BVC
+325|6696
If a terrorist organisation acts in some capacity resembling a nation, then it can be argued that a response appropriate to an international incident is acceptable.

Not speaking about specific conflicts here, just in general.  Its a very grey area.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Its not exactly a new thing though, since the US mutiny, Isreali terrorist gangs and so on.
The only difference now is WMD and technology give the terrorists the potential to strike with the force of nation states.
Should have seen that coming really.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its not exactly a new thing though, since the US mutiny, Isreali terrorist gangs and so on.
The only difference now is WMD and technology give the terrorists the potential to strike with the force of nation states.
Should have seen that coming really.
Are you really equating the people who fought in the American Revolution with AQ? Really?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6592

JohnG@lt wrote:

Are you really equating the people who fought in the American Revolution with AQ? Really?
Give the usual suspects a proper noun to describe something, they'll extend, abuse, and generally rape that noun's varied connotations with reckless abandon.

This is why their parents didn't allow them to have kittens as children.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They're both examples of asymmetric warfare which did not conform with the accepted standards of warfare at the time.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

They're both examples of asymmetric warfare which did not conform with the accepted standards of warfare at the time.
See? This is what I meant about you speaking on topics which you don't understand.

What exactly is asymmetrical about Bunker Hill, or the Battle of Long Island, or Saratoga, or the taking of Montreal or Yorktown, or Cowpens? They were all fought in line of battle against an opponent that fought in line of battle. Are you really taking "The Patriot" as your reference? My god. My first impression of you was correct, you really are a left wing version of a NASCAR fan. There isn't a single thought inside your head is there?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

What exactly is asymmetrical about Bunker Hill, or the Battle of Long Island, or Saratoga, or the taking of Montreal or Yorktown, or Cowpens?
I was talking about backwoodsmen, as I stated clearly already.
My first impression of you was correct, you really are a left wing version of a NASCAR fan. There isn't a single thought inside your head is there?
No, you just choose to ignore the facts in front of you and extrapolate from your own imaginings.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

What exactly is asymmetrical about Bunker Hill, or the Battle of Long Island, or Saratoga, or the taking of Montreal or Yorktown, or Cowpens?
And I already told you that they wore buckskin shirts as their uniform.

https://www.gareneker.com/images/garprods/cl010.gif
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Buckskins.JPG/200px-Buckskins.JPG

Good job comparing Revolutionary War soldiers to AQ terrorists though. Those are some outstanding mental gymnastic skills
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

My first impression of you was correct, you really are a left wing version of a NASCAR fan. There isn't a single thought inside your head is there?
No, you just choose to ignore the facts in front of you and extrapolate from your own imaginings.
Lrn2UShistory.

As John has said, most of the battles were fought conventionally, the only group that was terrorizing people were the son's of liberty, and that is about it.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But didn't the rest of the population wear buckskin shirts too?
The backwoodsmen I'm talking about are the ones who used to hide in bushes sniping at real soldiers, then running away to blend in with the local population - you know, like AQ and the Taliban do now.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

JohnG@lt wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

They're the equivalent of partisans and partisans have no rights. Throughout history they were strung up from the nearest tree without trial. The AQ people are getting far better treatment than any other partisans in history.
The founders of your nation would technically have been described as partisans. The fact of the matter is that the incumbent powers or those that are in a position of power will deem you to have 'no rights', whether you deserve them or not morally speaking. A 'moral' nation will/should not dismiss those rights. If they are powerful enough to be able to stamp all over morality then fair enough, but generally karma comes back to bite you in the ass.
What rights? The rights of an American citizen? They aren't Americans. The rights that they would've had in their own adopted country of Afghanistan? Public stonings and beheadings it is then!
I think anyone who has a just reason to wage war should have similar rights whether they wage war openly or clandestinely. Al Qaeda don't exactly have a just reason to wage war. Al Qaeda are not partisans - they're an international criminal organisation. And personally I believe in 'innocent until proven guilty' in matters of criminality. So they may be the lowest of the low in terms of scum, but one must remember that they could quite possibly be totally innocent. I don't see why presenting the evidence as to why they are accused in some sort of law court or military court is such a big deal. Parallels could be drawn to 'suspected' political 'criminals' being sent to gulags.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-11-23 15:39:40)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

CameronPoe wrote:

I think anyone who has a just reason to wage war should have similar rights whether they wage war openly or clandestinely.
But who is going to determine 'just'?
The US revolutionists reckoned their cause was just, the British reckoned they were treasonous scum who should have been drawn and quartered.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Dilbert_X wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I think anyone who has a just reason to wage war should have similar rights whether they wage war openly or clandestinely.
But who is going to determine 'just'?
The US revolutionists reckoned their cause was just, the British reckoned they were treasonous scum who should have been drawn and quartered.
Well that's the problem. Idealism fails. The powerful make the rules. The powerful are quite often not very just, not very principled and generally quite hypocritical. C'est la vie. Every now and then the powerful diverge just that little too much from what is generally bearable/acceptable and end up with a revolution on their hands. We are nowhere near that right now.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-11-23 15:51:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Dunno, Saudi Arabia could go either way, Pakistan may be worse.
rdx-fx
+955|6592

CameronPoe wrote:

Well that's the problem. Idealism fails. The powerful make the rules. The powerful are quite often not very just, not very principled and generally quite hypocritical. C'est la vie. Every now and then the powerful diverge just that little too much from what is generally bearable/acceptable and end up with a revolution on their hands. We are nowhere near that right now.
Sometimes Idealism works.

On rare occasion, idealism sparks a revolution that catches the powers-that-be unaware and unprepared.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dunno, Saudi Arabia could go either way, Pakistan may be worse.
Both of those countries, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to wake up in the morning to a news report that they were having a spontaneous 1979 Iraninan-style revolution.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

But didn't the rest of the population wear buckskin shirts too?
The backwoodsmen I'm talking about are the ones who used to hide in bushes sniping at real soldiers, then running away to blend in with the local population - you know, like AQ and the Taliban do now.
Please identify those units...with sources.

Make sure you point out/source where they were not wearing anything that clearly identified them as separate and distinct from the civilian populace and British soldiers.

While we're waiting for Dilbert to not do that...

Has the group come to an agreement that international law is insufficient to deal with the reality of non-state actors a la Al-Qaeda?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Colonists lined fences and hedgerows to snipe at the British column, which was soon in disarray.
http://www.founding.com/timeline/pageid … efault.asp

Sniping was considered cheating in those days.
They weren't units, thats the point.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Colonists lined fences and hedgerows to snipe at the British column, which was soon in disarray.

Good Lord. You don't understand the difference between a turn of phrase and a technical term nor the difference between organized and unorganized forces.

The use of the term "sniping" in that context meant "shooting" at the forces as they marched along. It's not like they were in ghillie suits with spotters and scopes shit, ffs.

And they were civilians spontaneously taking up arms, not organized militias/forces directed to do what they were doing--a clear difference from the irregular forces we are dealing with in Afghanistan and used to have to deal with in Iraq.

Dilbert_X wrote:

And there's where your argument falls apart. If they're just random people doing random things, they aren't organized and fighting purposefully against known laws of war. That is a key difference that you continue to choose to ignore.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Karbin
+42|6295

Dilbert_X wrote:

Things have changed a little since then..
It's called "Third Geneva Convention, relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War"

Article 4 Para 6

" Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs of war."

First.
The territory must start out as "Non-occupied"
Second.
"Respect the laws and customs of war"

The forces covered in art 4 (6) MUST operate under the Conventions until captured to rate P.O.W. status.
As well, if such forces, at a time after said invasion, fall under the control of regular armed units, they would then be under Article 4 Para 2.

When the U.S. went into Afg, you could have "fighters" covered under 4 (6) for around 24-48 hours. After that they would have to operate under
4 (2).
Fail to do so and they become "Unlawful combatants" and are not covered for P.O.W. status.

Source

http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/7c4d08d9b28 … 1e004a9e68

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard