-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5471|Ventura, California
Source - Foxnews

A magnitude 6.6 earthquake occurred at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday off the [b]Queen Charlotte Islands[b] off the west coast of British Columbia.
A spokesman at the Tsunami Warning Center in Palmer, Guy Urban, said it did not generate a tsunami. He says the quake was reportedly felt in Port Hardy and Prince Rupert, B.C.

The quake's epicenter was 414 miles northwest of Vancouver, British Columbia. There were no immediate reports of damage.
Quite lucky no tsunami was produced in this. It would have hit Japan (I think).

Did anybody feel it?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6652

Does anyone even live near where it hit? I thought Canada was all trees and bears 'n' shit.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

mtb0minime wrote:

Does anyone even live near where it hit? I thought Canada was all trees and bears 'n' shit.
Canada is a beautiful country with a large population. A lot of it's country hasn't even been explored yet. When you get further North in Canada it's nothing but trees as far as the eyes can see and mountains and tons of mini-lakes.

They can't even find crashed planes in those giant forests.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6505
https://www.rei.com/graphics/adventures/trips/bigmaps/namer_2.jpg

I live on Vancouver Island (south end).  Didn't feel anything How big is 6.6 and what is the radius of these for being felt?
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6505

-Sh1fty- wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Canada is a beautiful country with a large population. A lot of it's country hasn't even been explored yet. When you get further North in Canada it's nothing but trees as far as the eyes can see and mountains and tons of mini-lakes.

AussieReaper wrote:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rac_goshawk/facepalm.gif
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
6.6 is enough to break windows and underground pipes easily, (Well it depends on the type of ground and soil too so that's not really a benchmark)
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6652

Despite its magnitude, I doubt anyone felt it, mainly because you've got all that water to absorb it.
From my experiences in California, radii are usually around 50 miles I think?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

mtb0minime wrote:

Despite its magnitude, I doubt anyone felt it, mainly because you've got all that water to absorb it.
From my experiences in California, radii are usually around 50 miles I think?
I was in Ventura last summer and a 5.5 hit Los Angeles and I was in the shower and the water went out.

The chandelier was shaking according to my mom.

Ventura is quite far from L.A. AFAIK. 1.5 hour drive with no traffic!
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6409|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

You're not from Canada are you?
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6154|Vancouver | Canada
All the lights dimmed briefly at work...not sure if it was related.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2009-11-17 11:54:11)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

SplinterStrike wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

No but I'm well educated enough to know the landscape, climate and location of most countries.

We used to spend entire months on each continent in Geography.
SplinterStrike
Roamer

-Sh1fty- wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

No but I'm well educated enough to know the landscape, climate and location of most countries.

Alrighty then.

Most of our country is explored, not populated. We have 33 Million people living in our country, the second in the world for size. Most people are concentrated in the Montreal-Hull corridor. Dont mind the rectangle, the picture itself shows where most canadians live.
https://www.greenwoodguides.com/maps/canada/images/8b.jpg

We still have trees everywhere, but up North, not so much. The Baffin islands aren't so good on trees. Our mountains are concentrated in 5 regions.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/publications/tp14371/images/RAC2-12.gif

Mini lakes is right, we have water everywhere Manitoba is especially bad. Seasons are extremely varied, going from -30*C to +35*C where I live. Yes, we lose planes in the woods sometimes, it's getting to them which is hard. Our school lost a Piper Seminole just 4 months back cause it entered into a spin, took rescuers 4 hours to get to the plane and rescue the instructor/students.

Lastly, Canada is the land of awesome.

Last edited by SplinterStrike (2009-11-17 12:22:38)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

SplinterStrike wrote:

i was learning stuff and then BAM!
SplinterStrike
Roamer

burnzz wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

Yea, I like inserting random nonsensical facts into presentations. However, I think you'll come to agree we are indeed awesome.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire

SplinterStrike wrote:

burnzz wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

Yea, I like inserting random nonsensical facts into presentations. However, I think you'll come to agree we are indeed awesome.
yea. doubt we could ask for a more hat
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

SplinterStrike wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

Alrighty then.

Most of our country is explored, not populated. We have 33 Million people living in our country, the second in the world for size. Most people are concentrated in the Montreal-Hull corridor. Dont mind the rectangle, the picture itself shows where most canadians live.
http://www.greenwoodguides.com/maps/can … ges/8b.jpg

We still have trees everywhere, but up North, not so much. The Baffin islands aren't so good on trees. Our mountains are concentrated in 5 regions.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/publi … AC2-12.gif

Mini lakes is right, we have water everywhere Manitoba is especially bad. Seasons are extremely varied, going from -30*C to +35*C where I live. Yes, we lose planes in the woods sometimes, it's getting to them which is hard. Our school lost a Piper Seminole just 4 months back cause it entered into a spin, took rescuers 4 hours to get to the plane and rescue the instructor/students.

I already knew most of that. Just not that Canada has such a low population.

Have any of you seen Angel Falls, Open Range or Far from Home? Those movies are all shot in Canada. Some of which are trying to depict Central and Northern US. The book "Hatchet" is also a great book about a kid trying to survive a plane crash in Northern Canada

Canada is beautiful but I don't know enough about Canadians or their political system to say that they're, awesome.

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2009-11-17 12:47:30)

SplinterStrike
Roamer

RTHKI wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

burnzz wrote:

yea. doubt we could ask for a more hat
Couldn't ask for a better basement

EDIT- Here's a Globe and Mail link of the story.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat … le1366382/
There's been 3 aftershocks so far.

To Shifty, I'm not sure what you're trying to bring up with those movies   I find Hatchet is a tidbit far-fetched, but it's quite accurate in describing the remoteness of certain areas of Canada. Open Range was shot in Alberta, I have seen it. Very good movie. It does a fairly good representation of what some of our landscape is like. Here's a picture of Prince Edward Island, shot from my plane. It's farm fields  nearly EVERYWHERE in that province.

As for politics, I don't want to get into our system XD

Last edited by SplinterStrike (2009-11-17 13:05:15)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

burnzz wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

I learned everything I need to know from Survivorman.. the Canadian Boreal forest and Labrador episodes.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
canada sucks
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Mekstizzle wrote:

canada sucks
Careful, they strike.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Backupwayback
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
+73|6298
my house fell down

;(
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6642|Canada

SplinterStrike wrote:

Manitoba is especially bad.
Pff... walking to class when it's -50 (with the windchill) is awesome!
SplinterStrike
Roamer

CaptainMike wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

Manitoba is especially bad.
Pff... walking to class when it's -50 (with the windchill) is awesome!
Yea, heard you had to travel by canoe sometimes in the Spring

I hate the great plains in winter.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6656|BC, Canada

CanadianLoser wrote:

http://www.rei.com/graphics/adventures/ … amer_2.jpg

I live on Vancouver Island (south end).  Didn't feel anything How big is 6.6 and what is the radius of these for being felt?
wooohooo I'm in one of those towns.
SplinterStrike
Roamer

Nic wrote:

CanadianLoser wrote:

http://www.rei.com/graphics/adventures/ … amer_2.jpg

wooohooo I'm in one of those towns.
Wikipedia has a page comparing quakes to real things, in this case a 6.6 as such: 

Wikipedia wrote:

Can be destructive in areas up to about 160 kilometres (100 mi) across in populated areas.
It also explains the power difference from level to level, like 4.0 to 5.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard