AMTXP
+13|6645|California, USA
Put it back! It doesn't work for me....

Glad to see you got interested in www.1and1.com!

- Andrew

Last edited by AMTXP (2006-02-09 16:04:03)

mad_jihad
+0|6754
theres probably some sneaky catch that only allows u to use some taliban 56k servers for the first month free?
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6644
I do have to say, chuy. I think this is the best stats tracking website on the internet. It is the only one I care to use. You sure have a monster website going. Keep it up.

Last edited by Drunken_Tankdriver (2006-02-09 16:46:47)

https://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/acebigmack.png
GrammatonCleric
+0|6644|Houston, TX
It takes me about 5 minutes to load up the stats pages and the pictures don't even come out, I don't believe it is a problem on my end, but i could be wrong.  I just beg of you, for the love of god, go back to the way it was... please...
Apk
Beef Master
+0|6663|LAV
Its too bad Google doesn't host websites...They throw terabytes around like dimes
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6644
Aloha,

Been primarilly using bf2s.com to check up on my stats and because of the recent probs i've been using bf2player.com (boo! hiss! )..

Anyway, I did a few websites for the company I work for. Two of them are purely static content only that are on hosting providers and the others (essentially one site but with multiple virtual hosts for different customers etc) are on our own inhouse webserver with a backend sql server. This webserver is hosted on our ADSL connection, so I had to really optimise the pages to be as small as possible so as to prevent our line from getting hosed.

For obvious reasons I'm not going to give the addresses.

I've quickly looked at a few things which you may want to change:

* Images, you extensively use 8bit GIF images.
* HTML Generated code, includes extensive spacing
* Javascript code that should be moved to a seperate .js file.
* Compress your webpages.

Images (i'll give a couple of examples):

bg.gif (23,266 bytes) - contains 256 colours and is an 8bit (256 colour) file.
inner-header.gif (5,526 bytes) - contains 128 colours and is an 8bit (256 colour) file, if you want to reduce this filesize whilst not losing any quality reduce it to 7bit (128 colours).

Doing the above, (reducing the bit depth) slightly reduces the sizes of the images whilst not losing anything in quality.

However, we'll lose at most a few bytes to a kilobyte tops.

To really reduce the filesizes you need to use a different format. Aka, PNG.

Lets convert the two files to PNG images.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey/bf2s/new/bg.png (10,379 bytes)
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … header.png (3,426 bytes)

That's a reduction of 12,887 bytes for bg and 2,100 bytes for inner-header!

Now, that's just two images but essentially for most GIF images over half a kilobyte you'll find a reduction in filesize. For lower sized images say <100 bytes you'll find GIF to be the better choice.

HTML Generated code contains spacing:

There are a couple of ways to remove all that spacing;

A. Manually remove the spacing.
B. Remove it at the server side.

For "A" it makes the HTML less readable when you're needing to edit it but reduces the size of the HTML file sent to the client.
B is typically an Apache module or something for PHP that removes the spacing before sending it on to the client. Downside to this is it might increase processor usage on the server, upside to this is that it doesn't screw up the readability of your original HTML/PHP files.

Javascript code that should be moved to a .js file:

The reasoning for this is simple, web browser caches. Everytime a web browser visits the site it's downloading your newly generated version including the same javascript code every single time. By moving the javascript into a seperate .js file it'll reduce the bandwidth as the client won't typically redownload the .js file (after the first download) unless they've told the browser to disable the cache.

Compress your webpages:

Let's have a look at the HTTP headers typically served from your webserver;

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.0
Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:17:57 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.9

It appears as though you don't have gzip compression enabled for webpages, this can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the size of text. The downside is that it obviously uses processor time to compress the page and also there have been security issues in the past involving zlib.

Other stuff off the top of my head, you can move it onto something like perl and literally generate the pages on a schedule rather than everytime requested.

PS.

For saving images the Gimp is excellent, Photoshop and a lot of other commercial programs tend to add little bits of crap to the images that increase their filesize.

For an example of settings you should use for PNG saving under see below..

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey/bf2s/gimp.png

Mark

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2006-02-09 16:38:51)

AMTXP
+13|6645|California, USA
I would suggest compressing to .jpg. GIMP has a good compression feature for .jpg and no quality is lossed.

- Andrew
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

Chuy, are you rich? lol jk
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6644

AMTXP wrote:

I would suggest compressing to .jpg. GIMP has a good compression feature for .jpg and no quality is lossed.

- Andrew
I disagree, for images like spacer gifs etc the filesizes will always be smaller than JPEG. And you need to take into consideration that the person who created the GIF images in the first place for some reason wanted the GIF images to be lossless, there are JPEG images in use on the site.

If the owner has the original lossless versions of the current JPEG images he can compress them using the GIMP and typically gain either a better image quality at the same filesize or reduce the filesize than the current JPEG's and aim for the same image quality.

Now, i'm off to bed.. I suspect i'll notice a load of errors that i've typed tomorrow. (really tired)

Mark
WormGuts
+17|6786|Dayton, Ohio
Wow seems like a really good price.  Unfortunately i just spent about 15 minutes waiting for something to load (my new characters stats page).  I finally gave up and moved on when the status bar hadn't moved in 10 minutes.  I know something needed to be done, but i hope that it gets better than this.
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6648|Chandler, AZ
Well, the CSS sheets seem to be working fine, but load times are horrible and there are no images being displayed....

Im sure itll all be great once we get the hosting and server switch done...heck, could we maybe have sigs back?
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Aloha,

Been primarilly using bf2s.com to check up on my stats and because of the recent probs i've been using bf2player.com (boo! hiss! )..

Anyway, I did a few websites for the company I work for. Two of them are purely static content only that are on hosting providers and the others (essentially one site but with multiple virtual hosts for different customers etc) are on our own inhouse webserver with a backend sql server. This webserver is hosted on our ADSL connection, so I had to really optimise the pages to be as small as possible so as to prevent our line from getting hosed.

For obvious reasons I'm not going to give the addresses.

I've quickly looked at a few things which you may want to change:

* Images, you extensively use 8bit GIF images.
* HTML Generated code, includes extensive spacing
* Javascript code that should be moved to a seperate .js file.
* Compress your webpages.

Images (i'll give a couple of examples):

bg.gif (23,266 bytes) - contains 256 colours and is an 8bit (256 colour) file.
inner-header.gif (5,526 bytes) - contains 128 colours and is an 8bit (256 colour) file, if you want to reduce this filesize whilst not losing any quality reduce it to 7bit (128 colours).

Doing the above, (reducing the bit depth) slightly reduces the sizes of the images whilst not losing anything in quality.

However, we'll lose at most a few bytes to a kilobyte tops.

To really reduce the filesizes you need to use a different format. Aka, PNG.

Lets convert the two files to PNG images.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey/bf2s/new/bg.png (10,379 bytes)
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … header.png (3,426 bytes)

That's a reduction of 12,887 bytes for bg and 2,100 bytes for inner-header!

Now, that's just two images but essentially for most GIF images over half a kilobyte you'll find a reduction in filesize. For lower sized images say <100 bytes you'll find GIF to be the better choice.
PNG comes with it's own failings, of course. First of all, PNG gets rendered differntly from platform to platform and even on the same platform such as windows Firefox to IE. I went this method at first, but it failed.

Small reductions in the other files may be worth further optimization.

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

HTML Generated code contains spacing:

There are a couple of ways to remove all that spacing;

A. Manually remove the spacing.
B. Remove it at the server side.

For "A" it makes the HTML less readable when you're needing to edit it but reduces the size of the HTML file sent to the client.
B is typically an Apache module or something for PHP that removes the spacing before sending it on to the client. Downside to this is it might increase processor usage on the server, upside to this is that it doesn't screw up the readability of your original HTML/PHP files.
It's my theory that gzip compression completely negates the need to do white-space stripping. I have no yet tested this, however.

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Javascript code that should be moved to a .js file:

The reasoning for this is simple, web browser caches. Everytime a web browser visits the site it's downloading your newly generated version including the same javascript code every single time. By moving the javascript into a seperate .js file it'll reduce the bandwidth as the client won't typically redownload the .js file (after the first download) unless they've told the browser to disable the cache.
Most of it is. There are a few parts which I am lax on and haven't moved out.

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Compress your webpages:

Let's have a look at the HTTP headers typically served from your webserver;

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.0
Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:17:57 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.9

It appears as though you don't have gzip compression enabled for webpages, this can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the size of text. The downside is that it obviously uses processor time to compress the page and also there have been security issues in the past involving zlib.
Odd, all the pages on this site SHOULD be getting send out using gzip since I initialize it at the start via PHP. I'll check into this.

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Other stuff off the top of my head, you can move it onto something like perl and literally generate the pages on a schedule rather than everytime requested.
For a few pages, I already do this -- using php. The homepage, for instance, is (mostly) static with a few small parts updated on load. A few other pages are like this, however the majority of pages this wouldn't make sense to do this for. (There's a lot of reasons behind this that I'd rather not get into.)

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

For saving images the Gimp is excellent,
p.s., I loathe "The Gimp". As for photoshop adding extra "stuff" it only does that if you don't know how to use it

Also, there are fantastic "cruncher" programs out there that do even better -- mostly for PNG though.

Thanks for the input.
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6755

gasman14 wrote:

I extremely disagree with paying
He should get charged double...
Jag
+0|6644
Have you considered changing all your static urls to use the Coral cdn?

(ie: add .nyud.net:8090 to the end of the hostname in the URL)

More info here:
http://www.coralcdn.org/
dan500
+57|6840
This might sound stupid but i'll say it;

BF2s has grown a LOT, not only into a stats site, but into a big community (all them points are plus's).

Why not approach such companys as nvidia, ATi, BF2s already has a name on other website's, so why not ask these companys for sponsorship, I would not mind a something advertising for them, I think this site gets enough hits for big companys to think about this, just a idea.
PitViper401
The Magnetic Bullet Attractor
+31|6691|Illinois
I agree with dan500, I'm sure NVidia would pay nicely to sponsor the site, and I don't think many of us would be too bothered by the ads (as long as they aren't too intrusive or obnoxious).
wingman358
The Original
+11|6647
I second dan500's suggestion. Big brand name sponsorship (or rather, advertisement) might be a good idea. A couple million hits a day is pretty decent.
scooby
+0|6718
PM me, i have all the answers for you.
scooby will save the day.
NemeSiS-Factor
Favorite Weapon? Pistol
+29|6662|Everett, WA, US

Flecco wrote:

Well, I have a 1 min long loading time for a home page that looks nothing like it did... Dunno what you've done Chuy but I cant access the homepage anymore, when I do I'm greeted by white backround and black writing, in screwy places...

-EDIT-

Images of badges and whatnot on the stats screen don't show up properly either, I think what ever you did increased the load times of all the images.....

WTF? Its all back to normal all of a sudden... I have no idea wtf it was.... May have been an ISP prob on my end...
This happened to me twice today.  Don't know what it was, but it works now.
madsmao
+0|6786|Copenhagen, Denmark

Cougar wrote:

Chuy pwned a server.
Nope. We pwned the server. Chuy just made it possible
mad_jihad
+0|6754

madsmao wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Chuy pwned a server.
Nope. We pwned the server. Chuy just made it possible
well said lol i am proud to be part of the pwnage.
shadowdark1974
+0|6656|San Diego

dan500 wrote:

This might sound stupid but i'll say it;

BF2s has grown a LOT, not only into a stats site, but into a big community (all them points are plus's).

Why not approach such companys as nvidia, ATi, BF2s already has a name on other website's, so why not ask these companys for sponsorship, I would not mind a something advertising for them, I think this site gets enough hits for big companys to think about this, just a idea.
This might be a realy great idea I was asked today by a couple guys in the squad i was in about my video card and what i thought would be the best one for running BF2 with. That and i was asked about my joystick! ** I use a Saitek X45 for jets and my mouse and X45 throtle for Helos. Still working out tanks and jeeps.** But get a say three or four big names behind you and say have all four with ad on home page and maybe a rotating banner on the Fourm page that shows one then showes the next after a time........Might give you the extra help in cash to solve your problem. That and i have heard that they have been know to give gifts to people/companies that give them a boost. So if you were to be able to get backing by who ever it is that makes your servers and let it be known that they are the servers behind the site. Maybe they would hook you up with a better one!
       P.S. I don't know about software to save my life, Hardware a little......get me in to the components I.E. resistors, Caps, and Leds then i know whats going on. So bear with me If i get some things wrong.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6644

chuyskywalker wrote:

PNG comes with it's own failings, of course. First of all, PNG gets rendered differntly from platform to platform and even on the same platform such as windows Firefox to IE. I went this method at first, but it failed.

It's my theory that gzip compression completely negates the need to do white-space stripping. I have no yet tested this, however.

Most of it is. There are a few parts which I am lax on and haven't moved out.

Odd, all the pages on this site SHOULD be getting send out using gzip since I initialize it at the start via PHP. I'll check into this.

For a few pages, I already do this -- using php. The homepage, for instance, is (mostly) static with a few small parts updated on load. A few other pages are like this, however the majority of pages this wouldn't make sense to do this for. (There's a lot of reasons behind this that I'd rather not get into.)

p.s., I loathe "The Gimp". As for photoshop adding extra "stuff" it only does that if you don't know how to use it

Also, there are fantastic "cruncher" programs out there that do even better -- mostly for PNG though.

Thanks for the input.
Right, about the PNG colour problem. This is the gamma setting, you can sync up the colouring between IE and Firefox if memory serves. (i'll look into this when I get into work, I had the same problem)

While using gzip compression does significantly reduce filesize removing whitespace before compression and then gzipping will make the output slightly smaller. (marginally so)

I use Photoshop all the time (I work at a print company) and I freely admit that Gimp's JPEG, GIF and PNG image exporters are better. Gimp is most definitely the inferior graphics application but its image savers for the above formats are better.

Yeah, PNG cruncher programs.. forgot about those.

Mark
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Right, about the PNG colour problem. This is the gamma setting, you can sync up the colouring between IE and Firefox if memory serves. (i'll look into this when I get into work, I had the same problem)
I'm all ears, all the literature I've read says otherwise.

While using gzip compression does significantly reduce filesize removing whitespace before compression and then gzipping will make the output slightly smaller. (marginally so)
I double checked and I am certainly sending out gzipped content -- make sure, however, that when you do the request you have your testing setup include the "accepts: gzip" header Otherwise PHP is smart enough to NOT do that.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

As a side note, I've moved the images and JS back to the main server. I've turned off some award images for the time being, sorry, until I can get the load under wraps.

Also, the new server shipped today, so once that gets here, formatted, and installed, things should REALLY get better.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard