ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

SonderKommando wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Yeah, you can break away from pyramids for awhile.  If you just want to gain more size just hypertrophy train 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets with 3/4 exercises per body part.
So I pick a number between 8 and 12 reps for all the sets? Or I aim for 12, with min. of 8?
I generally go for 12, but if you are fatigued by your last set and can only squeeze out its within the rep range.  take about 1.5-2min between sets.
That's interesting to know, I've been doing 15. I guess I'll whack some more weight on.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma
Increasing weight between sets? or staying constant?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

I've been doing eg 40-45-40
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6659|The darkside of Denver

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Increasing weight between sets? or staying constant?
You want to lift as heavy as you can while maintaning rep range. If you feel you can go up then do it.l
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney
So if I can do 12 reps on my first set with a 30 second break in between sets and by the third set the last few reps are quite challenging to get to 12, is the weight too light?
Should I increase the weight and breaks between sets? And go for an 8 minimum but try to push to 12?
It's not like this for every exercise but it is for some. On those ones the first set is moderate, the second I'm definitely feeling it by the last couple reps and the third set the last 3 are quite difficult to maintain proper form.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-11-17 15:14:39)

SonderKommando

Jaekus wrote:

So if I can do 12 reps on my first set with a 30 second break in between sets and by the third set the last few reps are quite challenging to get to 12, is the weight too light?
Should I increase the weight and breaks between sets? And go for an 8 minimum but try to push to 12?
It's not like this for every exercise but it is for some. On those ones the first set is moderate, the second I'm definitely feeling it by the last couple reps and the third set the last 3 are quite difficult to maintain proper form.
IMO if youre hitting twelve still on teh last set you can afford to go up a little.  I generally will hit 12-12-10 or 12 10 10
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
Ok cool. I just did my workout for today but I'll push it up for tomorrow.

This has been my routine for the past couple weeks (now on my fourth week of working out and dieting, took a couple weeks to get the workout sorted).

What are your thoughts on this? (all using dumbbells) I haven't exactly been the fittest person in the past so I'm just trying to condition my body to a fit level, cut the body fat and build up some lean muscle before taking it to the next level.

Mon/Wed/Fri

5 mins cardio (warmup)

Dumbbell curls
Tri kickbacks
Tri extensions
Chest press
Flyes
Squats
Lunges

Stretches.

Tues/Thurs/Sat

5 mins cardio (warmup)

Deadlifts (straight leg)
Bent over one arm rows
Shoulder presses (seated)
Reverse flyes (bent over, seated)
Side lateral lifts
Front lateral lifts
Upright rows

Stretches

Ab/core exercises (P90X Ab ripper X, it nearly kills me lol and I can barely get to 10 reps on some of them, some I can't even get that far. Others I can do the full 25).

Anything that I'm not doing or should be doing?

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-11-17 15:28:36)

SonderKommando

Jaekus wrote:

This has been my routine for the past couple weeks (now on my fourth week of working out and dieting, took a couple weeks to get the workout sorted).

What are your thoughts on this? (all using dumbbells) I haven't exactly been the fittest person in the past so I'm just trying to condition my body to a fit level, cut the body fat and build up some lean muscle before taking it to the next level.

Mon/Wed/Fri

5 mins cardio (warmup)

Dumbbell curls
Tri kickbacks
Tri extensions
Chest press
Flyes
Squats
Lunges

Stretches.

Tues/Thurs/Sat

5 mins cardio (warmup)

Deadlifts (straight leg)
Bent over one arm rows
Side lateral lifts
Front lateral lifts
Upright rows

Stretches

Ab/core exercises (P90X Ab ripper X, it nearly kills me lol and I can barely get to 10 reps on some of them, some I can't even get that far. Others I can do the full 25).

Just giving it a quick look over it seems to be a decent split for a beginner. Once you start feeling comfortable you should consider doing a more dedicated regimen.  For example group Chest/Tri, Back/BI, Shoulders (traps/delts front and rear), and Legs.  Then from there if youre serious you can give each part a dedicated day.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma
Chest/Tri, Back/Bi
or
Chest/Bi, Back/Tri?
SonderKommando

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Chest/Tri, Back/Bi
or
Chest/Bi, Back/Tri?
Chest and Tri and back and Bi.

those muscle group work together.

* note that I dont train this way.  My split is Legs, Shoulders, Arms, Back, Chest. Each as its own day.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-11-17 16:49:08)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
I generally use 10 reps as my limit, unless it is abs, calves, or forearms. Once I hit 10 solid, I add another 5 pounds per arm.

Anyway, my back day is this: Back/Bi/Forearms

Wide grip lat pulldown
One arm dumbbell row
T-bar row
Alternate dumbbell curl
Preacher curl
Incline Dumbbell curl
Reverse barbell curl
Seated Palm-up barbell wrist curl
Back extensions

I want to put Dead lifts in there, would t-bar row be appropriate to swap with it?
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6595|Toronto-Canada
i'm also replacing the deads with the t bar, not becuase  i'm lazy but whenever i go to the gym, someone is always using the Olympic bar and i have to wait  and i rather do the exercise that require the most work first instead of after doing all the others
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

i thought a low resting bpm is just how big your heart is, not how fit it is?
Sure it might lead you to be able to do more than someone with a higher bpm, but it was always recovery afaik.
It's how efficient your cardiopulmonary system functions. That's why LA's heartrate is so slow, because his is so damn efficient.

Mine runs just under 50 at rest, which isn't too shabby.
Its much more to do with having a large heart, efficiency would be a measure of how much energy you burn, not heart rate.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

SonderKommando wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Mon/Wed/Fri

5 mins cardio (warmup)

Dumbbell curls
Tri kickbacks
Tri extensions
Chest press
Flyes
Squats
Lunges

Stretches.

Tues/Thurs/Sat

5 mins cardio (warmup)

Deadlifts (straight leg)
Bent over one arm rows
Side lateral lifts
Front lateral lifts
Upright rows

Stretches

Just giving it a quick look over it seems to be a decent split for a beginner. Once you start feeling comfortable you should consider doing a more dedicated regimen.  For example group Chest/Tri, Back/BI, Shoulders (traps/delts front and rear), and Legs.  Then from there if youre serious you can give each part a dedicated day.
Thanks, that's good to know.

So once I start on the new regimen (maybe a month from now), how should I plan my week, day by day?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can, it's quite an interesting journey to be on once you start!

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-11-17 22:07:15)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5763|Belgium
Physio's really helping a great deal. Knee's never felt so stable in the past 3 years lol, and this only after 3 sessions
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

SonderKommando wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Ok, I'll bear that in mind. I thought Zimmer recommended doing abs every time you workout though?
Any comments on reps? I need to change from 10-8-6 I think. Or should I just change most of the exercises and stay 10-8-6?
Yeah, you can break away from pyramids for awhile.  If you just want to gain more size just hypertrophy train 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets with 3/4 exercises per body part. 

Training abs everyday would be like bench pressing everyday or doing arms everyday.. Its not necessary.  But Zimm and I disagree on a number of things.

If you train them everyday you have the risk of muscle imbalance and over training.  Especially if you are exhausting the muscles with each ab workout.  They are muscles just like the rest of them, they need rest to grow and develop.
No, you're right. Training abs should be every second day.

It's not exactly like doing chest, because your stomach is a much more resilient muscle and regenerates a lot quicker (in terms of energy) so doing it every second day is a good plan. I was wrong to advise doing abs every day. Nothing should be done every day other than stretching - but do note that if you aren't particularly tight, stretching can actually hinder your exercises and injure you. There was a medical report submitted about stretching before exercise a few months back explaining it, but I can't find it atm.

Seems like everyone is progressing well... I haven't been able to do chest or shoulders for quite some time now due to an impingement of my rotator cuff... It nearly tore, which would have been a disaster. Letting it calm down and will start up in a few days.
SonderKommando

Zimmer wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Ok, I'll bear that in mind. I thought Zimmer recommended doing abs every time you workout though?
Any comments on reps? I need to change from 10-8-6 I think. Or should I just change most of the exercises and stay 10-8-6?

Training abs everyday would be like bench pressing everyday or doing arms everyday.. Its not necessary.  But Zimm and I disagree on a number of things.

If you train them everyday you have the risk of muscle imbalance and over training.  Especially if you are exhausting the muscles with each ab workout.  They are muscles just like the rest of them, they need rest to grow and develop.

It's not exactly like doing chest, because your stomach is a much more resilient muscle and regenerates a lot quicker (in terms of energy) so doing it every second day is a good plan. I was wrong to advise doing abs every day. Nothing should be done every day other than stretching - but do note that if you aren't particularly tight, stretching can actually hinder your exercises and injure you. There was a medical report submitted about stretching before exercise a few months back explaining it, but I can't find it atm.

Seems like everyone is progressing well... I haven't been able to do chest or shoulders for quite some time now due to an impingement of my rotator cuff... It nearly tore, which would have been a disaster. Letting it calm down and will start up in a few days.
Well of course not literally like training chest everyday, it was just a comparison Zim

I hope your cuff heals soon brother.  I know a few dudes who've sustained shoulder injuries from training.  Its not something that should be pushed ya know?  Let it heal.  Guess thats advice better given than taken.... Just stay safe my man.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Problem is, it had nothing to do with my workouts. The physio said impingements "just happen". I was just unlucky enough to get it.
SonderKommando
talk about some shitty cards.  Well get better man, the gym isnt goign anywhere.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5763|Belgium

SonderKommando wrote:

talk about some shitty cards.  Well get better man, the gym isnt goign anywhere.
Thank god
SonderKommando

Jebus wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Thank god
for shizzle.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma

Zimmer wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

I never said every day
I said every time you workout, which for me is every other day at max.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

I never said every day
I said every time you workout, which for me is every other day at max.
Every second workout, to put it better.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
Just ordered a kilo of whey (oh yeah I got the JLM thing awhile ago too).

I just alternate days between arms/chest, abs and jogging/running/football/cardio. Nothing too complex
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6459|UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

Just ordered a kilo of whey (oh yeah I got the JLM thing awhile ago too).

I just alternate days between arms/chest, abs and jogging/running/football/cardio. Nothing too complex
Where did you get the whey from?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard