Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5196|Sydney
I've been using a towel to remove any excess sweat if I feel my grip starting to slip. That's about the best I can manage.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4860|Amsterdam
I've tried wiping it and I've tried gloves. In the end i suppose chalk would be best, but most gyms dont allow it and I dont even feel like going through the effort of getting it.
So far, the best thing which removes all my grip troubles is paper. Plain amd simple. Get some some of that paper towel roll they've always got hanging in every gym, fold it a couple of times and voila.
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
That's an interesting suggestion. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
Protip: Wrap your fingers around one side of the bar and your thumb around the other. A friend of mine didn't doing bench-presses.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6640|Little Bentcock
suicide grip
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

Protip: Wrap your fingers around one side of the bar and your thumb around the other. A friend of mine didn't doing bench-presses.
Don't do this when doing squats though.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Don't do this when doing squats though.
I have a problem just getting my hands inside the weights. Seems like I'm straining my shoulders unnaturally or something.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
Bench press was troubling me yesterday. I'm benching 10kg lighter because I'm now using a full range of motion but it is troubling my shoulders.

Should I instead bring the bar down to approx 2 inches above my chest, instead of touching it? This would mean my elbows are at right angles and my upper arms parallel to the ground. I consider this to be a sufficient range of motion to get an effective workout, but is it optimal?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4860|Amsterdam
I never touch my chest. Most people, when they intend to do so on a good rep, will let it slam down too hard when they're tired. I believe Rippetoe always advised to leave enough room for a flat hand to fit inbetween your chest and the bar. If you ask me, and inch or two won't do you any harm and it might even do you some good; whereas touching the chest might do good, but can cause harm (slamming heavy weights on your ribs can get painful)

Last edited by Kampframmer (2013-01-24 06:19:32)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4860|Amsterdam
Shocking, do you still go to all-inn? If so, where can I find the 1.25kg plates (if they even have any)?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6017|...
I've only been there twice, I live 5 mins from de uithof gym so I train there. Can't tell you tbh but they should have them as I do remember using them. I'm sure they're somewhere ask one of the regulars or an employee

Oh and if people slam the weight on their chest they're just not benching properly. There's no danger of the bar dropping on your chest if you execute the motion in a controlled manner - you get used to it after a while too cause you know how far you need to drop to hit the chest. I just touch my t-shirt these days and barely feel it touching the chest.

Jaekus wrote:

Bench press was troubling me yesterday. I'm benching 10kg lighter because I'm now using a full range of motion but it is troubling my shoulders.

Should I instead bring the bar down to approx 2 inches above my chest, instead of touching it? This would mean my elbows are at right angles and my upper arms parallel to the ground. I consider this to be a sufficient range of motion to get an effective workout, but is it optimal?
not optimal but it'll do if your shoulders really are a problem. Does the pain occur on flat db presses as well? Is the pain only there when you max or all throughout warmup included?

As I'm mentioning db presses and you're into aesthetics let me just say that they're superior in every aspect to bench pressing except in developing raw pressing strength. As there's no bar you can let the DB's go all the way to the sides of your chest giving an even larger range of motion + the weight is always equally distributed. As you're holding two weights balance is more important as well.

Last edited by Shocking (2013-01-24 06:45:07)

inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
I wasn't touching my chest for a couple months and worked my way up to 70kg for 6 reps. I've since dropped down to 60kg and can barely get 7 reps out, and yesterday my shoulders felt sore after I finished benching.

After I made that post I read the article here. I found it interesting how he made the point that not touching the chest could be considered a better workout as there is more time under tension. But really my main concern is my shoulders. I want to be lifting for a very long time without injury with continual progressive overload but at the same time do what is considered a proper rep each time. For this reason I dropped back to 90kg squats so I can go below parallel, rather than 100kg where I'm a fraction above.

Anyway, it's something that I've been at conflict with in my mind and I wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks guys.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6017|...
His 'tension' thing rests on the assumption that you bounce the bar on your chest or otherwise let it rest on your chest a bit. That's not what you're supposed to do. Lightly tap & go.

It's not about being a pussy or any of that it's just about getting the most out of your excersise. Executing the bench completely is better than stopping a few inches short for strength and muscle building as it recruits all the tissue in the pressing motion. And I mean all the involved tissue, which is much more than just the chest. More advanced trainees will concentrate on a specific part of the rep and do 'cheat reps' (just look at for example how top raw powerlifters train or how ronnie coleman benches). There won't be a big difference if you stop 2-3 inches short of touching your chest (as the guy states he thinks his chest is still his best part) but it's just not optimal end of - and you lose out on strength.

anyhow from a functional strength pov you could argue incline pressing is more important as well anyway and dbs (which I already mentioned).

Last edited by Shocking (2013-01-24 06:55:52)

inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney

Shocking wrote:

Does the pain occur on flat db presses as well? Is the pain only there when you max or all throughout warmup included?
It has in the past but not recently. I don't do them all that often but I've got the form down well now; when I started I was having trouble using 15kg dbs, now I can use 25kg without balance problems with my forearms and activate the pecs much better without shoulder pain.

As I'm mentioning db presses and you're into aesthetics let me just say that they're superior in every aspect to bench pressing except in developing raw pressing strength. As there's no bar you can let the DB's go all the way to the sides of your chest giving an even larger range of motion + the weight is always equally distributed. As you're holding two weights balance is more important as well.
All good points. You've definitely made me consider this. I think I have to convince myself to either let go or pull back on bench press with a barbell. Maybe a warmup and 1 working set on the barbell followed by 1-2 working sets on dbs.

I see your point about it perhaps not being optimal to stop the bar from touching, but shoulder pain is definitely not optimal. Partly the dilemma is not trusting my own technique whilst trying to execute a full range of motion.

When I use dbs I'm on an incline anyway (roughly 20 degrees from horizontal) so perhaps I'm better off going that path and getting the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-01-24 07:02:35)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6017|...
You can combine the two very well if you know how. Go heavy on your barbell bench followed by light work with DBs. Or if you bench multiple times a week, go DBs one day and barbell the other.

oh and if your wrists ever bother you get weightlifting wraps.

Last edited by Shocking (2013-01-24 07:03:24)

inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
Yeah I think I might try mixing the dbs in with the bb.
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
Has to be shopped.

https://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/529062_628377363854985_1211995937_n.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
Video...

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6017|...
That's a 500 pound squat. Either the strongest woman in the world or fake plates like some douchebags on youtube use (imo it looks a bit too easy, only people like Andy Bolton shoot up 500 like that). Still, it gets really ridiculous when you realise that there's people out there doing squats nearing 1100 lbs. Genetic freaks.

Also those people weigh over 350 lbs. I'd be surprised if she weighed over 160. Calling BS tbh.

Last edited by Shocking (2013-01-25 09:33:18)

inane little opines
Adams_BJ
That spotter is loving it
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney

Shocking wrote:

That's a 500 pound squat. Either the strongest woman in the world or fake plates like some douchebags on youtube use (imo it looks a bit too easy, only people like Andy Bolton shoot up 500 like that). Still, it gets really ridiculous when you realise that there's people out there doing squats nearing 1100 lbs. Genetic freaks.

Also those people weigh over 350 lbs. I'd be surprised if she weighed over 160. Calling BS tbh.
So am I, for the same reasons. She's not even straining to lift that weight, it's like it's just another day at the office.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Bullshit...or

https://i.imgur.com/Gobjvgy.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
If they had removed two plates from either side it would've seemed legit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Maybe she's trying to pass as Wonder Woman.
Adams_BJ
She'd break your dick off with her butt cheeks

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard