FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6561|'Murka

Leg, back, abs drop set workout.

I think I'm going to do one drop set workout per week, per split (2 total per week). At least for a while, anyway. It's a good shock to the system, getting me out of my routine.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

https://i.imgur.com/NXKVi.png
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6773|Little Bentcock
lol
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5329|Sydney
Went up another rep on my squats today, did 8x 105kg then 9x 95kg. Slowly losing weight to the tune of between 0.5 - 1kg a week.
Adams_BJ
Nice. Legs tonight, not really looking forward to it. Squats just don't feel right.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Mark Rippetoe is considered a leading authority on the big compounds like the squat.

Some great info here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ … #The_Squat
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Squat_Videos

If you want to know more you can buy Starting Strength from Amazon (I did last year). The squat section alone is something like 50+ pages.
Adams_BJ
The thing about them is I don't like the way they feel. I get the burn in my legs as if you have a good heavy weight, but I know I can lift more. Maybe its just because its such a big movement.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
It's because they're such a big movement. I still get that even on warm ups. And I still get the DOMS afterwards. Got them now actually, right in the quads.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Legs are also the bigget muscles in your body. They're always the most taxing to properly workout and it's often said that working legs are what separates the men from the boys.

There's a guy at my gym who's fairly ripped and built in his shoulders, chest and arms. I see him there every week and he goes and does lots of upper body work. Never once seen him squat or deadlift and he's got legs like toothpicks. Looks slightly ridiculous
Adams_BJ
My biceps and shoulders grow like crazy, chest, back and legs are lagging. I don't even work my biceps outside of compounds. Maybe its just in my Genes.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
It probably is genetic. My PT is way stronger than me but I still have bigger calves his are tiny. He said his dad's are the same.

I seem to struggle a bit on the bench and most other people in the gym seem to be able to bench more than me but those same people often aren't squatting nor deadlifting what I am.
Adams_BJ
I have chicken legs like my dad
FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

Legs are also the bigget muscles in your body. They're always the most taxing to properly workout and it's often said that working legs are what separates the men from the boys.

There's a guy at my gym who's fairly ripped and built in his shoulders, chest and arms. I see him there every week and he goes and does lots of upper body work. Never once seen him squat or deadlift and he's got legs like toothpicks. Looks slightly ridiculous
Like this?
https://i.imgur.com/gvfic.jpg
Sooo much doucheyness in that pic...
― Albert Einstein

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam
Calves and forearm suffer from the same blight; that is that genetics play a large role in their development. The way your muscles develop and how they turn out has a lot to do with exercise, but muscle insertions will determine a lot of the way they will end up looking and this, i'm afraid, is genetic and can't really be changed (asymmetrical abs are a simple example).
If you have small hands and feet you will most likely have a small wrist and ankle circumference, which in turn will mean that you most likely have very long and thing tendons there. These can't be trained and thus you will either have to isolate the muscle above it really badly, but even then it's no guarantee and you will always have small calves and forearms. Now I say 'most likely' a lot here and that's because there's always exceptions to the rule. Calve isolation did nothing for me, but forearm isolation did (i stopped doing it because i felt like my arms started to look like chicken drumsticks with my small wrists and hands).
There is something to be said for the ecto, endo and meso theory. I don't think you can put people in one of these 3 boxed all that easily, but whenever I do it's mostly based on muscle insertion, mainly the wrist and ankle.
You can often tell if a bodybuilder came to be from a skinny lad or a average/fat guy. The ones that came from skinny will often have still have thin wrists and ankles and thus small (or high up) calves and forearms.

The pic FEOS posted, however, is just a twat, considering his upper body is doing just fine.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6441|Washington St.

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Like this?

There's absolutely no way that picture is real. Nobody would let that happen to themselves.

At least I hope to god it's not real.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Like this?

Yeah except not as much size through the upper body but even less so through the legs. They guy in question, I honestly believe I had bigger legs at 14 than he does now, and he's easily early 20s.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney

pirana6 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Like this?

There's absolutely no way that picture is real. Nobody would let that happen to themselves.

Looks pretty real. I saw two guys at a music festival last year with their shirts off that looked like they'd both match this physique.

They were also carrying on like total douches, adding to the doucheyness.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5693|Toronto

Jaekus wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Like this?

Looks pretty real. I saw two guys at a music festival last year with their shirts off that looked like they'd both match this physique.

Actually, the picture is entirely real, but it didn't happen because the guy is a shitty person who doesn't work out legs. I saw the backstory somewhere a long time ago (this picture has been around forever), and apparently he was injured and lost use of his legs for a while and chose to stay active as best he could by working upper body. You're looking at the first steps of his rehabilitation.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Why you take all the fun out of things?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam

Pochsy wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Actually, the picture is entirely real, but it didn't happen because the guy is a shitty person who doesn't work out legs. I saw the backstory somewhere a long time ago (this picture has been around forever), and apparently he was injured and lost use of his legs for a while and chose to stay active as best he could by working upper body. You're looking at the first steps of his rehabilitation.
Saw that too and it reeked of bullshit. I think this whole story was posted on tumblr or some other very reliable source of truth like that.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5693|Toronto

Kampframmer wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Saw that too and it reeked of bullshit. I think this whole story was posted on tumblr or some other very reliable source of truth like that.
Yeah, I can't confirm anything on the internet. But if you want to pass harsh judgment on the character of the individual based on appearance without all the facts, I'm not going to say anything. He certainly is the reason you want to work legs, but I think extending that to claiming he is 'douche-bag' is reaching a little too far for me, personally.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam

Pochsy wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Yeah, I can't confirm anything on the internet. But if you want to pass harsh judgment on the character of the individual based on appearance without all the facts, I'm not going to say anything. He certainly is the reason you want to work legs, but I think extending that to claiming he is 'douche-bag' is reaching a little too far for me, personally.
It's not the first picture I've seen of someone with horrible a horrible case of chicken legs.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5693|Toronto

Kampframmer wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

It's not the first picture I've seen of someone with horrible a horrible case of chicken legs.
I understand you are making generalizations based on experience. I say moving them into personal insults is too extreme.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
I wouldn't call someone who doesn't work legs a douche per se. The guy I see at my gym seems like a nice guy in the handful of words we've exchanged when checking if the other has finished using the bench etc. But I sometimes want to ask if he does actually work his legs. It's not just his calves, and it's hard to tell someone's quads without them actually showing you but there does appear to be no development in his lower body at all, whilst his upper body is obviously developed.

My PT has what I first considered under developed calves but he has shown me his quads several times, both at the gym and a natural BB show he appeared in earlier this year (and reps 10x with my current 1RM). He said his dad has chicken legs so I guess he's just doomed to that.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5693|Toronto

Jaekus wrote:

I wouldn't call someone who doesn't work legs a douche per se. The guy I see at my gym seems like a nice guy in the handful of words we've exchanged when checking if the other has finished using the bench etc. But I sometimes want to ask if he does actually work his legs. It's not just his calves, and it's hard to tell someone's quads without them actually showing you but there does appear to be no development in his lower body at all, whilst his upper body is obviously developed.

My PT has what I first considered under developed calves but he has shown me his quads several times, both at the gym and a natural BB show he appeared in earlier this year (and reps 10x with my current 1RM). He said his dad has chicken legs so I guess he's just doomed to that.
I think I fall into the category of losing the genetic lottery as well. My legs are pretty strong for my size, but they ain't pretty. Anyone have a spare syringe?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard