Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6013|...
Nieuwegein mostly, next year here in Utrecht with the USAC.

If you're interested in climbing a new mountain network gym has opened in Amsterdam, it looks great. It's also the home of the ASAC.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-07-07 09:20:53)

inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

Nieuwegein mostly, next year here in Utrecht with the USAC.

If you're interested in climbing a new mountain network gym has opened in Amsterdam, it looks great. It's also the home of the ASAC.
I've climbed a bit before and i wanted to get into it given that i have plenty of time on my hands and wanted another physical challenge next to lifting.
I went to the climbing hall near Sloterdijk (theres 2 in amsterdam, the other's near CS) and they reqired that you took their 4 day climbing course, which i refused given that i only need to know the ropes (literally, only needed like 5 min to have someone explain the knots that i forgot)

It's just a bit of casual exercise and fun that i wanted to do, no big commitment or anything.

I'm going to study in Utrecht next year so I might check out the climbing hall there once i find a place to live
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6013|...
The halls here in Utrecht aren't great. Very busy (waiting in line for the ropes etc), not a high ceiling and not very large. It's only really accessible with the USAC. Nieuwegein is pretty good (sans the boulder area - small & kinda bad), the MN hall in Amsterdam is great. They moved from an old church to an entirely new location, dunno exactly where. Lots of ropes, great ceiling and a huge bouldering area.

You can climb 'for fun' or 'more serious', though you need your basic climbing licence to do either really. It's not a bad idea to follow the introductory course. It's 4 lessons and easy, if you're a member of one of the NSACs, it's really cheap as well (although you'll need NKBV membership to join + contribution so it kinda evens out). Regular price is about 75 euros, but from then on you'll be able to climb independently in a pair.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-07-07 09:33:33)

inane little opines
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5192|Sydney
Yesterday we did a chest and back workout till failure on all working sets.

When doing my chest I have this pain in my right shoulder joint, it's been like it for a long time. It feels like I'm using my shoulder to help push the weight up, though when I was doing the lifts my PT put both hands on my shoulders and said they felt even and neither was lifting up. I think I need to see a physiotherapist
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

When doing my chest I have this pain in my right shoulder joint, it's been like it for a long time. It feels like I'm using my shoulder to help push the weight up, though when I was doing the lifts my PT put both hands on my shoulders and said they felt even and neither was lifting up. I think I need to see a physiotherapist
most likely your rotator cuff (possibly tendonitis). If it's still in a very early stage you can get rid of it by not doing upper body work for a week or 2 and then slowly build it up again. Maybe skip the bench press and other exercises that hurt for a month.
If it's already in an advanced state you have to see a physiotherapist.

This is the kind of injury that, if not treated properly, can set you back months.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
I've also got some bench press pointers for you in order to prevent these kind of injuries.
Actually, it's just two small things, but they can make one hell of a difference.

Pin your shoulders together and keep a straight grip. By a straight grip i mean that your hand should be on the same line as your forearm, so don't bend your wrist.
Jaekus
+957|5192|Sydney

Kampframmer wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

most likely your rotator cuff (possibly tendonitis). If it's still in a very early stage you can get rid of it by not doing upper body work for a week or 2 and then slowly build it up again. Maybe skip the bench press and other exercises that hurt for a month.
If it's already in an advanced state you have to see a physiotherapist.

This is the kind of injury that, if not treated properly, can set you back months.
See I don't know if it's an injury. It never hurts any other time and yet it's been like this for years. My theory is that years of carrying a heavy bag over my right shoulder at school and then playing bass guitar a hell of a lot has permanently made my shoulder cuff rotate forward a touch so when I do bench press exercises it can hurt a bit.

Note that I did start with incline bench presses, followed by a set of flat bench, then tried to to the machine. That hurt so we tried flyes but that hurt too, so we moved onto the back. Strangely enough, and I told him it would happen before it did, the second I started doing wide grip lat pull downs the pain disappeared, by the second to third rep no less.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6013|...
Try benching with dumbbells and see if you still get the same problem. DB benching is better for almost all purposes anyway.
inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
I would still see a physiotherapist about it
Jaekus
+957|5192|Sydney
I was bench dumbbells too and it was fine. Actually benching is normally fine. I'm thinking perhaps it was the incline that did it, though it's still obvious to me I need to see a physio about it when I can afford the time and money.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6013|...
lol pudzian

warmup with more than what most people max

inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5192|Sydney
That guy is a machine.

I felt pretty good about squatting 8 reps of 95kg an hour ago but that guy is warming up on OHP with that much
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6205|Roma
I'd say most can't max what he warms up with
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
Who's going to watch the olympic weightlifting this year?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6013|...

Jaekus wrote:

That guy is a machine.

I felt pretty good about squatting 8 reps of 95kg an hour ago but that guy is warming up on OHP with that much
Looks like it's probably more..

PrivateVendetta wrote:

I'd say most can't max what he warms up with
same shit
inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6013|...

Kampframmer wrote:

Who's going to watch the olympic weightlifting this year?

He's gonna take it again

oh nvm I just saw he quit in 2008 wtf

Last edited by Shocking (2012-07-11 04:48:00)

inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
My right wrist hurts when doing barbell rows. It doesn't hurt with any other exercise, not even wrist curls (unless i do them right after barbell rows).
It feels like my grip isnt right on that hand and it's like im twisting my wrist a bit in- (or out)wards when pulling the bar up.

Any ideas or suggestions?
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6205|Roma
Underhand or Overhand?
I think I started underhand, but found it uncomfortable and changed. Can't remember though, was a while ago.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
palms facing in.

e: how to did i fuck that up?

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-07-17 03:00:13)

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6205|Roma
Palms facing in? as in towards your body?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
yes
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
Thats the standard way of doing rows.
With palms facing out you put more emphasis on your biceps. Thats all fun and games, but I dont do rows for my biceps.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6205|Roma
Dunno. Widen, or narrow the grip?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
I've been fiddling around with grip width.
I think i might need to go wider.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
Completely unrelated:

Who here uses fitocracy?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard