Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6055|...
If you start pumping creatine you'll have to keep pumping it else you're going to lose your (water)muscle.
inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4899|Amsterdam
You won't lose lean muscle mass if you quit creatine. Thats not how creatine works.
You will lose weight though (depending on how much you bloat from it)
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5235|Sydney
You're both correct.
Frank Reynolds
+65|4385
So I have been working in a few different things to my normal routine.  One thing I do once a month is a "hold" workout.  It is a full body workout and you basically do 4 sets of various exercises and hold the weight for 30 seconds at a time at the stress point.  I did not feel it at the time but the next morning I could barely move.  Another thing I do once a month is a "slowdown" workout.  For example I do my normal chest routine with super sets but slowly lower/raise the weight for a slow 10 count instead of a normal lift.  One more I toss in is a cardio mix.  One minute on cardio, set of something, one minute cardio, one set, etc.

I can say working these in have made a huge difference.  Just something to try.
What are you looking at dicknose
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6055|...

Kampframmer wrote:

You won't lose lean muscle mass if you quit creatine. Thats not how creatine works.
I didn't say you would lose lean muscle. Creatine increases your water retention which appears to give you more muscle mass.
inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney

Shocking wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

I didn't say you would lose lean muscle. Creatine increases your water retention which appears to give you more muscle mass.

Jaekus wrote:

You're both correct.
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney

Frank Reynolds wrote:

So I have been working in a few different things to my normal routine.  One thing I do once a month is a "hold" workout.  It is a full body workout and you basically do 4 sets of various exercises and hold the weight for 30 seconds at a time at the stress point.  I did not feel it at the time but the next morning I could barely move.  Another thing I do once a month is a "slowdown" workout.  For example I do my normal chest routine with super sets but slowly lower/raise the weight for a slow 10 count instead of a normal lift.  One more I toss in is a cardio mix.  One minute on cardio, set of something, one minute cardio, one set, etc.

I can say working these in have made a huge difference.  Just something to try.
My PT will always work me to positive failure, and every now and then to static failure. Once every few weeks we'll work on the negative failure too. This is all to really stress the muscle and stimulate growth. When doing this you only go to failure on one working set, no more. Positive failure you can do once on each of two exercises in my experience, with a couple assisted reps thrown in. For example, I will bench to failure and then complete 1-3 assisted reps. Then if I've still got some left in my chest I'll do some flyes at one set to assisted positive failure. Or you can start with dumbbell presses to just on positive failure and then quickly move over to the barbell for 3-4 negatives, which are of course assisted.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-06-21 00:23:14)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4899|Amsterdam
who's this?
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney
Managed to exercise normally again onsaturday. Hand is healing well and I haven't lost any strength
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6467|'Murka

I've adjusted my weight training to lower weight/higher reps. Don't need to increase size...just definition.

Pumped the cardio up quite a bit as well. Didn't really have a choice, as the weight room has been closed for paint/repairs for a week now.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney
Nice one. Good luck with it.

Just got back from the gym. Can do 10 straight reps of 90kg squats now with perfect form. My PT threw a few different things at me that hit me really hard: drop sets on cable pull downs, 60kg bench press followed by raised leg push ups, superset of lateral raises into upright rows. Felt pretty sore afterwards and really taxed my cardiovascular system, but I am getting stronger and fitter which is always encouraging.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6055|...
impressive strength/weight ratio:

Frank Reynolds wrote:

It is a full body workout and you basically do 4 sets of various exercises and hold the weight for 30 seconds at a time at the stress point. I did not feel it at the time but the next morning I could barely move.  Another thing I do once a month is a "slowdown" workout.  For example I do my normal chest routine with super sets but slowly lower/raise the weight for a slow 10 count instead of a normal lift.  One more I toss in is a cardio mix.  One minute on cardio, set of something, one minute cardio, one set, etc.
I'm not too sure on mixing up the cardio/strength training but the rest sounds great.
inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney
I tried Mentzer's HIT workout but it was too intense for me, lol. Similar idea, raise the weight for 4 seconds, hold for 2, lower for 4. Pre exhaust with a light warm up weight then about 80% of working weight. Working weight should be somewhere between 6-10 reps maximum and the idea is to hit total positive failure. On the last rep hold it at the static point for as long as possible then lower it as slow as possible. It's a psychological nightmare as whilst your strength is giving out your muscles are burning and hurting but you've got to ignore that part of it.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4899|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

impressive strength/weight ratio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDMYju_Pg5g

Frank Reynolds wrote:

It is a full body workout and you basically do 4 sets of various exercises and hold the weight for 30 seconds at a time at the stress point. I did not feel it at the time but the next morning I could barely move.  Another thing I do once a month is a "slowdown" workout.  For example I do my normal chest routine with super sets but slowly lower/raise the weight for a slow 10 count instead of a normal lift.  One more I toss in is a cardio mix.  One minute on cardio, set of something, one minute cardio, one set, etc.
I'm not too sure on mixing up the cardio/strength training but the rest sounds great.
It's crossfit, hence the cardio/strength. I hate to jump on the anti-crossfit bandwagon, they have actually produced some decent weightlifters, but man is it bad. The idea of pushing yourself to the max in a cardio-like manner, but using weights sounds great. A bit like those bootcamp things people do. It's all fun and games and it's not as efficient for muscle mass and strength gains as conventional lifting, but people enjoy doing it and that's what counts. But crossfit has just gotten too big and people begin seeing it a superior alternative to actual lifting even though the entire program is full of flaws, terrible trainers and even worse participants. If these 'fads'(not sure if crossfit is still a fad) stay in a small circle of people that know what theyre doing it fine but its gotten so big that theres just too many rotten apples (i would say about 90%). Same goes for conventional lifting and working out in general, but crossfit can be much more stressful for the body and when i see videos of people doing their crossfit lifts, exercises and even competitions it just looks painful.

I have absolutely no problem with what the guy does in the video. It's very impressive and I dont think i would ever be any better than him. All i'm saying is if you want to get serious about lifting and not just do some fun exercises once a week, dont do crossfit.
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney
Managed 7 then 6 reps at 55kg on the bench press yesterday. Monday I did 60kg for five reps, the final rep being barely assisted, the sixth one was a half rep and the seventh was a forced rep. Followed this with 12 raised leg push ups.

It's a long process but this is the most consistent I've been and I'm finally starting to notice some size increases.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-07-04 20:02:57)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6055|...

Kampframmer wrote:

It's crossfit, hence the cardio/strength. I hate to jump on the anti-crossfit bandwagon, they have actually produced some decent weightlifters, but man is it bad. The idea of pushing yourself to the max in a cardio-like manner, but using weights sounds great. A bit like those bootcamp things people do. It's all fun and games and it's not as efficient for muscle mass and strength gains as conventional lifting, but people enjoy doing it and that's what counts. But crossfit has just gotten too big and people begin seeing it a superior alternative to actual lifting even though the entire program is full of flaws, terrible trainers and even worse participants. If these 'fads'(not sure if crossfit is still a fad) stay in a small circle of people that know what theyre doing it fine but its gotten so big that theres just too many rotten apples (i would say about 90%). Same goes for conventional lifting and working out in general, but crossfit can be much more stressful for the body and when i see videos of people doing their crossfit lifts, exercises and even competitions it just looks painful.

I have absolutely no problem with what the guy does in the video. It's very impressive and I dont think i would ever be any better than him. All i'm saying is if you want to get serious about lifting and not just do some fun exercises once a week, dont do crossfit.
I don't do crossfit, I just happened to stumble upon the video.
inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney
90kg squats 12 reps. Not sure if I was slightly above parallel or not but I did it with good form.

Overall I walked out feeling sore but good. Motivation is better now
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4899|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

I don't do crossfit, I just happened to stumble upon the video.
i know. I was just explaining my take on why he would do the cardio/strength routine and once i mentioned crossfit i just had to rant for a little while
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney
One of the PTs at the gym I go to in the city was doing a crossfit (or what I thought it is) session the other day. My PT just rolls my eyes at him sometimes as he trains a guy at the same time on a Monday as my session and some of the things he gets him to do are just weird. Meanwhile, I'm doing a variation of free weights and machines...
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6055|...
Free weights all the way. The only machine that I use is a lat pulldown one and only for 1 handed & finger pulldowns.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-07-07 07:49:01)

inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney
They both have their place.

Like, I'll bench press and then to just hit my chest to finish off I'll do some cable flyes.

Or you can do squats followed by some machine exercises that isolate different muscles in the legs.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4899|Amsterdam
I don't mind cables, but the rest is just so much better when done with freeweights.
They only real excuse to use those machines would be if you need a spotter and there's no one around or when the freeweights are all occupied and you don't have the time to wait.
Jaekus
+957|5235|Sydney
I also like the rowing machine and lat pull down. I feel I can target my back a lot more. The rest are mostly free weights.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6055|...
back -> (pendlay) rows, military press, deadlifts, pullups (& lat pulldown depending on how/when you use it). Don't need more back work than that. After benching I usually do (weighted) dips and after my climbing sessions I do pushups. More than enough work for that muscle group.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-07-07 08:31:28)

inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4899|Amsterdam
Where do you climb?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard