Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam

Kmar wrote:

I might have to rethink the whole not targeting just my arms thing, as my girl just told me that one of her biggest turn on's is arms..lol
Saying that you lift for women makes you sound like a twat.
Saying that you don't makes you sound naive.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5243|Sydney

pirana6 wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I've seemingly lost all motivastion. Help!

Kmar wrote:

girl just told me that one of her biggest turn on's is arms
I've just had no energy for weeks, and been quite busy. Meh, I'll get back into it soon...
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6389|New Haven, CT
I wasted the the last two weeks doing nothing due to lack of energy and an avalanche of work, and it felt great when I finally resumed lifting this weekend. Just go to the gym when you feel decent and you'll remember how nice it is to know you are progressing.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6356|Washington St.

Jaekus wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I've seemingly lost all motivastion. Help!

Kmar wrote:

girl just told me that one of her biggest turn on's is arms
I've just had no energy for weeks, and been quite busy. Meh, I'll get back into it soon...
Yeah it happens. I took (much to my dismay) 4 and half months off (moving across the state, no money, no job, no time, etc). Got back into it a few weeks ago. Lost a bit of power and size but how could I not? Certainly not starting from square one so you just have to take each set-back (including lack of motivation) in stride.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6666|132 and Bush

Kampframmer wrote:

Kmar wrote:

I might have to rethink the whole not targeting just my arms thing, as my girl just told me that one of her biggest turn on's is arms..lol
Saying that you lift for women makes you sound like a twat.
Saying that you don't makes you sound naive.
tongue in cheek really.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6806|OctoLand
Running a 20k later today
I know fucking karate
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6356|Washington St.
http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-best- … -know.html

yeah yeah everything is fine and dandy until you get to #16:

Best Rest Period For Strength & Mass: 2-3 Minutes
Research confirms that resting three minutes between sets allows you to do significantly more reps than resting just 1-2 minutes, and performing more reps with a given weight equals more strength. But what about size? A 2009 study published in the Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research had male subjects follow a 10-week weight-training program with rest periods of either one or 2 1/2 minutes between sets.

Subjects’ arm sizes were measured before and after, and researchers found that the group resting just one minute between sets increased their arm size by 5% while the group resting 2 1/2 minutes increased theirs by 12%.
WAT.

I always heard lowest waits were best (60 seconds max). Now they want me waiting 2 and a half? It makes sense that you'd be able to life more but don't your arms start healing mere seconds after each set so you wanna keep the rest minimal?
I'll happily switch to 2-3 min instead of my current 1 but I just wanna make sure this isn't some scam.

edito: And number 2 on the 'worst'? lift BEFORE cardio? I'mma need someone to back this up for me? New studies coming out always contradict old crap. I get so lost.

Last edited by pirana6 (2011-11-09 21:49:56)

Jaekus
+957|5243|Sydney
Ummm, pretty sure it's almost universally agreed that lifting AFTER cardio is generally a no.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5549|Bolingbrook, Illinois
i wait 300 seconds between sets.  the more you wait the bigger strength gains you'll make because you'll give your ATP more time to replenish itself.  the thing is, you expose yourself to injury if you go for more than 5 minutes.

if you want strength, go 3-5 minutes.

if you want size, go 1-2 minutes.

if you want endurance, go 45-120 seconds.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6356|Washington St.

HaiBai wrote:

if you want size, go 1-2 minutes.

if you want endurance, go 45-120 seconds.

not helping.
HaiBai
they go hand in hand.  anyway:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-long … exercises/

Rest Time Between Sets: 20-60 seconds
Type Of Rest: Incomplete
Most Ideal For: Muscular endurance, metabolic training/circuit training, burning some additional calories.

Rest Time Between Sets: 1-2 minutes
Type Of Rest: Incomplete/Complete
Most Ideal For: Building muscle, getting "toned," looking good.

Rest Time Between Sets: 2-3 minutes
Type Of Rest: Complete/Incomplete
Most Ideal For: Building muscle, getting"toned," looking good, increasing strength.

Rest Time Between Sets: 3-5 minutes
Type Of Rest: Complete
Most Ideal For: Strength and muscular power.

Last edited by HaiBai (2011-11-10 21:03:59)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam
I dropped the weight on a few exercises as i don't wanyt to rush my recovery and end up doing something stupid.
I will also be going over a lot of exercises with this PT mate of mine (the one that's also an aspiring bodybuilder) so i will at least get the form 99% right.

I think i can get a bit more serious into lifting after the holidays and i already have a whole plan and routine set up up. Diet is mostly set (a lot of it might change depenidng on my hours att work at that time), routine is mostly set and I am more than motivated.
Will start on creatine and keep with the whey and i will clean up my diet again (i havent been on a diet since I've been out of the lifting game).

I hope this injury will be gone by then (or at least most of it), but there is always the chance taht it's one of those things that sticks.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6666|132 and Bush

recurring shoulder pain is recurring. fml. It's a joint thing, and it only hurts at one particular point (right shoulder). I use dumbells for my military press, and when I make the transition to over my shoulders (getting setup) there is a brief but very sharp pain. I guess I'll just have to lay off them for a bit to be safe.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam
I got this book (recommendation from someone) and it is just great.
Giving the title would be pointless, since it's a Dutch book, but i could share some of the info from it.
I just started to read it and boy am i drowning in a sea of knowledge. It contains detailed information on dozens of exercises for each major muscle section, anatomy and also a lot of basic fitness tips and tricks.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam
nevermind, the book isn't originally Dutch. My bad.
It's called Strengthtraining anatomy.

You need to get the 2nd edition (the one with the red cover) which contains injury prevention and other useful information about joints and their involvement with lifts.
1st edition is also great if you just want to get simple and solid advice on exercises, but it's only like 5 bucks cheaper so i recommend getting the 2nd edition.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6602|Long Island, New York
So I was doing pretty good yesterday... upped all of my weight limits on every machine I do, and I've been doing 50 pushups and 50 sit ups a day at home in addition to the 2.5 miles I run. I was focusing on upper body all day. But as I finished up and did my last machine, I was doing an ab machine, sort of like a vertical pulldown? It's hard to explain, but I was in the midst of my 2nd set when I got extremely nauseous and had to stop. My head started spinning and I decided to just call it a day.

Is that normal? Never happened to me before.
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|4619|Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Jaekus wrote:

Ummm, pretty sure it's almost universally agreed that lifting AFTER cardio is generally a no.
Why is that?  I have always had better lifts after cardio.
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam

Poseidon wrote:

So I was doing pretty good yesterday... upped all of my weight limits on every machine I do, and I've been doing 50 pushups and 50 sit ups a day at home in addition to the 2.5 miles I run. I was focusing on upper body all day. But as I finished up and did my last machine, I was doing an ab machine, sort of like a vertical pulldown? It's hard to explain, but I was in the midst of my 2nd set when I got extremely nauseous and had to stop. My head started spinning and I decided to just call it a day.

Is that normal? Never happened to me before.
e: sorry, what i typed made very little sense, was a bit distracted.

It happens to a lot of people after a hard day of exercising. It shouldn't happen very often though.

Last edited by Kampframmer (2011-11-19 09:21:52)

HaiBai

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

why would you tire yourself out before you lift?

it all depends on what you're objective is.  if you're a sprinter in track, you run before you lift.  if you're just a powerlifter who wants to burn a few extra calories, you lift before you run.  just do whatever is most important first
Jaekus
+957|5243|Sydney

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

You don't really want to be squatting heavy when you're tired from running for 30-45 minutes.
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man

Jaekus wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

You don't really want to be squatting heavy when you're tired from running for 30-45 minutes.
Well I do not do squats or power lift.  Just some basic chest, arm, shoulder, and back stuff.

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Well I do not do squats or power lift.  Just some basic chest, arm, shoulder, and back stuff.
So basically you completelly neglect your legs?

And no, cardio does not count as training you legs in the same way that a bench press trains your chest
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

So basically you completelly neglect your legs?

And no, cardio does not count as training you legs in the same way that a bench press trains your chest
No I do the basic leg machines.

Sturgeon
+488|5006|Flintshire

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I thought it was due to glycogen stores.

If you do cardio before lifting, then your glycogen stores will be depleted and your body will break down muscles for energy to do the exercies. Whereas if you do lifting first when you do cardio your body will break down fatty tissue to get energy.

So you lose fat and build your muscles better if you do cardio last, whereas if you do cardio first your lifting workout will be ineffective.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6256|Roma

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Wrist curls with barbells are uncomfortable for me as my wrists twist inwards when I bend them towards me. I'm guessing using dumb-bells makes no difference?
Worked it out the other week. Thumbs need to be the same side as fingers, stops your wrists twisting.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard