Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6604|Long Island, New York

Kmar wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I know some have railed against cable weights here... considering I'm just beginning, is it terrible that I'm sticking to them for now?
Of course they are fine, especially for a beginner. In fact they can help you develop your form, which is important for preventing injury.
Okay good.

It's all just very intimidating right now I guess... not necessarily the weight itself lol, just the whole routine and getting it down/progressing/targeting specific areas. I suppose I'll get the hang of it soon enough, plus my brother's been lifting for like 6 years now.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6668|132 and Bush

Poseidon wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I know some have railed against cable weights here... considering I'm just beginning, is it terrible that I'm sticking to them for now?
Of course they are fine, especially for a beginner. In fact they can help you develop your form, which is important for preventing injury.
Okay good.

It's all just very intimidating right now I guess... not necessarily the weight itself lol, just the whole routine and getting it down/progressing/targeting specific areas. I suppose I'll get the hang of it soon enough, plus my brother's been lifting for like 6 years now.
Just stay slow and controlled. Weight lifting is one of those things where technique matters immensely. Learn proper breathing, and document your gains (physically document them that is). It will help motivate and keep you on routine.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5551|Bolingbrook, Illinois
honestly though, i would reccomend ditching machines and doing free weight compound exercises

specifically squat, bench press, bent over row, overhead press, and deadlift
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5245|Sydney
It's a personal choice, but free weights are considered superior over machines.

Anyways, I'm not going to sway your decision or choices, that's up to you. But if you do decide to go with free weights, get a barbell or use one at the gym, and get the book called Starting Strength. It will give you invaluable information on how to complete the main barbell exercises correctly.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6527|UK
Cables are ok for starting off you should look to moving to free weights when your comfortable though.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6604|Long Island, New York
All good advice. Thanks guys. I just got back and realized... 98% of my muscles are from my stomach down

I was doing 110 on the vertical chest press, 90 on the lat pull and 120 on the rowing machine. Bad... but again, I'm just starting.

Was doing much better on my run too. I think I prefer treadmill running to trail running at this point.

wah1188 wrote:

Cables are ok for starting off you should look to moving to free weights when your comfortable though.
Absolutely. Like I said, I'm a true beginner in terms of upper body strength, so I'm just using them as guidance.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6668|132 and Bush

You don't have to leave cables, just included them. Variety, the spice of life.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6358|Washington St.
cables make up a good chunk of my routine. free weights mostly but cables are def there.

personally (i don't know anything about anything so take my advice with a grain of salt) i think cable's are only a step below full-free weights. sticking clear of single-direction machines (don't know what they're called... plate-loading machines?) and smith machines (though smith's aren't bad for beginners because it's daunting bench pressing in a gym the first few times) is your best bet.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4909|Amsterdam
I would love to see some recipes get posted on here.
I already posted one (the protein bar one's), but let's see if we can exchange some recipes for an actual meal.

I could really use some to spice of my lunch.
I might post some more myself if I'm feeling up to it.

Last edited by Kampframmer (2011-11-02 10:20:48)

SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6726|The darkside of Denver
1 can tuna fish 1 tsp mustard. 

spicy enough?
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6527|UK
Sounds like a plan.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4909|Amsterdam

SonderKommando wrote:

1 can tuna fish 1 tsp mustard. 

spicy enough?
To be fair, that sounds like a snack not an actual meal.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6258|Roma
Chilli con Carne? Big Recipe that would last for 2-3 meals or 4 snacks. Fucking delicious too.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6358|Washington St.
anybody have experience with tofu as a form of intake of protein?

seems cheap and might not be as good as chicken or tuna but still good. right?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4909|Amsterdam
If its a meat replacement specially made for people that won't eat meat i don't see how it could be any better than the real deal.
As long as your not a vegeterian, just eat meat unless it really is 50% cheaper.

Last edited by Kampframmer (2011-11-04 01:27:24)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6358|Washington St.

Kampframmer wrote:

50% cheaper
is it? by a lot?

and it can't be that bad a source of protein right? even just once and a while as a change of pace from chicken?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4909|Amsterdam

pirana6 wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

50% cheaper
is it? by a lot?

and it can't be that bad a source of protein right? even just once and a while as a change of pace from chicken?
I don't think its that much cheaper than chicken, not here at least.
I guess it couldn't hurt to have it every once in a while. Everything in moderation right?
But i don't think it's as good, i think you're better off eating some other lean meat if you wnat something other than chicken like steak or lean beef.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6783

pirana6 wrote:

anybody have experience with tofu as a form of intake of protein?

seems cheap and might not be as good as chicken or tuna but still good. right?
soy protein isn't as good because it lowers your testosterone or some shit like that.

Soy is healthy and shit but I wouldn't use it to replace meat coz meats got other important vitamins and shit yo
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5551|Bolingbrook, Illinois
it doesn't lower testosterone, it raises estrogen.  and it's not enough to make any type of difference so don't worry about that
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6527|UK
Soya also increases brain ageing watch out for that stuff.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4909|Amsterdam
Just stick to actual meat and don't touch that shit made for vegetarian's.
They are dumb, naive and unhealthy people that should be processed into steaks for the rest of the world.

It's that simple.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6668|132 and Bush

I might have to rethink the whole not targeting just my arms thing, as my girl just told me that one of her biggest turn on's is arms..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6358|Washington St.
i got told that by the past two girls... shit gets into your head. hard.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5245|Sydney
I've seemingly lost all motivastion. Help!
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6358|Washington St.

Jaekus wrote:

I've seemingly lost all motivastion. Help!

Kmar wrote:

girl just told me that one of her biggest turn on's is arms

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard