Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

Jaekus wrote:

Kmar wrote:

btw, I did my bi's the other night. I generally don't focus just on my arms. They are hit with most push/pull exercises. But I tried something new. I did hammer curls, regular curls.. and then this thing where you kind of hold your arms out to your sides slightly and curl.. real slow and controlled. You're getting just a little bit of a shoulder w/o, but the point is really to hit them at a different angle. I was fine the day after, today I felt like I had needles in my bi's.
Must've hit areas of your bi's that aren't used to being worked I'd guess?
Yea, it felt a little awkward. My wrist were turned out and up. Pretty much the opposite of a hammer curl.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5220|Sydney
Interesting... I've never heard of that way of doing it, but then there are far more exercises out there I am unaware of than aware.

Kmar wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Kmar wrote:

ion exchanged whey, right in the magic bullet..lol
I used to have a container that mixed it well just by shaking it. If you want to make something delicious, perhaps with some fruit, the bullet is nice though. Because it's small it's perfect for a single serving.
Oooh, that's a good idea.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6366|New Haven, CT

Kmar wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

I don't think anyone is going to argue against getting some potassium in before you workout. I realize energy is needed to maintain intensity, that's why I said if you can. But some people are capable of bringing it on a relatively small amount of calories in their system. As said earlier in this thread, certain elements of any workout/diet need to be adjusted to accommodate different energy levels, biochemistry, and lifestyle habits.

Like I said this is what has worked for me, over two decades of working out.
I was simply adding to what you said, not contradicting it.

In my case, I perform much better when I have so energy before the exertion. When I ran track, I'd be incapacitated with nausea for ten minutes after a 200m if I forgot to eat a couple apple slices 20 or 30 minutes before the race, but would be perfectly fine if I did. I like to apply the same principle to my lifting since the nature of the work is similar.
Don't get me wrong. If I'm on a heavy day I will make sure I have something powering my routine. But if I'm stripping I won't eat much before I get started.
Oh, okay. I don't think the preworkout nutrition was as important as the order of weights before cardio.

Jaekus wrote:

Pre workout nutrition is almost as important as post, along with fluid intake. I find if I workout and haven't eaten enough carbs + protein an hour or so beforehand I lack energy and focus, and if I haven't drank enough water in the hour or so beforehand I start feeling light headed and again, lose focus. My lifts suffer as a result, understandably.
I usually do it to avoid tailing off by the end of rows (typical order being squat -> bench -> row), and again to avoid exercise-induced nausea, which never hits as bad with weights as it did with track but is nonetheless something to be neutralized.
Jaekus
+957|5220|Sydney
Hey, I actually do the same workout. In fact I did mine not even an hour ago, in that order
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

nukchebi0 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

I was simply adding to what you said, not contradicting it.

In my case, I perform much better when I have so energy before the exertion. When I ran track, I'd be incapacitated with nausea for ten minutes after a 200m if I forgot to eat a couple apple slices 20 or 30 minutes before the race, but would be perfectly fine if I did. I like to apply the same principle to my lifting since the nature of the work is similar.
Don't get me wrong. If I'm on a heavy day I will make sure I have something powering my routine. But if I'm stripping I won't eat much before I get started.
Oh, okay. I don't think the preworkout nutrition was as important as the order of weights before cardio.

Jaekus wrote:

Pre workout nutrition is almost as important as post, along with fluid intake. I find if I workout and haven't eaten enough carbs + protein an hour or so beforehand I lack energy and focus, and if I haven't drank enough water in the hour or so beforehand I start feeling light headed and again, lose focus. My lifts suffer as a result, understandably.
I usually do it to avoid tailing off by the end of rows (typical order being squat -> bench -> row), and again to avoid exercise-induced nausea, which never hits as bad with weights as it did with track but is nonetheless something to be neutralized.
Your body generally starts allocating calories within 45 minutes of consumption. .. ie metabolize or store.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6366|New Haven, CT

Jaekus wrote:

Hey, I actually do the same workout. In fact I did mine not even an hour ago, in that order

Makes sense, since we've both read the same literature saying that full body workouts with the major barbell lifts are the best way to go for relative beginners.

Kmar wrote:

Your body generally starts allocating calories within 45 minutes of consumption. .. ie metabolize or store.
Hmm, I think the basic premise was that weightlifting can use free carbs but not fat, while cardio uses both but burns in the order of free carbs and then fat, so by lifting first you use up the easy available energy and force your body to use fat.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

nukchebi0 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Hmm, I think the basic premise was that weightlifting can use free carbs but not fat, while cardio uses both but burns in the order of free carbs and then fat, so by lifting first you use up the easy available energy and force your body to use fat.
For the most part yes. Those statements were aimed at weight loss, and the workouts were meant to be aerobic. I think there has been some debate with carb loading before workouts designed for mass. I know some claim that consuming carbs post workout with your supplements is a good idea. High glycemic carbs in particular help the release of insulin. For example high GI carbs have been said to help shuttle creatine in to muscle.

Personally I can't speak on this. I stopped taking creatine years ago because I felt the results were temporary.. and it was linked to a kidney stone I had.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
+957|5220|Sydney
Zimmer told me about consuming dextrose in your post workout shake. I've done some reading on it and the studies seem to suggest this is certainly a good idea. I can't remember it now though, and don't really have time to look it up again at the moment.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

Jaekus wrote:

Zimmer told me about consuming dextrose in your post workout shake. I've done some reading on it and the studies seem to suggest this is certainly a good idea. I can't remember it now though, and don't really have time to look it up again at the moment.
Yea I've heard both sides of that too. I havent played with that neither.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6366|New Haven, CT

Kmar wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

For the most part yes. Those statements were aimed at weight loss, and the workouts were meant to be aerobic. I think there has been some debate with carb loading before workouts designed for mass. I know some claim that consuming carbs post workout with your supplements is a good idea. High glycemic carbs in particular help the release of insulin. For example high GI carbs have been said to help shuttle creatine in to muscle.

Personally I can't speak on this. I stopped taking creatine years ago because I felt the results were temporary.. and it was linked to a kidney stone I had.
Hmm, I'll keep that in mind. I accumulated a little bit of extra fat from the unhealthiness of Russian food, so after I get my strength back to an acceptable level (155 bench, 295-325 squat for 4x6), I'm looking to focus on weight loss to get my body fat down under 1o or 12 percent. I have not measured precisely, but I'm assuming it's hovering in the high teens or on the wrong side of 20.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

nukchebi0 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind. I accumulated a little bit of extra fat from the unhealthiness of Russian food, so after I get my strength back to an acceptable level (155 bench, 295-325 squat for 4x6), I'm looking to focus on weight loss to get my body fat down under 1o or 12 percent. I have not measured precisely, but I'm assuming it's hovering in the high teens or on the wrong side of 20.
You'll be alright. You're a runner . Good luck with the groin. That's one of those injuries that are really frustrating, as it can usually be felt with all things lower body.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6366|New Haven, CT

Kmar wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

You'll be alright. You're a runner . Good luck with the groin. That's one of those injuries that are really frustrating, as it can usually be felt with all things lower body.
You do mean "runner", haha. Yeah, it's extremely frustrating. It never made sense to me how athletes were held out multiple games for groin injuries -  now I understand perfectly.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6233|Roma
Pretty sure the eating thing is why I feel so shit when doing workouts in the morning.
I tend to wake up late as I work in the evening, then don't eat a very big breakfast else I won't be hungry for lunch.
Much prefer working out late afternoon when I've woken up more.

Also, thinking of buying some wraps for my deadlifts. Getting to a point where if I beast through my working weight, my grip is shot for a lot of other exercises.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4884|Amsterdam
I no longer do my 6km run.
Instead i do HIIT twice a week now.
Jaekus
+957|5220|Sydney
Getting back to where I was quicker than I expected, but not quick enough

Eating a lot more and noticing a bit of weight gain. Even though my strength is still not quite where it was I somehow feel like I'm stronger for some reason. Maybe it's a perception thing because in two weeks I've almost got to back to where I was, where I had kinda plateaued before.

Dunno. Feels good though
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6366|New Haven, CT

Jaekus wrote:

Getting back to where I was quicker than I expected, but not quick enough

Eating a lot more and noticing a bit of weight gain. Even though my strength is still not quite where it was I somehow feel like I'm stronger for some reason. Maybe it's a perception thing because in two weeks I've almost got to back to where I was, where I had kinda plateaued before.

Dunno. Feels good though
Yep, you definitely regain strength quickly. I'm advancing 5 pounds in bench each lift, whereas as it took me three or four workouts to progress when establishing the initial high level of strength.
Jaekus
+957|5220|Sydney
I also realised after about two months of hypertrophy that I still wasn't eating enough, and that was right before I took 5 weeks off when I went to the US. In the three weeks leading up I decided to lose some fat and ate less than maintenance. Lost 3kg in three weeks, but my lifts suffered a little as a result. Now I figure I may as well just eat a lot and lift with the best form possible, and let my body do the rest. I figure once I've put on a few kg of muscle it'll be easier to cut and maintain as I'll be burning more cals just by the muscle I have alone. That's the idea anyway. Think I'll give it a good couple months and assess where I am at from there.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6366|New Haven, CT
And in the US you definitely consumed far above maintenance calories from alcohol alone...
Jaekus
+957|5220|Sydney
But they were "empty" calories
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6366|New Haven, CT

Jaekus wrote:

But they were "empty" calories
"Empty" seems a little unfair. Perhaps "unproductive towards the end of gaining muscle and retaining a healthy physique"?

Haha, I also assume your solid diet went off the rails while here in America?
Jaekus
+957|5220|Sydney
It was really hard to get anything that wasn't loaded with fat and carbs
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6366|New Haven, CT
Same thing in Russia. I'm pretty sure they consider butter a major food group.
Jaekus
+957|5220|Sydney
The meals are also massive in the US. I didn't realise when I got back that a lot of places expect you to ask to take some home. Here in Aus you're expected to eat everything on the plate, so sometimes I'd try, even though it could've fed two people
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4884|Amsterdam
America is just insane.
After going there i had a lot more respect for people that live there and manage to maintain a healthy diet.
It did explain all the fat people though (I did see quite a bit more, and quite a bit fatter than in other countries)
Jaekus
+957|5220|Sydney
If only I knew about the taking home food thing. Would've maintained, rather than gaining three kilos

And yeah, I did see a few more fatter people than I would in Aus, and when I mean fat I mean FAT.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard