baggs
+732|6195
I would like some help and some input on our new website, i want to know what you guys think of;

General appearance

Navigation around the site

Product category structure

and anything else you care to comment on. This site is not yet live (per se), so none of the products listed on the site are not for sale so i'm not trying to bump some cheeky sales! I just want some honest input as to how i've laid things out, i've never done anything like this before!

Any input is greatly appreciated.

http://www.caraudioshop2u.com/
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6487

so far, so good - it's looks more polished than a beta, you've been working on it . . .
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6587|Seattle

Looks good, but all the prices are in £'s which is a bit confusing.

lol, j/k!

Nice job man.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6181|Roma
First look, I like the design and layout except for the way the products are listed, there is too much space between them, and the pictures are too large IMO. Maybe shrink them a little, and put two on each row?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6746|Scotland

Clean, clear and easy to navigate. One of the better "amateur" (not because the job is amateur, but because it's not a "pro" job - As in, you're using a normal template with some colour changes and it's being operated by TigerCommerce) sites I've seen.

Can't really say much about it because it's neither truly stunning or an utter failure. It does its job as an eCommerce site pretty damn well.

I would change some of the layout settings, but just a few personal thoughts on that. Don't need to go into detail if you're happy with what you've got.

Also, get an SSL certificate. I don't want to be checking out without HTTPS on my browser window. It really is a MUST for new eCommerce sites.
baggs
+732|6195
Yeah sorry, all the dots for the i's and crosses for the t's are still to come, as with the transactional parts. I do need to go thru and re-size all the pictures, i was told the package already did this but in typical fashion, i still have some hard work to do.

I'm sure i've seen a programme for re-sizing batches of pictures?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6746|Scotland

Oh, yeah. One thing that's a bit of a pain -

All your products are called by their model names - Most customers wont give a shit what the model name is, but more what it is and what it does. Either have a tiny brief of what kind of thing it is on the product browsing display or change the product name to something more customer friendly. Letters and numbers ain't going to help anyone.

I realise there is both a LIST and BOX view, and that the BOX view contains a brief of what each product does, but the IMAGES and LIST view don't. And by default, I get hit with the IMAGES view.

I'd rather use the BOX view by default. I don't know if TigerCommerce allows that default value to be changed, it should though, for the prices you're paying.
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6669|Broadlands, VA
I found only one thing:  Under the pictures you list a part number & a price which is fine for audiophiles.  However, for mortals like my self at least a name brand would be nice.  A very brief feature set would be cool too.  It could be as simple as; "iPod/CD/DVD/BT/Radio".

Other than that - good on ya!
baggs
+732|6195

Zimmer wrote:

Oh, yeah. One thing that's a bit of a pain -

All your products are called by their model names - Most customers wont give a shit what the model name is, but more what it is and what it does. Either have a tiny brief of what kind of thing it is on the product browsing display or change the product name to something more customer friendly. Letters and numbers ain't going to help anyone.

I realise there is both a LIST and BOX view, and that the BOX view contains a brief of what each product does, but the IMAGES and LIST view don't. And by default, I get hit with the IMAGES view.

I'd rather use the BOX view by default. I don't know if TigerCommerce allows that default value to be changed, it should though, for the prices you're paying.
Oh yeah we can change pretty much anything, it's an amazing package. The site is probably 2/3 weeks away from being fully functional, so i'm adding some more product and fine tuning things.

I've been doing a fair bit of management via CSV too, but my tenedency to fuck that up is high.
baggs
+732|6195
Try the site now, i just change the default layout for products, which includes a product brief with manufacturer name.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6181|Roma
Much better IMO.
Maybe have the brand name bigger than the model? I wouldn't know the difference between two models, but if i had been recommended a specific brand..
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6746|Scotland

Yeah, I just will never work with packages like that because I always want to see the backend. Well, I guess that makes sense as I am a developer

But yeah, it looks good enough to do most of your bidding. As long as it works....
baggs
+732|6195

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Much better IMO.
Maybe have the brand name bigger than the model? I wouldn't know the difference between two models, but if i had been recommended a specific brand..
You can navigate directly to the brand using the left hand pane, tho i've been giving consideration to the category structure also, to make finding a particular product of interest.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6746|Scotland

I'd personally put the main product navigation as dropdown menus on the top orange bar, instead of the 4 links. Because those 4 links aren't the first thing the customer wants to see, and browsing is a lot easier the closer the navigation is to the top. Your templating system should allow that. It would look a lot nicer. You can have the extra links down the LHS, but the main navigation should also be on the orange bar.
baggs
+732|6195

Zimmer wrote:

I'd personally put the main product navigation as dropdown menus on the top orange bar, instead of the 4 links. Because those 4 links aren't the first thing the customer wants to see, and browsing is a lot easier the closer the navigation is to the top. Your templating system should allow that. It would look a lot nicer. You can have the extra links down the LHS, but the main navigation should also be on the orange bar.
I'll have a look into that, it might be a question for our host. I know what you mean tho, i need to add more categorys and i wonder if i would run out of space along the top for all my categorys?

Last edited by baggs (2009-11-05 08:25:50)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6746|Scotland

Can you not edit the template directly? Are there no ways of simply calling the navigation in a template file and coding around that to create the dropdowns (sorry, I dumbed what I am trying to say down because it would be pointless going into the intricate details not knowing exactly how TigerCommerce works). I highly doubt they will help you out without a lovely fee, though.

You wouldn't run out of space because you would only have the MAIN MAIN categories shown on the orange bar, and then when hovered over, you would get the subcategories, and the sub sub if you so wish. Look at play.com, they managed it perfectly and have a hell of a lot more products than you will ever have.
baggs
+732|6195
Thanks for all the input, i think i managed to karma everyone. This is very important to me, thanks again!
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6181|Roma
Np, took all of 5mins
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6498
Looks great for what you want, only thing i dislike is the title (font doesn't look great, not sure if I love the tilt).  Good job though!
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6444|The Twilight Zone
its quite nice
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
JahManRed
wank
+646|6618|IRELAND

Make the pictures of the stuff your selling smaller on the front page. Casual shopping/surfers don't scroll down allot of the time. You want to get as much info across in as small a place without making it confusing. A fine balance.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard