baggs
+732|6204
...to someone you didn't know?

A person owes me £20 for something his mate picked up from me (optical cables if you must be so nosey). And his mate, who lives near me was supposed to drop the cash back to me.

Alas, this has yet to happen. I've since spoken to the guy and he says he will do me a bank transfer due to him not liking PayPal (which i would much rather use due to security and ease). I'm sceptical of supplying him with both my sort code and bank account number.

Yes, it's only £20 but it's the principle and he really should pay. Is there any possible way he can defraud me with just my bank account details? Bearing in mind, his friend knows my address.

Paranoid, i know.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6556|Kent, UK
Not really possible to defraud you with just your sort and account no. Any idiot can get hold of that info - from your card, your cheque book etc. It's perfectly safe tbh.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Don't think so. With someones bank account number and sort code you can't take any money out of someones account.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6843|Reykjavík, Iceland.
The info needed to transfer money to an account isn't enough to take money from it. At least here you need to have your bank password, your identity key (a physical random number generator that you get from the bank) and your transfer security code.
baggs
+732|6204
Thanks chaps, i didn't think so but wasn't sure about a couple of things. Should have phoned my bank really but Bf2s has proven to be quicker!

Oh yeh Zimmer, did you find who's been stealing from you?
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

£20. Nah, even if there is no malice now, you are giving someone information that could be used in composite later (its £20 ffs).
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6556|Kent, UK

jsnipy wrote:

£20. Nah, even if there is no malice now, you are giving someone information that could be used in composite later (its £20 ffs).
lolwut. You can;t do naff all with just a sort code and account number except pay money into the account.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Pretty hard to defraud you with just that information.
But those things would be the starting point for a fraudster.

He already has your name and address - sort code, acct number, dodgy ID, bogus utility bill and he's away.

Tell the mate to get you the twenty quid, if he won't use paypal there's something funny.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Dilbert_X wrote:

He already has your name and address - sort code, acct number, dodgy ID, bogus utility bill and he's away.

Tell the mate to get you the twenty quid, if he won't use paypal there's something funny.
There are lots of people who wont use Paypal.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6556|Kent, UK

Dilbert_X wrote:

If someone's gone to the length of getting a dodgy ID, then it doesn't matter if they have your sort and account. They could walk into the bank and ask for it, hand over ID and then get kicked the fuck out for having a dodgy id.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If they don't know the sort code they won't know which chain or branch to walk into for a start.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6598|Cheshire. UK
Get him to send you postal orders?
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

Buckles wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

lolwut. You can;t do naff all with just a sort code and account number except pay money into the account.
this is what i was trying to say

Dilbert_X wrote:

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-11-05 04:10:49)

baggs
+732|6204
eeeyeh fuck it I sent it to him, you could defraud anyone if you tried hard enough. I should just stop being so paranoid
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6494|Sydney, Australia
The only thing he can do is put money into your account, unless you call that fraud...
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
I think Jeremy Clarkson asked the same question.

And to emphasise the point his money was still safe and the spectre of identity theft a sham, Jeremy Clarkson printed his own bank account number and sort code in a newspaper.

He also gave instructions on how to find his address on the electoral roll and details about the car he drives.

However, he has now lost at least £500 - after an unidentified reader copied his details to set up a £500 direct debit payable from his account to the British Diabetic Association.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/c … 38931.html
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6556|Kent, UK

Dilbert_X wrote:

If they don't know the sort code they won't know which chain or branch to walk into for a start.
Again, if someone was going to go through all that effort to defraud you, because believe me; it's not easy, they would get that info anyway. If someone had your sort & a/c# and decided to try to defraud you, that's a fuckload of work they gotta do to get forged docs and id etc. So if someone was going to do it, they would, it's hardly an opportunity crime.

And yes, I work in a major high street bank.
baggs
+732|6204

jord wrote:

And to emphasise the point his money was still safe and the spectre of identity theft a sham, Jeremy Clarkson printed his own bank account number and sort code in a newspaper.

He also gave instructions on how to find his address on the electoral roll and details about the car he drives.

However, he has now lost at least £500 - after an unidentified reader copied his details to set up a £500 direct debit payable from his account to the British Diabetic Association.
I had thought about someone setting up a DD with my details, because as most of you probably know, it takes such little information to set up a DD. But i online bank so in theory i should see the DD and be able to delete it.

This guy i sent the details to, wants to know what bank it is, why do i feel like he has asked an unnecessary question?
jord

baggs wrote:

jord wrote:

I had thought about someone setting up a DD with my details, because as most of you probably know, it takes such little information to set up a DD. But i online bank so in theory i should see the DD and be able to delete it.

This guy i sent the details to, wants to know what bank it is, why do i feel like he has asked an unnecessary question?
He's probably just a bit of a mong and thinks he needs to know the info to send you it. If you know him irl or your friend does he's probably not going to try and scam you. 1 because he sounds like a bit of a window licker and 2 because you and your mate could just go over and give his sister a good shoeing.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

It was some subscription service, I believe, that was stealing my moneys.

They just took out £50 last night. The subscription service cost £23, but for some reason they're taking out more. Also, their "contact number" doesn't exist. Lulz.

lol @ Jeremy Clarksons story. What an idiot.
baggs
+732|6204

Zimmer wrote:

It was some subscription service, I believe, that was stealing my moneys.

They just took out £50 last night. The subscription service cost £23, but for some reason they're taking out more. Also, their "contact number" doesn't exist. Lulz.

lol @ Jeremy Clarksons story. What an idiot.
Whats the solution then? Seems absurd to me. Still any idea how they've managed to do it?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Again, if someone was going to go through all that effort to defraud you, because believe me; it's not easy, they would get that info anyway.
Which is like saying if someone really wants to steal my car they will, so I might as well leave it unlocked with the key in the ignition in the Irish part of town.

sux2bjeremyclarkson
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6556|Kent, UK
There are 2 ways to set up a direct debit, filling out and signing a form, and AUDDIS (AUtomated Direct Debit Instruction Service). If you fill out the form, the bank check the signature and then if it's crap won't action the DD. If it's done through AUDDIS (i.e. set up online etc) and it's fraudulent, the bank have to refund it immediately and then whomever has taken the money - in Clarkson's case the BDA - has to pay the money back to the bank.

See the Wiki entry for Direct Debits

EDIT:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Again, if someone was going to go through all that effort to defraud you, because believe me; it's not easy, they would get that info anyway.
Which is like saying if someone really wants to steal my car they will, so I might as well leave it unlocked with the key in the ignition in the Irish part of town.

sux2bjeremyclarkson
No, not really because doing that would open you up to a crime of opportunity - i.e. someone could see you've left your car unlocked and the key in the ignition and think "hey fuck it, I could get away with this."
This is not the case with bank fraud. Whether a fraudster has your sort and a/c is almost entirely irrelevant to them committing account takeover fraud. To put it in perspective, it's safer to give someone your sort and a/c # for them to pay into your account than it is to write them a cheque.

Last edited by Buckles (2009-11-05 05:00:57)

jord

Dilbert_X wrote:

sux2bjeremyclarkson
It's better compared to putting a drawing pin on the car seat incase anyone tries to drive off in it. If someone who already knows you wants to find your address they have but to spend 5 mins checking the internet.

Last edited by jord (2009-11-05 04:59:38)

TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5981|Toronto

baggs wrote:

...to someone you didn't know?

A person owes me £20 for something his mate picked up from me (optical cables if you must be so nosey). And his mate, who lives near me was supposed to drop the cash back to me.

Alas, this has yet to happen. I've since spoken to the guy and he says he will do me a bank transfer due to him not liking PayPal (which i would much rather use due to security and ease). I'm sceptical of supplying him with both my sort code and bank account number.

Yes, it's only £20 but it's the principle and he really should pay. Is there any possible way he can defraud me with just my bank account details? Bearing in mind, his friend knows my address.

Paranoid, i know.
Walk to guy's house.
Ask him to give you 20 quid cash.
Beat the shit out of him if he doesn't.
Done.
I like pie.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard