trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6260|B.C. Canada
I am looking for some feedback and suggestions please. This well be the first vehicle I buy from a dealership.

So I have decided with much debate to buy a brand new vehicle. To some, especially my dad, think this is a dumb idea but I don't care. I have 2 vehicles which are old and used and just shit. Plus I deserve a christmas present to myself/girlfriend (soon to be fiance. When I ask her. She keeps asking me when we are getting married and I love her to death).
We are looking at SUV. Nothing big and expensive or to fancy. Our budget is around $25,000.

We have picked 3 that we feel will last us quite some time, that seem safe, good for if we have a kid, good on the highway (we travel lots), and that overall look appealing to us. We choose an SUV over a pickup and car for the fact that we do go off road a lot to ski hills, hiking trails, etc and the roads around us are shit. Plus we travel a lots to big city's so we need something good for highway/city driving. 

So onto the 3 choices we have

1: Jeep Compass

2.4L 4 cylinder 4x4
Auto Transmission
Very basic.
I want heated leather seats and the security package so I am going to see about adding these features for an extra $3,00 maybe?
The pics are off by a year or so but it looks basically the same as the 09
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/28001/06JeepCompass.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/28001/2007%20Jeep%20Compass%20interior.jpg

2: Subaru Forester

http://www.subaru.ca/SubaruData.aspx?We … ecCategory
all specs in link if anyone cares
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/28001/subaru-forester-2008-02.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/28001/2009-subaru-forester-interior.jpg

3: Nissan Rogue

http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/common/sp … /rogue/en/
specs
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/28001/nissan_rogue_15.JPG
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/28001/2008-Nissan-Rogue-Crossover-SUV_3.jpg

Again, all I am looking for is feedback on my 3 choices or if you have anything that might be better let me know. All my friends are into getting pickup trucks and lifting then going out mudding and shit. But I need to think about a future and I want a good multipurpose vehicle that well last awhile.
What can I expect from sales men/women? Any tips on buying a car?

Nobody really knows me on here and I have posted some stupid shit but this is serious so I am looking for serious responses please.
I come on here for help because my family/friends think we are stupid for buying a new vehicle, when maybe we are but we wont know until we do.
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
I'd agree with your dad that it probably isn't the best time to buy new, but if you have the cash then I guess out of those the Subaru. As a 4th option have you considered a Land rover?
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6260|B.C. Canada

jord wrote:

I'd agree with your dad that it probably isn't the best time to buy new, but if you have the cash then I guess out of those the Subaru. As a 4th option have you considered a Land rover?
Land Rover totally skipped my mind. I well have to look into it.
Also I don't plan on buying a vehicle for 4-5 months. I just want to start looking for exactly what we want. Plus it gives us time to put away more cash for a big down payment. I want to be able to put about $7,000-$9,000 down.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Are you kidding me? A land rover over a Nissan or Subaru?

Land Rovers are ugly pieces of shit that guzzle and aren't very reliable. They never have been.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Forester. That said, if you want new, buy a 2009 model second hand. It'll have few miles on it, and be basically brand new, except it won't depreciate as badly, and you save yourself a few grand on the list price.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6391

If it's safety you're after, a 4 wheel drive is your best bet, with 5-star rating or whatever you have.  SUVs aren't all that safe though, given their mass (increased stopping distance should be a consideration).  Also not very fuel efficient.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2009-11-04 03:35:44)

trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6260|B.C. Canada

Zimmer wrote:

Land Rovers are ugly pieces of shit that guzzle and aren't very reliable. They never have been.
Ya, just looked at there site and the vehicles are fucking expensive.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia

Zimmer wrote:

Lol, yeah..

Tbh, I dislike those kinds of cars (there is no need for people where I live to drive them, and there are a fair share of soccer-mum idiots who use them). BUT, since you have a valid reason to get one lol.. I like the look of Subaru. The front of the Jeep is ugly, and the Nissan looks too streamlined lol.

And that's just from looks. Spec wise I've got no idea

Ps.

trex1210 wrote:

soon to be fiance. When I ask her. She keeps asking me when we are getting married and I love her to death
Do it!
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6230|NSW, Australia

Forester, but make sure it a XT, and prefer premium

(im a forester lover, but love the SF5 over any other.. well i think in north america you have the SF9 version..)
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Hm, if you could up to to $32k, you could get the Volvo XC60 (supposedly best SUV on the market). Really sweet car.

And have you looked into the Honda CR-V? It's probably the most reliable one out there (Honda has gotten the most reliable car manufacturer for a long time now).
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6260|B.C. Canada
I personally hate the Honda CR-V or any Honda for that matter. Don't know what it is but it reminds me of a granny vehicle. I would love to bump from 25k to 32k but 25 is pushing my budget to the edge already.

The Forester is my favorite and the Nissan Rogue is her favorite. I agree that the Rogue looks to streamlined. It reminds me of an over sized car. So we have both decided we like the Compass.
All I can say is we are having difficulties on deciding and are open to anything. We can't even decide on color for exterior/interior.
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.

Zimmer wrote:

Ugly perhaps, but they are reliable. I've been in them for the last 2 months and they never let us down on the hardest of off road tracks. I was in some piece of shit Land Rover from the 50's or something and it did it's job.

They may guzzle, what 4x4 doesn't off road, or indeed on road?

Last edited by jord (2009-11-04 03:54:19)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

It's sad that the US doesn't have the Nissan Qashqai, because that would definitely have been one of the best ones to get. The Rogue is similar, but entirely different specs, which is not on the good side.

My advice, if you want comfort, top notch quality, really good handling and pretty cheap to run, then you go for the Honda CR-V. Without a doubt.

It's also annoying you guys don't have the Nissan X-Trail.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

I really really REALLY wouldn't go for a Jeep. Not for love nor money. In terms of reliability, they are right at the bottom of the list, and if you're buying a brand new car, that should definitely be your No.1 deciding factor.

I think your best bet there is either the Forester or the Rogue. Both are really good, but both are intended for different purposes. The Subaru is the real thing, whilst the Rogue is the urban equivalent. Both are really reliable, so it's down to feel of the car.

Have you test driven either of them?
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6260|B.C. Canada

Zimmer wrote:

I really really REALLY wouldn't go for a Jeep. Not for love nor money. In terms of reliability, they are right at the bottom of the list, and if you're buying a brand new car, that should definitely be your No.1 deciding factor.

I think your best bet there is either the Forester or the Rogue. Both are really good, but both are intended for different purposes. The Subaru is the real thing, whilst the Rogue is the urban equivalent. Both are really reliable, so it's down to feel of the car.

Have you test driven either of them?
Not yet. We don't have a Subaru or Nissan dealership in the town I live in so we are planning a trip to the next city to test drive both the Forester and Rogue. We have an appointment on Friday to test drive the Jeep Compass.
As for the reliability and safety rating, we haven't checked on that to much lol. The most important thing and we skip right past it. I guess we are to busy with the looks and accessories. Going to have to get on that.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

I've driven a last-gen Forrester a fair bit and I love it. Great car. Handles well, build quality seems good, everything works like you expect it to and even is pretty fun
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
I like my Subaru Forester 2005, not perfect but pretty good. There's no such thing as the perfect car.
Amazingly stable at speed, very low centre of gravity but still one of the best ground clearances.
On the minus side the auto-diff lock thing is a bit annoying around town - on the auto trans.

Do you need something as big as the Jeep?

Forester XT - The XT stands for extra maintenance, extra fuel consumption, the base model goes plenty good enough- pretty sure it needs premium though. Mine still pings on premium.

Also:
http://www.carsurvey.org/
http://www.iihs.org/
http://www.safercar.gov/
Read it.

We don't have a Subaru or Nissan dealership in the town I live in
Rut roh...
You don't want servicing done by some monkey - I had to explain to a tyre fitter that independent suspension = you can't jack it on the centre diff

Also worth checking up on:
Service costs and schedule.
Resale value.
Whether the dealer actually keeps parts in stock.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-11-04 04:39:49)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6744|Reality
Getting a new car is always nice but not always smart. In any case do not buy the first year of any model new or used. Always get a used car inspected by a 3rd party mechanic.

You can save a SIGNIFICANT amount of money getting something a couple of years old. since you have the time to research i would not cross used vehicles off of the list.

The reason you should consider a used vehicle is that you can, with a reasonable amount of certainty, extrapolate repair issues based on other peoples experiences. New cars can be a gamble.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Why an SUV? Oh wait, nevermind, you actually have a valid reason. I thought for a second you're just another SUV cock.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-11-04 05:04:24)

aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5754|Roma

Zimmer wrote:

Hm, if you could up to to $32k, you could get the Volvo XC60 (supposedly best SUV on the market). Really sweet car.

And have you looked into the Honda CR-V? It's probably the most reliable one out there (Honda has gotten the most reliable car manufacturer for a long time now).
what he said. the volvo is a very nice car. A friend of mine has it and its really good.
or get a VW Tiguan.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2009-11-04 05:12:46)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Mitsubishi Endeavor. Basic model is a around 25,000. If you go up to higher levels of models the features get better. Pretty decent cars.
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6303
Forester
Christbane
+51|6236
my personal opinion is that jeep has been shit ever since chrysler took them over and land rover is one of the biggest over priced rolling piles of shit out there.   go with the subaru or the nissan
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5754|Roma

Christbane wrote:

land rover is one of the biggest over priced rolling piles of shit out there.
care to explain why?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

aerodynamic wrote:

Christbane wrote:

land rover is one of the biggest over priced rolling piles of shit out there.
care to explain why?
The absolute newest models of the Land Rover (namely the Freelander and Discovery) are pretty good, other than they guzzle unlike any other SUV. They're just disgustingly expensive for what you get.

The 1-3 year old Freelanders and Discovery's were absolutely horrendous. Massive reliability problems, engine problems. Basically, they were pieces of shit. The 1.8 engine that they supplied the Freelanders with was a massive mistake. It made a hell of a noise because it had to work real hard to get the heavy thing moving and guzzled petrol like nobodys business. Massive problems with head gaskets in the 1.8, where they would just blow without much warning, same with the rear differential.

Land Rovers aren't in his budget anyway. They do have an amazing chassis (the newer ones) and can basically manage anything offroad and on road, but they just aren't worth the price when you can get a really good Volvo XC60 for like $10,000 less or a Honda CR-V for $30,000 less.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard