Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6541|Texas - Bigger than France
I bought Borderlands, upgraded to Nvidia 9400.

Game runs for about two minutes and then hard crash.  Black screen and you can't get anything up.  You have to do a hard shut down.

I've been all over the forums over there looking for a solution, tried some...

...but still it happens.

So my question has to do with power supply to the new video card.

1) Is a complete blackout/comp failure what happens when you have a power issue with the card?
2) How do I figure out if I'm giving the card the right power?
3) I've been told there's a patch coming, which I want to install and see before I spend some cash on a separate power supply...but I don't even know how to figure out if it's a software or hardware issue?

Also...for the 10 minutes I've played...it looks promising (but lots of blackouts).
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5787|Catherine Black
Not really much of an upgrade, the card is most likely cooking.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Pug
Yes, and can you suggest a possible avenue to fix?

I'm just collecting info at this point.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Pug wrote:

Yes, and can you suggest a possible avenue to fix?

I'm just collecting info at this point.
Get a better card. That one is tidly, and Borderlands is just going OMNOMNOM. It's overheating, and shutting down. Reduce your graphics, although I doubt that little thing would even be able to play it on minimum.
Pug
yeah...

thanks.  I was trying to be cheap.

So back to the store.  I'm not a computer guy...what info do I need to bring to the store with me?

When I talked to the guy last time he said "what power supply do you have?"  and I said 120 volt.  That kind of tells you where I'm at tech wise...
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Pug wrote:

yeah...

thanks.  I was trying to be cheap.

So back to the store.  I'm not a computer guy...what info do I need to bring to the store with me?

When I talked to the guy last time he said "what power supply do you have?"  and I said 120 volt.  That kind of tells you where I'm at tech wise...

Emm, crack open your case, look at the sticker for a model number, google it, tell us what PSU you have.

Then windows key + r type "dxdiag" click save all info and upload that.

Then we can recommend a decent GPU.

Oh yeah we need a budget too.
Wallpaper
+303|5993|The pool
Have you tried cleaning the innards of your computer? It might be dusty

If you cant figure out the PSU, just take a picture of its sticker and post it here
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England
Might not even be a temperature problem. Got the latest NVIDIA drivers? Try changing some settings within Borderlands itself.

There's no point rushing into spending more money on a better card if you don't have the money, but in saying that, the 9400 isn't really a gaming card.

I myself have a simple 9600GT and it runs everything I've thrown at it, even now with the latest games. I think they're pretty cheap now, too.
Pug
Went back to store, computer power supply was at the bare minimum for the video card.  So I upgraded the video card (ATI card this time) and a new power supply.

Game works great now.  But there's a new problem:

Upon loading I get a new hardware found, need new driver for Microsoft AAUU bus driver for HD audio.  And there's no sound - you can't even access any - there's no options.

So I spent a few minutes on that, got bored and started playing the game without sound.  I'm hoping to fix it later.

Funny thing is I was just going to play for a few minutes until I figured out it works okay.  Well...two hours later...
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6188|Canada

try reinstalling your sound drivers?
And what did you get for a video card?
Pug
ATI Radon 6800 or something like that.

I haven't tried much on the sound issue...got a little "side tracked"...lol

But thanks...everyone
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6619|Mhz

Pug wrote:

Went back to store, computer power supply was at the bare minimum for the video card.  So I upgraded the video card (ATI card this time) and a new power supply.

Upon loading I get a new hardware found, need new driver for Microsoft AAUU bus driver for HD audio.  And there's no sound - you can't even access any - there's no options.

So I spent a few minutes on that, got bored and started playing the game without sound.  I'm hoping to fix it later.

Funny thing is I was just going to play for a few minutes until I figured out it works okay.  Well...two hours later...
Sure you don't mean UAA?

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND- … udio.shtml
Enjoy.
SealXo
+309|6534
borderlands has some definate gpu problems.
people are having problems in wide varities. for me i get like chunks of the landscape backround in certain areas to turn white for a split second. its not too bad but after awhile gets pretty annoying. im hoping a patch comes out soon.

glad i didn't pay for this. ive got an 8800gt not oc'd and its definitely not cooking the game just has a bunch of random glitche.s

Last edited by SealXo (2009-11-04 14:24:39)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6619|Mhz

I'm running an 8800gt as well, can't see why you'd be having any problems.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

I'm running an 8800gt as well, can't see why you'd be having any problems.
me too.
SealXo
+309|6534
idk its just like a white chop
Pug

Pug wrote:

Sure you don't mean UAA?

Enjoy.
Yeah, I googled that too.  I didn't feel like paying $30 for a driver update service.
Benzin
+576|5997

Pug wrote:

ATI Radon 6800 or something like that.

I haven't tried much on the sound issue...got a little "side tracked"...lol

But thanks...everyone
lol ... boy, you need to educate yourself. No such thing as a 6800...
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6619|Mhz

Pug wrote:

Pug wrote:

Sure you don't mean UAA?

Enjoy.
Yeah, I googled that too.  I didn't feel like paying $30 for a driver update service.
You could try the big 'Download' button instead of hitting the adverts

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/D … azalia.exe <-- direct link
Pug
lol  thanks a bunch.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
You should really have asked us as what card to get instead of just buying something, when your knowledge of cards seems kind of, well, minimal
Pug
Yeah, but lets be honest...I'm not a patient guy.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6188|Canada

It pays to be patient, especially in this case. lol
Pug
current status is no sound but two guys at lvl 15, lol

The driver isn't installing once downloaded.  I'm going to open it up and see if the sound card is getting power or if it's unplugged.  It's in the board though because I'm getting the "need to load driver" error.  I'm going to call tech support once that is checked, and then bring it back if I can't figure it out.
CrazeD
+368|6672|Maine
Make sure your sound card is still the primary device. Some of the ATI cards have HDMI built in and so have a built in sound chip, sometimes it takes over as the primary device when you install it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard