S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL
I've heard only a handfull of rap songs that I actually liked, most of it is garbage, of course, that's true for any genre of music, for every genius, there's dozens of imitators who fail utterly.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691

Beat it with your gay atmosphere shit, Uzique.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
hahaha i like the classics too, especially the wu. dont know how many rap-beginners you're gonna win over with that though-- atmosphere is more accessible! why dont you recommend them some aesop rock, maybe a little mf doom or quasimoto, and some kool keith whilst you're at it, im sure they'll bite on that easily-understandable, friendly stuff!

Last edited by Uzique (2009-11-01 19:41:37)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691

Uzique wrote:

hahaha i like the classics too, especially the wu. dont know how many rap-beginners you're gonna win over with that though-- atmosphere is more accessible! why dont you recommend them some aesop rock, maybe a little mf doom or quasimoto, and some kool keith whilst you're at it, im sure they'll bite on that easily-understandable, friendly stuff!
One cannot be eased into rap. It's the blues behind the artists that make the tracks good.

Maybe it was easier for me to appreciate and get into rap because of my spatial situation.

The first song that really got me was "Short Wanna Be A Thug" by 2Pac. It came on the stereo in my brother's car one night and the rest was history.

If a transition is needed I think ATCQ is the way to go.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-11-01 19:49:46)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
ATCQ, yeah agreed.

deltron 3030.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada

DesertFox- wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Stuff nowadays sucks, though. The early '90s were the only time rap was good (pretty much West Coast only, too). I can't stand the shitty popular rap/hip-hop that people listen to now.
West coast only?

HAHA.
The beautiful thing about ones opinion is that you're not going to change it by derision. There's no right or wrong answer to what is "the best" in any type of music, or really any aspect of life itself. I find early '90s west coast rap to be the most appealing to me...you're no more correct than I am.
You implied that only West Coast artists were/are any good, not that you liked them better.

I can't read minds, especially not on the internet.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691
I like me some Outkast.
Wreckognize
+294|6484
MF Doom is overrated.  He has phat beats but I can't stand his weak lazy ass flow. 

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

Wreckognize wrote:

MF Doom is overrated.  He has phat beats but I can't stand his weak lazy ass flow.
That's exactly why I can't listen to him.

KMD is pretty dope though...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
his lazy ass flow is the whole point i think it's good... it's different.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

Uzique wrote:

his lazy ass flow is the whole point i think it's good... it's different.
I heard one of his fans say the shit quality of his new album was "the whole point".

I seem to be missing this point.

"This dude sucks, that's the whole point."
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
meh... there are no excuses for his latest stuff. doom fell off the wagon a while back, that's that. a lot of rappers do it. jay-z is hardly still in his golden era, is he? DOOM's best stuff is his operation: doomsday album, the early KMD, the collaboration with madlib on madvillainy, and his beats/production for his other projects: viktor vaughn and king geedorah. that stuff is amazing.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Atmosphere are good.

I like The-dream, his tunes are pretty nice to listen to.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5979|Toronto

Uzique wrote:

TSI wrote:

The problem with rap is that it's overdone. Every single video is of some guy wearing the same type of football jersey (or better still-- half-naked covered in tatoos) and size 99 pants, driving in butt-ugly cars with even uglier rims, getting scantily dressed women to imitate sex, and not being able to speak properly, all the while holding up their too-large gaarments by grabbing their crotch. Moreover, rap has very little musical side; there are no instruments.
Now, I will concede that some rap lyrics are half-good, but as BlackPanther says, 99% is the same crap. When they can dress properly, drive cars that reflect their wealth rather than their lack of taste, and get popular for reasons other than sluts' bottoms appearing on the screen, I'll consider it music worth my while.
when you can listen to some rap/hip-hop that isnt spoonfed to you by mainstream media and top10 radio stations... then i'll consider your opinion worth my while. when you only have a summary knowledge of ANY genre, it'll seem pretty shallow, superficial and shit. i could make the same misinformed comment about, say, electronic music ("the problem is it all seems to feature blonde, big-titted singers and repetitive 4/4 drumbeats") or folk music ("it seems to all be contrived american college-kids with jesus beards and vintage flannel shirts"). when you're into a genre and you know what's good and what's not, then you're informed and you can form a decent opinion. until then, all im seeing in this thread is a bunch of marginalized weird-fucks, e.g. macbeth, who are probably alienated by the mainstream popularity of rap and rap fans, or a bunch of geeky, uninformed internet crusaders who think they know what they're talking about because they've read the wiki and have seen MTV.
That's the problem. You say I have a superficial knowledge; tell me, how do you know that? But yet if you compile a list of every single rap song ever made, you will understand my point. Believe me, I do appreciate some. Some. Not most, and certainly not all. If you bothered to look at the full spectrum of rap out there, instead of just the good stuff, you'd see what I mean.
I like pie.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6364|California
Got Rice is a good rap song, it talks about my asian culture
always take off your shoes before you enter, or bitch GTFO!!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

TSI wrote:

Uzique wrote:

TSI wrote:

The problem with rap is that it's overdone. Every single video is of some guy wearing the same type of football jersey (or better still-- half-naked covered in tatoos) and size 99 pants, driving in butt-ugly cars with even uglier rims, getting scantily dressed women to imitate sex, and not being able to speak properly, all the while holding up their too-large gaarments by grabbing their crotch. Moreover, rap has very little musical side; there are no instruments.
Now, I will concede that some rap lyrics are half-good, but as BlackPanther says, 99% is the same crap. When they can dress properly, drive cars that reflect their wealth rather than their lack of taste, and get popular for reasons other than sluts' bottoms appearing on the screen, I'll consider it music worth my while.
when you can listen to some rap/hip-hop that isnt spoonfed to you by mainstream media and top10 radio stations... then i'll consider your opinion worth my while. when you only have a summary knowledge of ANY genre, it'll seem pretty shallow, superficial and shit. i could make the same misinformed comment about, say, electronic music ("the problem is it all seems to feature blonde, big-titted singers and repetitive 4/4 drumbeats") or folk music ("it seems to all be contrived american college-kids with jesus beards and vintage flannel shirts"). when you're into a genre and you know what's good and what's not, then you're informed and you can form a decent opinion. until then, all im seeing in this thread is a bunch of marginalized weird-fucks, e.g. macbeth, who are probably alienated by the mainstream popularity of rap and rap fans, or a bunch of geeky, uninformed internet crusaders who think they know what they're talking about because they've read the wiki and have seen MTV.
That's the problem. You say I have a superficial knowledge; tell me, how do you know that? But yet if you compile a list of every single rap song ever made, you will understand my point. Believe me, I do appreciate some. Some. Not most, and certainly not all. If you bothered to look at the full spectrum of rap out there, instead of just the good stuff, you'd see what I mean.
that's not really a good argument is it, because whatever genre of music you like, i could quote some token-bad examples. im not going to devalue my opinion of a genre i love - for example, electronica - because there are some really shitty bedroom producers or some really embarassing sub-genres out there. when i say listen to rap/hip-hop, and i exclusively recommend 'good stuff' and encourage you to shun the bad, that's not an indictment on the genre or my knowledge of it. it's called being discerning. in every artistic mode of expression there's a whole lot of shit that you have to filter through. it shouldn't condemn the whole genre/style.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5979|Toronto

Uzique wrote:

TSI wrote:

Uzique wrote:

that's not really a good argument is it, because whatever genre of music you like, i could quote some token-bad examples. im not going to devalue my opinion of a genre i love - for example, electronica - because there are some really shitty bedroom producers or some really embarassing sub-genres out there. when i say listen to rap/hip-hop, and i exclusively recommend 'good stuff' and encourage you to shun the bad, that's not an indictment on the genre or my knowledge of it. it's called being discerning. in every artistic mode of expression there's a whole lot of shit that you have to filter through. it shouldn't condemn the whole genre/style.
No, definitely, and that was my point. The vast majority (as opposed to the entire genre) is bad. As you say, there's a whole lot of shit you have to filter through.
I like pie.
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6583|England
You say the vast majority is bad, but the vast majority doesn't  get any airplay.  It's the tiny minority that you see on MTV Base and the like.  You have to view that stuff as pop music because it's made for a pop audience.  There's plenty of quality hip hop artisits out there putting their own music out on their own labels, probably many more than the few who receive radio/video play time.  So I think we can say that the vast majority is unheard as opposed to bad.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Anyone who says something along the lines of "most rap is bad" is a fucking idiot.

Let's have a competition.

I write down a list of good rappers, you write down a list of bad rappers.
See who has the longest list at the end.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6106|Birmingham, UK
Define bad?

Same can be said about every genre...
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

SEREVENT wrote:

Define bad?

Same can be said about every genre...
^ Exactly.

These are opinions, it's all subjective.

You think some form of music sucks and people who listen to it are idiots? That's great.
You think some form of music is awesome and people who don't listen to it are idiots? That's great.
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6257|B.C. Canada
I like some rap music when I am out for a run or when I am at the gym. I like to run to the beat of it and the raps get me pumped up.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

TSI wrote:

No, definitely, and that was my point. The vast majority (as opposed to the entire genre) is bad. As you say, there's a whole lot of shit you have to filter through.
I think Uzi's point is that you haven't heard a lot of hip-hop.  If you were to say, "I think Atmosphere and Sage Francis are shit because most their music is depression-laden self introspection and talk about drugs" or "Necro sucks because he mainly talks about gore and the macabre" or "Jedi Mind Tricks suck because Vinnie Paz is a violent thug-wannabe who talks about murdering people in the name of Allah" your opinion might have some weight, because you are demonstrating that you know more about rap/hip-hop than what is played on TV.  Instead you say "rap sucks" and then proceed to back that opinion up with the shittiest (most played) 1% of hip hop as your gleaming examples of why it sucks.  Open mind, open ears, open heart.

Obligatory recommendation of good hip hop:

Wreckognize
+294|6484

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard