Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6701|Canberra, AUS

ATG wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

ATG wrote:

Seems like, considering all the failing government services worldwide, the destitute people and failing businesses and robbed pensions that we could find something better to expend resources on.
Except projects like these provide jobs.
The money would be better spent cleaning up the great garbage patch.
Or not - if I choose where my money is spent, uncovering the deepest mysteries of the universe sounds much more enticing than garbage removal. As Kmar said... that's what makes us human. Not shitcleaning.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6836|NÃ¥rvei

Spark wrote:

ATG wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Or not - if I choose where my money is spent, uncovering the deepest mysteries of the universe sounds much more enticing than garbage removal. As Kmar said... that's what makes us human. Not shitcleaning.
Correct ... shitcleaning is what defines us though
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426

Spark wrote:

ATG wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

spoken like a rich person.  these are the projects you do when you have money.  all this does is employ some overpaid scientists and whatnot.  yay.
Spark
+874|6701|Canberra, AUS
I'm sure someone said the same thing to Shockley but here we are now debating on computers.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426

Spark wrote:

I'm sure someone said the same thing to Shockley but here we are now debating on computers.
wow.  thats like comparing apples to mud flaps.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6440|Finland

Red Forman wrote:

Spark wrote:

ATG wrote:

spoken like a rich person.  these are the projects you do when you have money.  all this does is employ some overpaid scientists and whatnot.  yay.
You wouldn't be here typing that with your PC if these "overpaid scientists" weren't there.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426
lol...you people assume that the computer would not be created by some other method/person.  it was also not bank rolled for 100k plus scientists.  honestly.  this program already had a fucking terrorist arrest ffs.

Last edited by Red Forman (2009-10-22 03:15:42)

Spark
+874|6701|Canberra, AUS

Red Forman wrote:

Spark wrote:

wow.  thats like comparing apples to mud flaps.
Both theoretical physics. Okay, maybe Shockley was a bad example. Try Heisenberg. What use could the uncertainty principle possibly have - it only matters on a scale that is almost by definition unobservable.

Yet I guarantee there are devices all around us that rely on said principle to exist. Exactly the same thing at the LHC.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6701|Canberra, AUS

Red Forman wrote:

lol...you people assume that the computer would not be created by some other method/person.  it was also not bank rolled for 100k plus scientists.  honestly.  this program already had a fucking terrorist arrest ffs.
without 'useless' physics the computer would not exist.

unless you like computers the size of a room and the processing ability of an abacus.
~ Richard Feynman
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426

Spark wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

unless you like computers the size of a room and the processing ability of an abacus.
i didnt say useless physics.  dont start your shit with me.  i aint lowing.  just saying this large group of scientists is not what the world needs right now.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6657|Finland

Red Forman wrote:

Spark wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

i didnt say useless physics.  dont start your shit with me.  i aint lowing.  just saying this large group of scientists is not what the world needs right now.
Sure it is. And the money spent is peanuts compared to all the actually useless shit that's being funded around us.
I need around tree fiddy.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426
peanuts add up.  i am sure the peanuts could help somehwere else right now.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6440|Finland

Red Forman wrote:

If they didn't spend this money in LHC, they probably would just put that money towards even more Army stuff. At least LHC hasn't killed anyone, yet.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

If they didn't spend this money in LHC, they probably would just put that money towards even more Army stuff. At least LHC hasn't killed anyone, yet.
just a matter of opinion.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426
how long do you drag it on though?  lets say you cant get it to work for like 10 more years.  thats a lot of peanuts.
Spark
+874|6701|Canberra, AUS
CERNs total funding is pretty close to a billion US dollars. Fairly tiny peanuts.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6701|Canberra, AUS

Red Forman wrote:

how long do you drag it on though?  lets say you cant get it to work for like 10 more years.  thats a lot of peanuts.
Then that is a problem, of course, and your argument would hold a lot of weight. But hopefully that won't heppn.
~ Richard Feynman
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6440|Finland

Red Forman wrote:

For example fusion reactor research has been there for long time now and its still on top priority because of the possible benefits being enormous. If they had stopped as soon as there were problems, we wouldn't have anything these days.

Something like LHC probably has pretty well planned deadline, or the LHC will be modified to do something else after certain time.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-10-22 03:33:54)

DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6657|Finland

Spark wrote:

CERNs total funding is pretty close to a billion US dollars. Fairly tiny peanuts.
As a comparison, the sum of Formula 1 teams budgets in 2008 was $3,073.45 million.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426

DonFck wrote:

Spark wrote:

As a comparison, the sum of Formula 1 teams budgets in 2008 was $3,073.45 million.
ok?

tell that to the millions of people without jobs.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6657|Finland

Red Forman wrote:

DonFck wrote:

Spark wrote:

ok?

Did you not understand what I said? The amount of money spent in groundbreaking science is nothing compared to the massive amounts of money that revolve around comparatively useless things. 3 billion dollars in Formula 1. As another example, Michael Jordan made USD 35 mil in 2004 for running around and throwing a fucking ball, and that's probably not including sponsorship deals, just one guy.

Funding of a science center far exceeds (IMHO) the need to overcompensate/overpay in areas that do not contribute to a brighter future, which CERN results hopefully will.

Tell that to the millions of people without jobs.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426

DonFck wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

DonFck wrote:

ok?

Did you not understand what I said? The amount of money spent in groundbreaking science is nothing compared to the massive amounts of money that revolve around comparatively useless things. 3 billion dollars in Formula 1. As another example, Michael Jordan made USD 35 mil in 2004 for running around and throwing a fucking ball, and that's probably not including sponsorship deals, just one guy.

Funding of a science center far exceeds (IMHO) the need to overcompensate/overpay in areas that do not contribute to a brighter future, which CERN results hopefully will.

and the people payed to see him and buy the products.  you can still discover this stuff 2 years from now right?  yes.  so spend it where needed now.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6350|Graz, Austria

AussieReaper wrote:

They decided to fire it and see.
Well, that's how science works.
Learning by doing. Trial and error.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6495

Red Forman wrote:

DonFck wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

ok?

and the people payed to see him and buy the products.  you can still discover this stuff 2 years from now right?  yes.  so spend it where needed now.
People like you are going to get us all killed.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5426

NooBesT wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

DonFck wrote:

People like you are going to get us all killed.
people like you keep the poor people poor.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard