Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6473|6 6 4 oh, I forget

About that chart. I'm curious. Any idea how the classification has been done with physical harm? I'm interested in the criteria n' such.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
straight pharmacological toxicity, normally. considering the neurotoxicity of the chemicals, the reuptake factor and any side-products created within the body during metabolism; also probably considering the half-life and effective 'lifespan' of the chemical harm, too.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6473|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Thanks. What's with the colours btw?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
i guess it's a medical definition of 'classes', i.e. from least harmful class to most harmful class

obviously as you can see the legal definition of drug-classes does not operate so much upon a medical/scientific basis
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

and how exactly would you objectively chart such a thing... ridiculous notion.

the anecdotal evidence, however, greatly leans to suggest that THC is more psychologically harmful (especially long-term) than ecstasy
Physical harm is pretty hard to quantify absolutely, psychological harm, dunno, temporary and permanent reduction in IQ and reaction time?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
a permanent reduction in IQ and reaction? what the fuck are you talking about?

THC affects memory... but as for motor-skills... it's not a fucking stroke.

and the co-relation of 'IQ' to drug-use is retarded. IQ tests are retarded for most people that have never used a substance, anyway.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well, IQ tests measure memory and speed of reasoning which are part of brain function, motor skills are a function of brain function  - I imagine you'd agree alcohol affects motor skills without being a stroke.

Psychosis is pretty hard to measure but I'm pretty sure there are scales.

I'd like to know how 'physical harm' is defined before we go much further trying to define psychological harm.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-11-04 03:05:20)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
did you miss my above post or what.

psychosis is a mental state, there are no 'scales'. there are scales to things like 'depression' and 'anxiety', separating them into separate disorders of varying cause and severity. but a psychosis is a mental state with a set of medically defined symptoms. i think you're conflating and mixing up medical terms a little bit, there.

i'm not sure i'd agree that casual consumption of alcohol affects motor-skills or reaction times, or even in the long-term. perhaps when heavily abused - and still, alcohol is far more harmful to a person both physically and mentally than the other drugs we're talking about.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
alcohol is far more harmful to a person both physically and mentally than the other drugs we're talking about
Until we're clear about how 'physical harm' or 'psychological harm' are defined there's no way of comparing drugs relatively.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
i've already said in about 2 posts now how physical harm is measured, pharmacologically and toxically.

also there is the therapeutic ratio, which puts alcohol way above the likes of THC and MDMA at 10:1
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

If uzique's mental stability is anything to go by for downing an E, then i'm staying the fuck away from that shit.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So what scales are used for pharmacological and toxicological harm? What is the measure for harm?
The positions on the chart will change drastically depending on the definitions.

I'd like to see the same chart for psychological or mental harm also, and a thorough definition of it, since thats half the problem with drugs.
I'm less concerned about whether someone dies in their bed from cancer than whether they'll hit push me under a bus because they think I'm a three-headed goblin from another dimension for example, or need institutional care for their whole life.

I don't really care too much about the therapeutic ratio either, not my problem if a junkie dies.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-11-04 03:30:54)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

tazz. wrote:

If uzique's mental stability is anything to go by for downing an E, then i'm staying the fuck away from that shit.
you don't need drugs you can just get drunk on the holy spirit

also when i was a live-spark i wasn't taking mdma at all... that's speed that will do that to you. can't say i'd vouch for it, but still

better than swallowing someone else's line

dilbert your example of a guy "pushing you under a bus" is ridiculous. it sounds like something from a high-school 'DONT DO DRUGS' lesson. "oh don't take acid because you'll think you're a giant orange that can fly and you'll jump off a high building". these scare stories are spun from a very small number of individual cases, where it is obvious that the person had massive underlying mental health issues beforehand. the hundreds of thousands of people that take 'mind altering' substances every day are not out there raping, pillaging and wreaking havoc. it's just a few small cases of people that flip out - just as they can without the fucking drugs - and doing harm. politicians and the media love a good tragedy that involves drugs: easy scapegoat. why be such an idiot to subscribe to it? i can't say i've done any drug that has EVER got me to another reality, where im so twisted. and i've done strong acid several times, which is considered the most mind-altering substance. the most i've had is bemusing visual patterning and vivid sensations. it's all bullshit.

so forget the 'medical rational evidence' until you have deconstructed your own ridiculous stereotypes
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Someone has supposedly assessed and ranked the harm.
Why not just put forward the medical rational evidence now?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT
Can you even read your own chart, Uzi? I see the position of ecstasy, and note that it is further to the right than marijuana, which indicates it is more physically harmful than marijuana. I don't see any complicating factors, because while marijuana induces more dependence in its users (something I'd definitely believe given the smoking habits I've observed here), said dependence is purely psychological and hence not "chemically toxic".
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Dilbert_X wrote:

Someone has supposedly assessed and ranked the harm.
Why not just put forward the medical rational evidence now?
Something like this?

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio … iew=Binary
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5036|Massachusetts, USA

nukchebi0 wrote:

Can you even read your own chart, Uzi? I see the position of ecstasy, and note that it is further to the right than marijuana, which indicates it is more physically harmful than marijuana. I don't see any complicating factors, because while marijuana induces more dependence in its users (something I'd definitely believe given the smoking habits I've observed here), said dependence is purely psychological and hence not "chemically toxic".
It's practically dead on with THC, you're just too fucking dumb to see it.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26506/drug%20chart%20explained.gif

Not that difficult to see, honestly.

Moreover, regardless, it is quite clear that MDMA is not significantly less chemically toxic than THC is, as Uzique asserts.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
erm nuk are you incapable of reading basic graphs?

further across and further high up together = more dangerous

placing on the x and y axes at the same time, THC is more 'harmful' than MDMA

besides your argument was that MDMA 'rots your brain', as if it's some super toxic chemical... when in fact it's less dangerous, overall, then THC
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6659|The darkside of Denver
note how anabolic steriods are not harmful nor addicting.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
they just shrink your balls and turn you into Robert Paulson
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Uzique wrote:

besides your argument was that MDMA 'rots your brain', as if it's some super toxic chemical... when in fact it's less dangerous, overall, then THC
Not really, because dependence is not harm. The two things are independent of each other.

Besides, most pills have more speed, K and other crap in them than they do MDMA.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6659|The darkside of Denver

Poseidon wrote:

^retarded post
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York

SonderKommando wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

^retarded post
are you really going to disagree that it does either?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

Bertster7 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Not really, because dependence is not harm. The two things are independent of each other.

Besides, most pills have more speed, K and other crap in them than they do MDMA.
who mentioned pills? MDMA is a crystal. you grind it up and snort it, or ingest it.

if you're taking pills, then you're taking pills. have fun with that lottery.

dependence and harm are NOT independent. how can you regard it that way? if you become physically/psychologically dependent on a drug, then your frequency (and often the dose, too) increases exponentially. couple that with the harm that is does to your body in every instance, and the end result is MUCH more harmful. to separate drug-dependency and drug-harm is completely ridiculous, and just to suit your argument.

look, im not saying weed is harmful or dangerous on any objective scale; i was merely replying to a comment that implied MDMA taking was somehow far more toxic and physically/mentally damaging. the fact that they're fairly similar on a medical scale refutes that. what i find striking is the 'culture' of casual marijuana use, whereas MDMA is normally kept to perhaps a few uses every 2-3 months. the cumulative stats speak for themselves.

tl;dr: stoners cannot retort about mdma with any credibility

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard