Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
If anyone is curious...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16720502/Iraq

lmk what you think

Edit - Oh, a warning, it's 17 pages long.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-10-15 08:21:56)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
*scrolls past poem*

Hmm... I read some of it (the real parts), seems like an interesting read.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

It's very interesting. Doesn't really read like you though, sounds more like some liberal hippy. Changed your mind slightly since you wrote it?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ghettoperson wrote:

It's very interesting. Doesn't really read like you though, sounds more like some liberal hippy. Changed your mind slightly since you wrote it?
How so? I've always been anti-war. The economic ideology came after I wrote that though, yes.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

How so? I've always been anti-war. The economic ideology came after I wrote that though, yes.
You don't seem to come off quite that way on here. Maybe I don't read your posts closely enough, I don't know.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ghettoperson wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

You don't seem to come off quite that way on here. Maybe I don't read your posts closely enough, I don't know.
Ahh, I think I know why. I think that war should be an absolute last resort for any nation. But, if you are going to fight a war you need to remove the gloves and let the military do what it's supposed to do. The Rules of Engagement that we were forced to fight under when I was there led to many deaths. They tried turning a military designed to fight into a police force and it led to a lot of frustration. When the entire country walks around with AK-47s openly it's difficult to know who the good guys are and who are the bad guys. Forcing our soldiers to wait until fired upon is a death sentence in many cases.

I'm anti war in general and I think the Iraq invasion was unjustified. But, once you're committed you have to see it through for better or worse.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-10-15 08:48:13)

-Frederick Bastiat
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land
Interesting and nicely written. Apart from a few spelling mistakes
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ruisleipa wrote:

Interesting and nicely written. Apart from a few spelling mistakes
I r engineering major, not engrish major
-Frederick Bastiat
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5859
too long, shit song at beginning is a put off
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rammunition wrote:

Shrug, I liked it at the time. This was written about 3 years ago.
-Frederick Bastiat
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5859

JohnG@lt wrote:

rammunition wrote:

3 years ago??? no updates since?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
So I ended up reading the whole thing. An interesting conversation you had with your Commander...! But it's always good to read about stuff like this from a down to earth perspective.

Also Gurkha's (or Gorkhas) are from Nepal and serve with either the British or Indian Army.

And it's spelt Crescendo
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

So I ended up reading the whole thing. An interesting conversation you had with your Commander...! But it's always good to read about stuff like this from a down to earth perspective.

Also Gurkha's (or Gorkhas) are from Nepal and serve with either the British or Indian Army.

And it's spelt Crescendo
The story I was told was that they faced a British officer in India and were so impressed by his courage that they chose to fight for him. Also, something about mercenaries not being allowed on the shores of England so they are stationed on the Isle of Man or something.
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

Jeez guys, give him a break about the spelling, no one pulls that shit on here. It's not like he's having it published.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rammunition wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

rammunition wrote:

I can barely remember the names of the people on my team, let alone individual events that took place. Why dredge up old memories again? After I wrote the paper I guess I blocked it all out and haven't really thought of it since.
-Frederick Bastiat
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5859

JohnG@lt wrote:

rammunition wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I can barely remember the names of the people on my team, let alone individual events that took place. Why dredge up old memories again? After I wrote the paper I guess I blocked it all out and haven't really thought of it since.
Understandable.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

And it's spelt Crescendo
The story I was told was that they faced a British officer in India and were so impressed by his courage that they chose to fight for him. Also, something about mercenaries not being allowed on the shores of England so they are stationed on the Isle of Man or something.
They're not classified as mercs iirc, I've never heard anything about that. I think it was the other way round also, the British were impressed with their courage etc..

The wiki has more info if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

And it's spelt Crescendo
They're not classified as mercs iirc, I've never heard anything about that. I think it was the other way round also, the British were impressed with their courage etc..

The wiki has more info if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha
Again, it was just the story I was told when I was there. British colonial history in India is not my forte

In fact, it's limited to the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-10-15 09:04:01)

-Frederick Bastiat
Dr.PhiL
Danmark
+30|6667|Up North
Just read the whole thing, and it was a very good read.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6643

JohnG@lt wrote:

If anyone is curious...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16720502/Iraq

lmk what you think

Edit - Oh, a warning, it's 17 pages long.
yeah read parts of it, sounds good love the intro
13rin
+977|6477
Thank you for your service.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
Must say - what was with your battalion commander?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

Must say - what was with your battalion commander?
He bore a striking resemblance to Mr Burns from the Simpsons. He had about as much heart too.
-Frederick Bastiat
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6778|Great Brown North

JohnG@lt wrote:

those books rock!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

krazed wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

those books rock!
I've read everything he's written
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard