Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

dude, i did not ask for links to us army's promo site were they speak in tongues just as you do, only the words they use are somewhat prettier - that bullshit i could have found on my own. my question above was a rhetorical one - you can't define "spiritual counceling" in terms of rational logic, and you know it.
Lazy. Just plain lazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastoral_counseling

Legitimate pastoral counseling affirms the client's own spiritual journey and faith community even those these may be different from the counselors. Thus it precludes proselytizing and "evangelical" efforts to induce the client to change faith communities.
oh, more speaking in tongues. thanks, but that stuff is just as out there as the rest of your "spititual counceling" mumbo-jumbo. c'mon, first you tell me how most of the people on this rock beleave in fairytales and then you quote wikipedia which just about anybody could edit? that's cute.

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

no matter how many people on this planet beleave in santa claus - it doesn't make him any more real. there were times when earth was beleaved to be flat by everybody, man, so what? we are not discussing fairy tales or those who beleave in them here, i'm trying to get an answer to the simple question from you: if not for religious propaganda what else does us army need those chaplains for?
See above.

In nearly 15 years of active duty military service, I can count on both hands the number of times I've seen a chaplain uninvited. And it's never been for "religious propaganda"--it's always been a "I'm the new Command Chaplain and I'm here if you need me".

Does that adequately answer your question?
no. that doesn't answer anything at all, actually. information manipulation, as i'm sure you know yourself, doesn't have to be thrown in the face of everybody to work - the most effective kinds of it are subtle and very hard to detect. by subjecting themselves to so called "religious teachings" - irrational stuff, something nobody can define, measure or communicate to each other - people voluntary make themselves vulnerable to more propaganda. that is one purpose i can see any state, army or other organization would use religion for.

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Plenty. Personal feelings about a certain topic. Policy that is at odds with that. It happens all the time.
yeah, sure. there's only one teensy little problem - when those feelings are being expressed by somebody like president of the united states very few people take them as personal opinions of just that one dude.
They absolutely do when they are religious in nature. And policy initiatives are ALWAYS run through legal counsel before they go beyond the idea stage.
of course those initiatives are run through legal counsel, would be completely retarded if they weren't, but it's not a matter of legislation at all. it's how those incentives are interpreted and received by the population - and unless polititians stop talking about their religious feelings altogether those will always be a factor.

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

yeah yeah. chooseing to be reasonable; to try to develop and act on ones own moral principles not taken from some dusty old book but based on life experience and commom sence; to accept ones own responsibility for being human and for living in human society - that's the easy way out.
You assume following religious principles and what you describe are mutually exclusive. How ridiculously close-minded.
i'm not assuming anything, i'm just saying that a lot of people, myself included, manage to live their lives just fine without religious crutch of any kind to support them.

Last edited by Shahter (2009-11-06 22:47:07)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

dude, i did not ask for links to us army's promo site were they speak in tongues just as you do, only the words they use are somewhat prettier - that bullshit i could have found on my own. my question above was a rhetorical one - you can't define "spiritual counceling" in terms of rational logic, and you know it.
Lazy. Just plain lazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastoral_counseling

Legitimate pastoral counseling affirms the client's own spiritual journey and faith community even those these may be different from the counselors. Thus it precludes proselytizing and "evangelical" efforts to induce the client to change faith communities.
oh, more speaking in tongues. thanks, but that stuff is just as out there as the rest of your "spititual counceling" mumbo-jumbo. c'mon, first you tell me how most of the people on this rock beleave in fairytales and then you quote wikipedia which just about anybody could edit? that's cute.
Of ffs. You're just not going to believe anything that doesn't start with "Shahter knows everything. Shahter's opinion is the most informed, regardless of topic." will you? That definition of Pastoral Counseling is spot on with what Chaplains are charged with in the military. The fact that you are too blinded with ideology to perform a simple deductive reasoning exercise is not my problem.

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

no matter how many people on this planet beleave in santa claus - it doesn't make him any more real. there were times when earth was beleaved to be flat by everybody, man, so what? we are not discussing fairy tales or those who beleave in them here, i'm trying to get an answer to the simple question from you: if not for religious propaganda what else does us army need those chaplains for?
See above.

In nearly 15 years of active duty military service, I can count on both hands the number of times I've seen a chaplain uninvited. And it's never been for "religious propaganda"--it's always been a "I'm the new Command Chaplain and I'm here if you need me".

Does that adequately answer your question?
no. that doesn't answer anything at all, actually. information manipulation, as i'm sure you know yourself, doesn't have to be thrown in the face of everybody to work - the most effective kinds of it are subtle and very hard to detect. by subjecting themselves to so called "religious teachings" - irrational stuff, something nobody can define, measure or communicate to each other - people voluntary make themselves vulnerable to more propaganda. that is one purpose i can see any state, army or other organization would use religion for.
It has to be there in order for it to even be subtle. That's the point I was making. People in the military no more "subject themselves" to "religious teaching" than anyone else in the general population. The chaplains don't run around the average organizations proselytizing or selling their wares. That is done in church or synagogue or mosque, on the prescribed day of worship...just like in the civilian world.

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

yeah, sure. there's only one teensy little problem - when those feelings are being expressed by somebody like president of the united states very few people take them as personal opinions of just that one dude.
They absolutely do when they are religious in nature. And policy initiatives are ALWAYS run through legal counsel before they go beyond the idea stage.
of course those initiatives are run through legal counsel, would be completely retarded if they weren't, but it's not a matter of legislation at all. it's how those incentives are interpreted and received by the population - and unless polititians stop talking about their religious feelings altogether those will always be a factor.
How the populations interpret anything is irrelevant in a legal sense. It's how the law is written and enacted that matters. Feelings have fuckall to do with it.

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

yeah yeah. chooseing to be reasonable; to try to develop and act on ones own moral principles not taken from some dusty old book but based on life experience and commom sence; to accept ones own responsibility for being human and for living in human society - that's the easy way out.
You assume following religious principles and what you describe are mutually exclusive. How ridiculously close-minded.
i'm not assuming anything, i'm just saying that a lot of people, myself included, manage to live their lives just fine without religious crutch of any kind to support them.
And by describing religion as a "crutch" you are being ridiculously close-minded. Assuming that the one who has religion has some sort of weakness they are propping up with it. Close-minded as well as misplaced elitism, tbh.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia
ok, this is going nowhere, as i knew it would. it's a debate of a blind man with a deaf man about sounds and colors. you say that i'm "blinded with ideology" when your own faith in religion/government/legislation/great-nation-of-usa and all that... stuff is... well... i told you i wouldn't attack your personal faith and i won't, but your attempts to rationalize it are just silly to say the least.
so, let's just say that i'm incapable of seeing these issues we've been discussing here from your perspective at all, because i lack the ability to take something on pure faith.
have a nice day.
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

ok, this is going nowhere, as i knew it would. it's a debate of a blind man with a deaf man about sounds and colors. you say that i'm "blinded with ideology" when your own faith in religion/government/legislation/great-nation-of-usa and all that... stuff is... well... i told you i wouldn't attack your personal faith and i won't, but your attempts to rationalize it are just silly to say the least.
so, let's just say that i'm incapable of seeing these issues we've been discussing here from your perspective at all, because i lack the ability to take something on pure faith.
have a nice day.
I'm not talking about my personal faith. I haven't mentioned my personal faith (or lack thereof) a single time. It's your argument that I'm debating, and it's your argument that is falling on its face.

You are arguing that chaplains are there to somehow brainwash or propagandize within the military. They are not. It's not a matter of my own "faith in religion/government/legislation/great-nation-of-usa and all that". It's a matter of fact. Period.

You have your opinion on your side.

I have fact on mine.

No wonder you've quit the discussion. You've got nothing to back up your opinion other than more opinion.

You most certainly do NOT lack the ability to take something on pure faith. You've done exactly that with your own position on this issue.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia
dude . nothing is fact in this world. you backed your so called "facts" with no reasoning whatsoever - all you came up with is "spiritual counceling" mumbo-jumbo, which you couldn't even define. so, if not on your personal faith, what esle do you base your opinion on? (don't tell me it's wikipedia). i at least base mine on common sence and life experience and don't claim to know the unknowable.
well... whatever. you know "facts". you really think you do. there's nothing else here to discuss.
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

dude . nothing is fact in this world. you backed your so called "facts" with no reasoning whatsoever - all you came up with is "spiritual counceling" mumbo-jumbo, which you couldn't even define. so, if not on your personal faith, what esle do you base your opinion on? (don't tell me it's wikipedia). i at least base mine on common sence and life experience and don't claim to know the unknowable.
well... whatever. you know "facts". you really think you do. there's nothing else here to discuss.
I provided a damn sight more than you did, Sparky.

Links showing the chaplains' job is primarily spiritual/pastoral counseling. A link showing that pastoral counseling specifically precludes proselytizing. The combination of which completely discombobulates the basis of your original argument.

But there's nothing there. Of course. I can see that now.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Still managed 50+ conversions without proselytising apparently.
Isn't that like a snake oil salesman selling snake oil without being allowed to advertise?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Isn't that like a snake oil salesman selling snake oil without being allowed to advertise?
No, it isn't.

They can proselytize in church, synagogue, mosque, etc (as stated previously, had you bothered to read).
― Albert Einstein

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

No, it isn't.

They can proselytize in church, synagogue, mosque, etc (as stated previously, had you bothered to read).
yeah, yeah. they keep honey in their mouths but never taste it. this is just silly, man. rules, laws, regulations are all there to be broken, it doesn't mean shit what they say or write in some momorandum book they need those chplains for - those do proselytise and spread propaganda, simply because they can. you might be dumb enough not to understand this, but i'm sure those who decided to have those religious nutters in army do.
but then again, wikipedia says different as do promo-sites, so it must be that way.
/facepalm

edit: must. improve. english...

Last edited by Shahter (2009-11-13 05:21:07)

FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

No, it isn't.

yeah, yeah. they keep honey in their mouths but never taste it. this is just silly, man. rules, laws, regulations are all there to be broken, it doesn't mean shit what they say or write in some momorandum book they need those chplains for - those do proselytise and spread propaganda, simply because they can. you might be dumb enough not to understand this, but i'm sure those who decided to have those religious nutters in army do.
but then again, wikipedia says different as do promo-sites, so it must be that way.
/facepalm

edit: must. improve. english...
What experience do you have that would back your opinion? None.

What evidence do you have that would back your opinion? None.

What experience do I have that backs mine? 15 years of active duty, 9.5 spent with a kid who spends quite a bit of time in the intensive care unit...where I've gotten the opportunity to interact with military chaplains quite a bit. In my new job, as second in command of a unit, I'm very familiar with the boundaries of the chaplaincy, as they are a key resource for unit leadership when it comes to personnel issues.

Maybe the approach of the clergy is different in Russia than it is in the US. Here, our clergy act very differently, depending on the situation they find themselves in...saving the the proselytizing and "propagandizing" for the pulpit.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard