Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Bright, eager—and unwanted. While unemployment is ravaging just about every part of the global workforce, the most enduring harm is being done to young people who can't grab onto the first rung of the career ladder.

Affected are a range of young people, from high school dropouts, to college grads, to newly minted lawyers and MBAs across the developed world from Britain to Japan. One indication: In the U.S., the unemployment rate for 16- to 24-year-olds has climbed to more than 18%, from 13% a year ago.

For people just starting their careers, the damage may be deep and long-lasting, potentially creating a kind of "lost generation." Studies suggest that an extended period of youthful joblessness can significantly depress lifetime income as people get stuck in jobs that are beneath their capabilities, or come to be seen by employers as damaged goods.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co … 038302.htm
That'll teach young people to vote Democrat in the future. But seriously having a whole generation of young skilled people no doing anything with themselves is just terrible right? In any case, Phil is the most useless degree you can get in college.
Benzin
+576|5990
High school dropouts can't find jobs? What a surprise. I would like to see what kinds of degrees aren't landing people jobs.

I can believe that people with business and tech degrees are having a hard time, but someone with an art degree doesnt really have much room to bitch.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

CapnNismo wrote:

High school dropouts can't find jobs? What a surprise. I would like to see what kinds of degrees aren't landing people jobs.

I can believe that people with business and tech degrees are having a hard time, but someone with an art degree doesnt really have much room to bitch.
^this.

Kids are off "finding themselves" with their crappy degrees, then whine that they can't get a good job.
I mean, good job for doing what you want, but what you want may not be what other people want to pay you for.

I'd like to see some statistics for the tech/science/engineering degrees. I'm no 4.0 student (actually, I don't think I even have a 3.0), but I don't think I'll have too hard a time finding a job come January.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

Actually, graduates in most fields are finding it hard to get a job.  Those with very, very specific and specialized degrees are doing OK, but the market is tough for all college grads.  This is mostly due to the high number of layoffs that have occurred for people that not only have college degrees, but because they have experience to go along with it, making them more likely to be hired.

College students that had the best luck finding jobs are also those that held internships within their fields of study while attending school.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

mtb0minime wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

^this.

Kids are off "finding themselves" with their crappy degrees, then whine that they can't get a good job.
I mean, good job for doing what you want, but what you want may not be what other people want to pay you for.

I'd like to see some statistics for the tech/science/engineering degrees. I'm no 4.0 student (actually, I don't think I even have a 3.0), but I don't think I'll have too hard a time finding a job come January.
But math is hard
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_42/b4151032038302.htm
That'll teach young people to vote Democrat in the future. But seriously having a whole generation of young skilled people no doing anything with themselves is just terrible right? In any case, Phil is the most useless degree you can get in college.
Are you suuuuuuuure you're not a Republican?

Honestly, it's not like Democrats and Republicans are that much different once in office, despite how the statement suggests the current economic conundrum is the result of a single party/administration.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

DesertFox- wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_42/b4151032038302.htm
Are you suuuuuuuure you're not a Republican?

Honestly, it's not like Democrats and Republicans are that much different once in office, despite how the statement suggests the current economic conundrum is the result of a single party/administration.
It was a joke. Hence the But seriously afterward.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

Hey Macbeth, this should help you feel a little better.

Politico wrote:

Fresh from a humbling loss in last year’s presidential election, Sen. John McCain is working behind-the-scenes to reshape the Republican Party in his own center-right image.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/27832.html
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL
Corporations are desperate for engineers, hard work pays off in the end, no shit all those philosophy majors find themselves unemployable.
Benzin
+576|5990
There are jobs out there. I open the newspaper every day and see job ads, especially for technical jobs (at least here in Austria). People just need to get out there and do some ground pounding with their resumes.

Internships are also a great way to get a job. If you're a student and you're in your last year and don't have an internship, there better be a damned good reason.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

How much of this is due to the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that the generation under discussion grew up with? Are they now facing the harsh reality of life and not liking the fact that they have to compete? That not everyone gets a trophy in the real world?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

How much of this is due to the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that the generation under discussion grew up with? Are they now facing the harsh reality of life and not liking the fact that they have to compete? That not everyone gets a trophy in the real world?
I wouldn't say it's an "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. From my experience it's more a "who gives a fuck that shit will sort itself out" mentality. Not enough kids actually care about their education... until, of course, three weeks until finals.

Last edited by Spark (2009-10-13 04:28:48)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Spark wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I wouldn't say it's an "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. From my experience it's more a "who gives a fuck that shit will sort itself out" mentality. Not enough kids actually care about their education... until, of course, three weeks until finals.
And why would anyone give a fuck if everyone gets a trophy in the end (everything sorts itself out)?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Spark wrote:

"who gives a fuck that shit will sort itself out"
That is an oddly Australian attitude TBH, one I am working hard to get the hang of

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-10-13 05:19:17)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard