11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5237|Cleveland, Ohio

Dilbert_X wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

It has always amazed me that most jewish people in the United States tend to be supporters of the liberal agenda, which is made up of policies that have been nothing but harmful to them in the past.
Such as?
Most jews are fairly liberal and don't blindly support whatever extremists in Israel do, any more than muslims support AQ.
i dont think you understand what he is saying
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
I don't understand what he is saying, which is why I asked 'such as'.

So what is he saying?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

EVieira wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

well no i dont think there are many non jews in this country saying "yes, give my money to israel."
It has always amazed my how the jewish community is incredibly small in the US (a mere 1.7% of the pop, according to my source in the CIA), yet it has an immense power. I guess those 1.7% are well placed...
It has always amazed me that most jewish people in the United States tend to be supporters of the liberal agenda, which is made up of policies that have been nothing but harmful to them in the past.
It depends on what time period you're looking at.  To use WW2 as an example, Democrats were in support of the war, and it was mostly Republicans who were against it.  At the time, Democrats were somewhat socially conservative whereas Republicans were somewhat socially liberal.  However, Democrats were definitely economic liberals and Republicans were definitely economic conservatives like the way the parties are today.

Assuming you regard our involvement in WW2 as benefiting Jews, then the mostly liberal Democratic agenda was something that helped them.

However, it is true that social conservatism has a long history of antisemitism.  Social liberals were originally more supportive of Jews than social conservatives were, because the Protestant Christian agenda of social conservatism originally viewed Jews as the murderers of Jesus -- similar to the old Catholic perspective.

It wasn't until dispensationalism really dominated the evangelical community in the decades following WW2 that social conservatives became known for their support of Jews, and most of this is seemingly tied to their beliefs in the Rapture rather than a genuine affinity for Jews.

Social liberals didn't become that critical of Israel until things truly began to degenerate between Israelis and Palestinians.  By the end of the Six Day War, many liberals in the West America began to view Israel as an oppressive state.  While some of the criticism of Israel has been misguided when looking at the full context of the history between Israelis and Palestinians, there are plenty of legitimate qualms people have with them.

Granted, support for Palestinians and criticism of Israel do not equate to hating Jews.  Even plenty of American Jews support the creation of a Palestinian state while criticizing Israel.

EDIT: for accuracy

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-12-20 12:13:19)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6354

Dilbert_X wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Such as?
Most jews are fairly liberal and don't blindly support whatever extremists in Israel do, any more than muslims support AQ.
in my experience " Most Jews are fairly liberal and don't blindly support whatever extremists " unless it concerns Israel's well being. Even the Jews who live here seem to be loyal to Israel 1st. In my own experience. Hence the USS Liberty was never a household word, most Americans never heard of it. i Stumbled across it in Tony Herbert's book or I wouldn't know. Never really made the Network news. Ever wonder why ?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Social liberals didn't become that critical of Israel until things truly began to degenerate between Israelis and Palestinians.  By the end of the Six Day War, many liberals in the West began to view Israel as an oppressive state.  While some of the criticism of Israel has been misguided when looking at the full context of the history between Israelis and Palestinians, there are plenty of legitimate qualms people have with them.
That's not true at all. It goes back to the 30s and I can provide numerous examples of this if you need.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Social liberals didn't become that critical of Israel until things truly began to degenerate between Israelis and Palestinians.  By the end of the Six Day War, many liberals in the West began to view Israel as an oppressive state.  While some of the criticism of Israel has been misguided when looking at the full context of the history between Israelis and Palestinians, there are plenty of legitimate qualms people have with them.
That's not true at all. It goes back to the 30s and I can provide numerous examples of this if you need.
I'm not saying the Six Day War was the beginning of Israel's transgressions.  I'm saying the Six Day War was a significant turning point for public opinion regarding Israel -- at least in the context of American politics.

I'm not as well versed in how Europe views the situation, however.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'm not saying the Six Day War was the beginning of Israel's transgressions.  I'm saying the Six Day War was a significant turning point for public opinion regarding Israel -- at least in the context of American politics.

The terror attacks against British troops stationed there certainly didn't help public opinion towards Israel in the UK....

You might want to differentiate between the West and the US, because when it comes to Israel there is quite a gulf between the two.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

The terror attacks against British troops stationed there certainly didn't help public opinion towards Israel in the UK....

You might want to differentiate between the West and the US, because when it comes to Israel there is quite a gulf between the two.
Good point, I'll amend my previous post.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard