Lai
+186|6152

CapnNismo wrote:

Dude, you're talking about red wine? That's a fucking huge difference between soda and liquor. Be specific when you make a dumbass claim like that. Besides, it's not the alcohol doing shit for you so much as the anti oxidants that are in wine. What a twattish thing to say.

Who the hell doesn't consume alcohol by liters? You must be living in the USA. You go to a restaurant or a grocery store and buy beer by the half liter. Not this 12 oz BS in the US (0.33L, btw). Go to Bavaria. You buy what is called a Maß - that's an entire liter of beer. After one of those you can still legally drive in Bavaria.

But anything done in moderation is fine. That's why you have kidneys and a liver - to purge and clean the body of poisons and other useless things. Why else do people die if they don't have kidneys or livers? Because they can't clean their blood anymore (among other reasons). Shit, while you're on the subject, better get away from that computer and put the cell phone down. The EM radiation will probably give you cancer.
No one ever said anythong about liquor, we were talking about alcohol and every glass of wine, beer or spirits contains about as much alcohol as the other.

If you drink a liter or beer or even two, you are NOT drinking 'alcohol' by the liters, you are drinking beer by the liters. In the case of beer this is probably a bad thing, not because of the alcohol but because of the calories. However, the alcohol in one or two litres of beer, one or two glasses of wine, or one or two glasses of vodka, is less damaging to your system than the ammounts of sugar and acid in one or two glasses of Coca Cola.
Benzin
+576|6000
Are you retarded? Beer has alcohol in it and is classified as an alcoholic beverage. What the hell are you talking about "we were talking about alcohol and every glass of wine, beer or spirits contains about as much alcohol as the other"??? Are you even of the legal drinking age? Have you ever took the time to read what a bottle of wine, beer or Jack Daniels has written on it?

There's an important number call % per Volume. That means for a given volume (let's say 100ml), there is a certain amount of alcohol contained. So if you take 100ml of beer, you'll have on average 3-7% per Volume of alcohol, depending on what brand of beer you are drinking. For wine? 10-15%. Jack Daniels is 45% exact, iirc.

As far as the sugar in soda, do you know how alcohol is made? From sugar! Beer is made through malting, which requires sugar. Wine? Again, sugar. Liquor (which is simply a liquid that has a higher amount of alcohol versus beer or wine and can include the following: schnapps, vodka, whiskey, bourbon, cognac, etc) is again made with sugar. Alcohol IS a sugar.

The acids in many sodas are certainly harmful, but they're also diluted with soda water. The syrup is certainly some rough stuff, but then you mix it with soda water to give it the carbonation. Next time you go to McDonald's and it has a self service dispenser, watch the liquid come out. It's mixing itself at the nozzle using soda water and the syrup stored in the back of the store. It mixes right as it goes into your cup. But again, that's why the body has a liver and a pair of kidneys to clean that shit out of your body.

Again, in moderation sodas are just fine. If you're sucking back a larger amount of day then yes, you are going to run into health complications. Are we going to put in a tax on fried chicken, then? It's certainly fatty and filled with calories. Let's tax the Colonel and KFC, then. I'm sure PETA would be all for that one.

If you really want to post something and tout it as fact, make sure it is fact before you post it as such. You're making yourself just look dumb.
Benzin
+576|6000

Lai wrote:

But you generally don't consume alcohol in liters. That and beer is a bit of a tricky one.
BTW, if you live in Europe, you consume any form of alcohol in liters. Want to know why? Because all fluids are measured in liters! Geeze. In Russia, polishing off a bottle of vodka is a normal thing each night. In Austria or France, finishing off a bottle of wine alone with dinner by yourself is normal. In England or Ireland? No worries about lager or whiskey.

Go to a college party in the USA. It may be measured in fl oz. on the kegs, but OMG - YOU CAN MEASURE IT IN LITERS, TOO!!!

Last edited by CapnNismo (2009-10-10 06:25:23)

Lai
+186|6152

CapnNismo wrote:

Are you retarded? Beer has alcohol in it and is classified as an alcoholic beverage. What the hell are you talking about "we were talking about alcohol and every glass of wine, beer or spirits contains about as much alcohol as the other"??? Are you even of the legal drinking age? Have you ever took the time to read what a bottle of wine, beer or Jack Daniels has written on it?

There's an important number call % per Volume. That means for a given volume (let's say 100ml), there is a certain amount of alcohol contained. So if you take 100ml of beer, you'll have on average 3-7% per Volume of alcohol, depending on what brand of beer you are drinking. For wine? 10-15%. Jack Daniels is 45% exact, iirc.

As far as the sugar in soda, do you know how alcohol is made? From sugar! Beer is made through malting, which requires sugar. Wine? Again, sugar. Liquor (which is simply a liquid that has a higher amount of alcohol versus beer or wine and can include the following: schnapps, vodka, whiskey, bourbon, cognac, etc) is again made with sugar. Alcohol IS a sugar.

The acids in many sodas are certainly harmful, but they're also diluted with soda water. The syrup is certainly some rough stuff, but then you mix it with soda water to give it the carbonation. Next time you go to McDonald's and it has a self service dispenser, watch the liquid come out. It's mixing itself at the nozzle using soda water and the syrup stored in the back of the store. It mixes right as it goes into your cup. But again, that's why the body has a liver and a pair of kidneys to clean that shit out of your body.

Again, in moderation sodas are just fine. If you're sucking back a larger amount of day then yes, you are going to run into health complications. Are we going to put in a tax on fried chicken, then? It's certainly fatty and filled with calories. Let's tax the Colonel and KFC, then. I'm sure PETA would be all for that one.

If you really want to post something and tout it as fact, make sure it is fact before you post it as such. You're making yourself just look dumb.
ZOMFFFFFG!

Of course beer has alcohol in it, but relatively less than wine or spirits. The thing is a standard glass of vodka contains the same ammount of alcohol as a standard glass of beer. You still consume the same ammount of alcohol because a standard glass of beer has a larger volume. So if you want to reach a certain level of drunkness, you need a relatively small volume of vodka or a relatively large ammount of beer. So when you drink liters of beer, you are consuming liters of the liquid but far from liters of 'alcohol': you roughly have to divide the volume by a factor twenty (assuming an average percentage of 5%); whereas when you drink liters of Vodka (which can easily reach 50% or higher), you only have to divide the volume by a factor two. So when you'd consume liters of vodka, stating plural, you are actually by definition consuming liters of 'alcohol'.

Regarding the sugar: proper wine does not have any added sugar. Wine ferments through the natural sugars (dextrose) present in the juice extracted from the grapes, hence the natural sugar level and thus nature, of the grapes as well as the soil and temperature of the area it was cultivated in, is determining for the quality of the wine. The damaging potential of these natural sugar levels in alcoholic beverages can not be compared to adding several large spoons of industrial beet sugar to soda drinks, not mentioning the acidity levels of soda drinks.

Everything consumed in the appropriate relative moderation is harmless. The thing is it is quite common for people in Western developped countries to drink soda without any sense of moderation at all. While there may be a disturbing ammount of alcoholics on this planet, alcohol abuse is recognized as a problem and is no where near as accepted as copious consumption of soda.

Yes I have took the time to read some wine labels. The ones in my cellar say "Saint Emilion Grand Cru 2007, 13.5%". I don't know why I read them though as I picked them up personally at the chateau from a family that has bottled this particular cuvee for five fucking generations and is always more than happy to talk about their new harvest and to let me taste various vintages and their daughter's new 3000-bottles-only limite rose. The bottle of vodka I got from some friends, which I keep for a special occasion says "Беломорканал 40%".

CapnNismo wrote:

Lai wrote:

But you generally don't consume alcohol in liters. That and beer is a bit of a tricky one.
BTW, if you live in Europe, you consume any form of alcohol in liters. Want to know why? Because all fluids are measured in liters! Geeze. In Russia, polishing off a bottle of vodka is a normal thing each night. In Austria or France, finishing off a bottle of wine alone with dinner by yourself is normal. In England or Ireland? No worries about lager or whiskey.

Go to a college party in the USA. It may be measured in fl oz. on the kegs, but OMG - YOU CAN MEASURE IT IN LITERS, TOO!!!
First of all let me say that your remark about "liters" is an absolutely pathetic attempt at an argument, as I it was evident to anyone on this forum that this discussion is not about comparing the metric system with the the inch system.

That said, I've grown up in Holland and France, worked in Greece and Russia and am presently residing in Ireland: you are just so full of shit!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Lai wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

ZOMFFFFFG!

Of course beer has alcohol in it, but relatively less than wine or spirits. The thing is a standard glass of vodka contains the same ammount of alcohol as a standard glass of beer. You still consume the same ammount of alcohol because a standard glass of beer has a larger volume. So if you want to reach a certain level of drunkness, you need a relatively small volume of vodka or a relatively large ammount of beer. So when you drink liters of beer, you are consuming liters of the liquid but far from liters of 'alcohol': you roughly have to divide the volume by a factor twenty (assuming an average percentage of 5%); whereas when you drink liters of Vodka (which can easily reach 50% or higher), you only have to divide the volume by a factor two. So when you'd consume liters of vodka, stating plural, you are actually by definition consuming liters of 'alcohol'.

Regarding the sugar: proper wine does not have any added sugar. Wine ferments through the natural sugars (dextrose) present in the juice extracted from the grapes, hence the natural sugar level and thus nature, of the grapes as well as the soil and temperature of the area it was cultivated in, is determining for the quality of the wine. The damaging potential of these natural sugar levels in alcoholic beverages can not be compared to adding several large spoons of industrial beet sugar to soda drinks, not mentioning the acidity levels of soda drinks.

Everything consumed in the appropriate relative moderation is harmless. The thing is it is quite common for people in Western developped countries to drink soda without any sense of moderation at all. While there may be a disturbing ammount of alcoholics on this planet, alcohol abuse is recognized as a problem and is no where near as accepted as copious consumption of soda.

Yes I have took the time to read some wine labels. The ones in my cellar say "Saint Emilion Grand Cru 2007, 13.5%". I don't know why I read them though as I picked them up personally at the chateau from a family that has bottled this particular cuvee for five fucking generations and is always more than happy to talk about their new harvest and to let me taste various vintages and their daughter's new 3000-bottles-only limite rose. The bottle of vodka I got from some friends, which I keep for a special occasion says "Беломорканал 40%".

CapnNismo wrote:

Lai wrote:

First of all let me say that your remark about "liters" is an absolutely pathetic attempt at an argument, as I it was evident to anyone on this forum that this discussion is not about comparing the metric system with the the inch system.

That said, I've grown up in Holland and France, worked in Greece and Russia and am presently residing in Ireland: you are just so full of shit!
You're an idiot.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone
1. It's litre not liter you uneducated heathens.
2. Since when wasn't sugar 'natural'?
3. STFU
Lai
+186|6152

DrunkFace wrote:

1. It's litre not liter you uneducated heathens.
2. Since when wasn't sugar 'natural'?
3. STFU
Of course sugar is natural, but there is a chemical difference between sugar that occurs naturally in fruits and the cristaline substance acquired through the processing sugar beets.

Cybargs wrote:

You're an idiot.
You have nothing to contribute.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard