Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6665|NT, like Mick Dundee

Marconius wrote:

Olympics = economy boost for the area hosting the games along with quite a bit of job creation, plus gives a modicum of national identity and morale when held in your own country.  Definitely a worthy cause, especially for our economy this day in age.
Holy shit.

Holy fucking shit.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
Hey, it's Marc! Haven't seen him in a while.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Yeah because the Olympics is all about tv ratings... lmao
It is these days.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5995|Truthistan

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I said it would happen on a long enough time scale, not overnight, and not because we didn't get 2016. Go 20 years without us hosting an Olympic event and you'll see a drastic difference in the ratings, trust me.
Which according to you would lead the IOC to come begging to the US to host a game. I really can't see that happening.
Yep. Even if it doesn't happen, it's far better than wasting millions of dollars just to get your foot in the door at the IOC.
The old world aristocracy of the IOC is a real piss off... they are the vestiges of the old world that revolutionary guillotines missed. You only have to look at the 5 star++ treatment of the IOC members as they are wined and dined and have their collective dicks sucked to realize that the Olympics is a pile of shit. And the Olympics are not much more than as celebration of "star athletes" playing mediocre or failed sports, which if there were real money involved in those sports would attract really talented people and that would mean that these athletes would not even be competitive. I guess the biggest pile of crap about the Olympics was the whole amateur athlete thing, athletes can't make money but everyone else involved, including the host city and the IOC members make big bucks... its real BS IMO.

And then there is the whole trying to be hip and current by including x game type sports and what's with all the sychronized sports, I guess its to permit more corrupt judging... yawn.... "up next its sychronized motocross back flips" whatta joke.

I miss the old cold war days when the communist judges voted as a block and the west voted as a block and every olympics you would watch to see who would defect, and then there were the beastly east german women... now those were the days.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
The Olympics actually are very costly to the country/city that hosts them
http://www.time.com/time/business/artic … 05,00.html

They do get the spotlight on their town... but at a price
Love is the answer
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
And the Olympics are not much more than as celebration of "star athletes" playing mediocre or failed sports, which if there were real money involved in those sports would attract really talented people and that would mean that these athletes would not even be competitive. I guess the biggest pile of crap about the Olympics was the whole amateur athlete thing, athletes can't make money but everyone else involved, including the host city and the IOC members make big bucks... its real BS IMO.
yeah ok
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5995|Truthistan

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

The Olympics actually are very costly to the country/city that hosts them
http://www.time.com/time/business/artic … 05,00.html
Yes, but you can't include the cost of building infrastructure. After the olympics are gone, the infrastructure remains. Another way to look at it is that the olympics helps to subsize infrastrucutre improvements. Not to mention that hosting the games brings in money from other levels of govt so it does provide a boom to the city.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

JohnG@lt wrote:

I said it would happen on a long enough time scale, not overnight, and not because we didn't get 2016. Go 20 years without us hosting an Olympic event and you'll see a drastic difference in the ratings, trust me.
Then Americans must be a bunch of fickle stuck up arrogant selfish pricks. There are countries that haven't seen the Olympics in their home country for 60, 80 100 plus years or even ever yet still manage to watch their athletes perform.
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

Trust you?? Lol no thanks. This absurd statement is based on what, exactly, except your own ridiculous prejudices.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401
olympics are pretty much irrelevant.  this thread is just an excuse for some good ol america bashing...as demonstrated so well on this forum.

Last edited by Red Forman (2009-10-03 04:00:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard