MrMagoo
Not welcome @ BF2S
+12|5377
I saw him live. Had decent seats, was in the saungus arena in lowell, mass.
I had the opportunity to go onto the dance floor but didn't cus I didn't wanna get trampled. Music was really good, but I don't think he was actually producing it... I could be wrong though, but he did take a 5 minute piss break and music played while he was gone... so wtf? Oh and half the people their were on some crazy drugs. I went with my boss from work, and some chick grabbed onto his shoulder and though he was her boy friend, then her boy friend came and was like baby im over here. I laughed pretty hard. Also whilst waiting in line to enter some kid was extremely wasted and got taken away in an ambulance. Shit was pretty funny.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
Tiesto is a DJ. He doesn't produce whilst he's live on stage, rofl.

Also, wtf @ going to see a great trance DJ and buying seats.

So many things wrong with this thread.

Tiesto @ Privilege is one of the greatest moments of my clubbing life.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5395|Athens, GA
drugs are bad mmkay
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5687|Vancouver, BC, Canada
He's playing in Vancouver on my birthday, and I can't decide if I wanna go or not.

One of my best friends would only go if we get seats,
the other hates Tiesto.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6417|Amsterdam‫
seats @ tiesto?

this is how you see tiesto
https://www.metalbox.dreamhosters.com/IMG_0379.JPG
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6632|The Outer Circle

..the way to see him

btw.. lisa lashes > tiesto
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

No matter how much I dislike trance music and the crowds of complete morons it draws, the best rave I've been to was Tiesto at the LA Sports Arena back in '05. God that was so memorable and so epic and it was fucking amazing. He sunk way too much money into that show. (on a lol-sidenote: the show at DC later in the tour was canceled because they realized they wouldn't have enough setup time in the few hours after U2 was performing the night before, and the show in New Orleans was canceled because of some nasty weather lolhurricanes; think he had a few other stops but not sure how well those went).

I've since tried to relive nights like those, but raves these days suck terribly. At least around here. Last good one I went to was probably 3 or so years ago. Nowadays people are so coked out they don't know who's playing or what kind of music it is. You run into people from your hometown high school and say to them, "Hey, I didn't know you like electronic music." They say, "I don't! This shit fucking sucks! I'm just here for the drugs. Ecstasy is awesome!!"

Not that there's anything wrong with using drugs at a rave, but they're supposed to complement each other. It's like going to see The Notebook in a movie theater because you want to sit in a cushy chair for a few hours.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-10-03 16:08:20)

JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6296|England

MrMagoo wrote:

but I don't think he was actually producing it... I could be wrong though, but he did take a 5 minute piss break and music played while he was gone... so wtf?
I lol'd.

I dunno why you got seats dude. You don't go to these things to sit down.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5951|Toronto
Yeah, went to see him at the Bell centre in Montreal on Friday night. I managed to get in for $20 (selling price was $80)--effing awesome. Never been to such a good concert for such little money. Especially when Love Comes Again started playing, the crowd was great.
I like pie.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6417|Amsterdam‫

TSI wrote:

Yeah, went to see him at the Bell centre in Montreal on Friday night. I managed to get in for $20 (selling price was $80)--effing awesome. Never been to such a good concert for such little money. Especially when Love Comes Again started playing, the crowd was great.
free tbh
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6127|Vancouver | Canada
Does Tiesto actually do anything live?

From what I've seen in vids, all he does is just stand there dancing, while the audience worships him.

I wish I could have people worship me by doing absolutely fuck all.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6468

DefCon-17 wrote:

From what I've seen in vids, all he does is just stand there dancing, while the audience worships him.

become a mod.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Who?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6692|Sydney, Australia

DefCon-17 wrote:

Fool.

As uqizue stated, he is a DJ. Tiesto has a library of tracks from which to choose from. Each track has musical attributes such as BPM, melody, key.. all of which contribute to a particular mood or feel. It's his job to choose the tracks in response to the audience (so yes, in real time), steering them on a journey of euphoria for hours and hours. Getting past actually choosing them, he has to mix them together in such a way that the transition from track to track should be seamless. That is certainly not a walk in the park.

Unlike other styles associated with DJ'ing, he's not really playing two tracks off against each other all the time. Only during the transition from track to track. For the most part, the tracks are their own entity (which is what allowed him to go take a piss). That however doesn't preclude the DJ from changing the settings on the mixer, sampling other (say the next) track and introducing that into a particular track, etc, etc.

On top of this, there usually is an amazing light show to enhance the euphoria.

I'm seeing him in Sydney next year. January 30. 6 hours. Can't fucking wait.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

You can't really appreciate the skill of a DJ if you haven't tried it yourself.

Not to mention the countless hours that go into getting together a good library and finding stuff out there that no one else has heard of or that no other DJs play.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
MTB: I have two Technics and a Vestax. I've tried it.

mcminty wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

Fool.

As uqizue stated, he is a DJ. Tiesto has a library of tracks from which to choose from. Each track has musical attributes such as BPM, melody, key.. all of which contribute to a particular mood or feel. It's his job to choose the tracks in response to the audience (so yes, in real time), steering them on a journey of euphoria for hours and hours. Getting past actually choosing them, he has to mix them together in such a way that the transition from track to track should be seamless. That is certainly not a walk in the park.
That's called beatmixing. That's pretty much as basic as you can get in regards to DJing.

My mom taught me how to do that when I was 12. Her, my dad, and my uncle pretty much kick-started the club scene in Vancouver.

I'm not saying Tiesto is bad. I just don't think what he does requires a whole lot of hands-on talent.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2009-10-05 23:21:26)

TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5687|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, I'm trying to get some experience on a friend of mine's Decks, trying to listen to beats for the first time, and figuring out which track's drifting which way is incredibly hard(at first).

As far as Tiesto goes, I find that all his tracks sound eerily similar to one another...like I downloaded one of his 2 hour long concerts, and I was skipping in 5 minute intervals, and although there was some change, overall it just sounded the same most of the way through >.<
mcminty

DefCon-17 wrote:

That's called beatmixing. That's pretty much as basic as you can get in regards to DJing.
I know, it was just an example. Anyway, I think it's more how he interacts with the audience, and the shows as a whole, that make him so popular.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone

JakAttaK wrote:

MrMagoo wrote:

but I don't think he was actually producing it... I could be wrong though, but he did take a 5 minute piss break and music played while he was gone... so wtf?
I lol'd.

I dunno why you got seats dude. You don't go to these things to sit down.
VIP tbh
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

mcminty wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

I know, it was just an example. Anyway, I think it's more how he interacts with the audience, and the shows as a whole, that make him so popular.
25% of DJ'ing is the technical ability, expertise -- beatmatching, knowing your tricks, knowing how to fuck up with your EQ and FX to create good sounds.

75% is knowing how to read your audience and predict and deliver on what they want. That's the skill: being able to 'read' the dancefloor. It's a skill that Tiesto has pretty much mastered; whenever you go to see him live, whether or not you're a trance/euphoria/dance disciple, you'll still have an undeniably brilliant night of entertainment. I've DJ'd to small house-parties with < 50 people that have had more energy and enthusiasm than small clubs with > 250 people, simply because I picked the right tunes for the right people. In larger environments, it becomes incredibly hard to 'please' everyone. I definitely prefer playing for my friend's house-parties, just because I know their music-tastes almost as well as my own; I know the tracks that will be 'sing-alongs' and big hits, whereas all too often an amateur(ish) DJ will play a track that s/he loves at a club only to receive a mute, uninterested reception from the crowd. It's a hard knock to deal with, ego-wise when you're first starting out. That's why I just keep it as a hobby and small enjoyment... I have a lot of respect for people that DJ professionally, or for a living. It's a tough role, not as luxurious and party-happy as people always imagine.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
mcminty

Uzique wrote:

75% is knowing how to read your audience and predict and deliver on what they want. That's the skill: being able to 'read' the dancefloor. It's a skill that Tiesto has pretty much mastered; whenever you go to see him live, whether or not you're a trance/euphoria/dance disciple, you'll still have an undeniably brilliant night of entertainment. I've DJ'd to small house-parties with < 50 people that have had more energy and enthusiasm than small clubs with > 250 people, simply because I picked the right tunes for the right people. In larger environments, it becomes incredibly hard to 'please' everyone. I definitely prefer playing for my friend's house-parties, just because I know their music-tastes almost as well as my own; I know the tracks that will be 'sing-alongs' and big hits, whereas all too often an amateur(ish) DJ will play a track that s/he loves at a club only to receive a mute, uninterested reception from the crowd. It's a hard knock to deal with, ego-wise when you're first starting out. That's why I just keep it as a hobby and small enjoyment... I have a lot of respect for people that DJ professionally, or for a living. It's a tough role, not as luxurious and party-happy as people always imagine.
Thanks! That was my whole point!
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
I still don't see what's so amazing about standing on stage and displaying skills that every non-bedroom DJ should have mastered.

Those are good DJs ( /turntablists...guess they're on a different level, but still) to me.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Exactly what Uzique said.

Anyone can learn the technical side to it (i.e. beat-matching, etc.), but it takes talent and skill to make it an art. Much in the same way other forms of art are (anyone can press a button on a camera to take a picture, but it takes talent to make it an excellent photograph; anyone can hold a camcorder and press record, but it takes talent to make a film; and so on, and so on).
mcminty

DefCon-17 wrote:

I still don't see what's so amazing about standing on stage and displaying skills that every non-bedroom DJ should have mastered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C10oFt5TNZc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZxYP4Fcfk
Those are good DJs ( /turntablists...guess they're on a different level, but still) to me.
Yeah.. that is an entirely different game. Not only is the style of music completely different to trance.. but how long do they keep that up for? 10-15 minutes at most (one video said something about a "round", so I'm assuming some kind of competition)? When I see Tiesto, he'll be playing for 6 hours. To choose the right songs so that I'm entertained for 6 hours.. that's some skill..

Hell, being able to correctly read and play off an audience of 200,000 - 250,000 people should be good in anyone's books

LT.Victim
+1,175|6533|British Columbia, Canada

DefCon-17 wrote:

I still don't see what's so amazing about standing on stage and displaying skills that every non-bedroom DJ should have mastered
I think its the fact that Tiesto is playing his own music.

Sure, alot of DJ's can mix two tracks together to keep the music going non-stop, but they can't produce the actual music itself.

Tiesto is a producer first, DJ second.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard