Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6722

FEOS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Whatever Rosetta Stone provides, my friend.

tbh, I've always had quite an interest in Chinese culture...even more so since we adopted our daughter.
Chinese culture today is more post revolutionary stuff... If you want to look at a lot of traditional shit, Taiwanese is the way to look because we didn't have the whole cultural revolution.
It takes more than a few decades to change several millenia of culture.
Business mindset is still pretty much the same. A lot of the core shit is still there especially regards to the importance of family.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6671|NT, like Mick Dundee

FEOS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Whatever Rosetta Stone provides, my friend.

tbh, I've always had quite an interest in Chinese culture...even more so since we adopted our daughter.
Chinese culture today is more post revolutionary stuff... If you want to look at a lot of traditional shit, Taiwanese is the way to look because we didn't have the whole cultural revolution.
Did you know that the section of the 'Great Wall' that most tourists visit today near Bejing is a rebuilt section? It was rebuilt by Mao's government as a new symbol for the communist state. The bulk of the so called 'Great Wall' is a myriad of fortress and wall fortification systems used to annex and or subjugate vast areas of land previously controlled by nomadic tribes. Most of what's left of the old walls erected by various dynasties is very hard to spot from a distance, if it even survived this long.

Did you know that prior to the communist revolution the Great Wall of China (called the Long Wall by most Chinese before exposure to Europeans, along with a few other names) was generally viewed as a symbol of the worst excesses of despotism by various Imperial dynasties? The first people to use the name the Great Wall were Westerners.

You'd be surprised at how much of the disparate and varied culture of China has been warped and amalgamated by the reign of the communists.

'The Great Wall: China Against the World, 1000 BC - AD 2000' provides an excellent introduction. I didn't get to finish it though (was working away from home for an extended period). Might have to go borrow it again.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-10-01 05:24:24)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6417|'Murka

Flecco wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Did you know that the section of the 'Great Wall' that most tourists visit today near Bejing is a rebuilt section? It was rebuilt by Mao's government as a new symbol for the communist state. The bulk of the so called 'Great Wall' is a myriad of fortress and wall fortification systems used to annex and or subjugate vast areas of land previously controlled by nomadic tribes. Most of what's left of the old walls erected by various dynasties is very hard to spot from a distance, if it even survived this long.

Did you know that prior to the communist revolution the Great Wall of China (called the Long Wall by most Chinese before exposure to Europeans, along with a few other names) was generally viewed as a symbol of the worst excesses of despotism by various Imperial dynasties? The first people to use the name the Great Wall were Westerners.

You'd be surprised at how much of the disparate and varied culture of China has been warped and amalgamated by the reign of the communists.

'The Great Wall: China Against the World, 1000 BC - AD 2000' provides an excellent introduction. I didn't get to finish it though (was working away from home for an extended period). Might have to go borrow it again.
Actually, the Great Wall was the furthest thing from my mind when I was talking about culture re China. Cybargs seemed to get what I was talking about.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6671|NT, like Mick Dundee

Was just an example of how much a concerted effort by the government can change things.

As I said, 100 years ago the Great Wall was a despised and mostly forgotten relic of the past. Now it's one of the major symbols of China.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6722

Flecco wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

called the Long Wall by most Chinese before exposure to Europeans, along with a few other names
Most common one was "Ten thousand kilometer wall"
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard