Benzin
+576|6000
Any members here that are Freemasons? I have a few questions that I would like to ask about membership.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6131|Carnoustie MASSIF

you mean these guys?
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6327|England
What is a Freemason?
CammRobb
Banned

JakAttaK wrote:

What is a Freemason?
post #2
Benzin
+576|6000

CammRobb wrote:

JakAttaK wrote:

What is a Freemason?
post #2
ignore that video ...
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
But really, what exactly are they anyway. I can't be arsed reading a 10,000 word wiki article or something
CammRobb
Banned
Mek, I'm pretty sure it's some kind of cult. Think the Stonecutters in the Simpsons.
13rin
+977|6480
I've got the application.  I've got one mason's sig.  I need another.  Then there's a background investigation.  Then initiation. 

The history channel did a show on them.  The mason told me that some of it is true, so of it isn't.  He remarked that there are several similarities in how US gov (chamber procedure and decorum) in how the masons operate.

*edit:  He said that it is all about taking someone and making them better.  Also I remember they are big Christian fans, but having a higher power is important to them.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2009-09-25 05:28:49)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

DBBrinson1 wrote:

I've got the application.  I've got one mason's sig.  I need another.  Then there's a background investigation.  Then initiation. 

The history channel did a show on them.  The mason told me that some of it is true, so of it isn't.  He remarked that there are several similarities in how US gov (chamber procedure and decorum) in how the masons operate.
I take it you're trying to join then? What do you actually do in the club, drink beer and participate in homoerotic games?
13rin
+977|6480

ghettoperson wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

I take it you're trying to join then? What do you actually do in the club, drink beer and participate in homoerotic games?
no thats bf2s.com

*edit
That would be more of the shriners...  Which you have to be a mason first.  I think it is more of a community service make connections club.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2009-09-25 05:31:01)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Heh, but prior to being a member, do you actually get to do anything Freemasonish? Or you're only allowed in once you're a full member?
13rin
+977|6480

ghettoperson wrote:

Heh, but prior to being a member, do you actually get to do anything Freemasonish? Or you're only allowed in once you're a full member?
Honestly, I dunno.  The big reason I'm considering it is because I want to be in parades driving the little go cart cars wearing a Fez.  Apparently those guys are shriners.  In order to be a shriner, ya gotta be a mason.

*edit
They're world wide.  I'd bet you've got a local chapter nearby.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2009-09-25 05:34:03)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

DBBrinson1 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

The big reason I'm considering it is because I want to be in parades driving the little go cart cars wearing a Fez.

That's awesome. Plus you'll now be able to assist in ruling the world.
Benzin
+576|6000
Brinson, how old are you? Have you already looked into joining your local lodge?

I need to finish putting together my letter saying why I want to join and rewrite my resume (just need to clean it up) and then I am going to mail mine off. No idea what the age requirements for the Grand Lodge of Austria are (if any). I was told to simply mail them a letter why I want to join and a resume.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Maybe I'll join when I graduate. It looks like a great opportunity to wear suits and drink champagne.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6448|Boulder, CO
There's a masonic lodge in my town centre, pretty impressive building really. If my grandfather were still alive i'd ask him as he was a member but if you have any pressing questions then forward them to me and i'll ask my grandmother later today.

They seem to just be a social networking society that does occasional good deeds to improve society but its mostly just about furthering yourself really.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

CapnNismo wrote:

Brinson, how old are you? Have you already looked into joining your local lodge?

I need to finish putting together my letter saying why I want to join and rewrite my resume (just need to clean it up) and then I am going to mail mine off. No idea what the age requirements for the Grand Lodge of Austria are (if any). I was told to simply mail them a letter why I want to join and a resume.
You can't apply to be a freemason, you have to be recommended by two members or you'll never get in ...

It's basically a favors club, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours ...

Edit: Like Noobeater mentioned most of what they do is to develop yourself as a good human being.
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

I'm sure one of my uncles is one of them, I've been told that at any rate.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

I know one of my uncles was a Stonemason. Nice guy.

He has passed away, but has some Mason symbolism written on his tombstone. Was always very secretive about the whole thing when he was alive though.

Apparently they believe in secret underwear and all sorts of weird stuff though...
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

AussieReaper wrote:

He has passed away, but has some Mason symbolism written on his tombstone. Was always very secretive about the whole thing when he was alive though.

Apparently they believe in secret underwear and all sorts of weird stuff though...
Secret underwear? ... that's new to me
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
My father is a member.

They do charity work mostly. Of course there are parties and meetings to maintain the lodge and its social structure, but the benefit of others is their stated concern. There is a lot of back-scratching and such, but that will happen in any tight knit club. One of the strictest rules I do know about is not being aloud to talk about politics or religion at meetings. It's not meant to be a get ahead in life kind of thing.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Varegg wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Secret underwear? ... that's new to me
I think it's kind of like the Mormon underwear. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

13/f/taiwan
+940|5700

Pochsy wrote:

My father is a member.

They do charity work mostly. Of course there are parties and meetings to maintain the lodge and its social structure, but the benefit of others is their stated concern. There is a lot of back-scratching and such, but that will happen in any tight knit club. One of the strictest rules I do know about is not being aloud to talk about politics or religion at meetings. It's not meant to be a get ahead in life kind of thing.
Does your father ever have to deal with parking tickets/getting his car towed? And does he always make it to the front of some of the longest lines sometimes?
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

12/f/taiwan wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

My father is a member.

Does your father ever have to deal with parking tickets/getting his car towed? And does he always make it to the front of some of the longest lines sometimes?
He sees the chiropractor for free once a week because he's also a member. There's also been a turkey sent to us each thanksgiving from the Master Mason in our region each year for as long as I've been alive. I think my dad is a 2nd degree mason, but I could be wrong- he doesn't wan to talk to me about it until I join after University.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard