uziq
+492|3448
the iphones do not have different loads. they have the same innards. minor changes in (extremely low voltage) RAM and trivial differences in core clocks, if that. all the iphones of each generation have the same basic internals. the difference is the size of the screens and the size of the batteries powering them. actually, the larger screens in the expensive iphones up til now have used more battery-efficient technology than the older tech driving the smaller screens.

but your analogy is dumb. you are comparing two phones with a 30% size difference. the batteries in the large iphones are dramatically larger than the mini ones. so you get a longer battery life. they have already engineered and tweaked the hell out of the smaller iphones to get as much juice as possible.

from a product design point-of-view, it makes perfect sense that the most expensive handsets will last longer than than entry-level ones. what the fuck even is this discussion?

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-11 02:56:50)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I'd like to add that people buy outdated tech all the time at or above MSRP. Video cards, a really infamous example. What would be the defining difference between buying a new phone and a slightly less new phone for roughly the same amount? Both of them will be obsolete or near by the time you open the box. Tech moves fast, onto the next MacGuffin. Two or three years after the fact are you really going to care about or remember why you chose the Samsung 15 over the 14? By then, the 16 and its hundred variants will already be on its way out.

So it's not really the height of stupidity so much as having bigger fish to fry, imo.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-11 18:37:56)

uziq
+492|3448
buying an older iphone with an appreciably worse battery life and 4g rather than 5g is just a dumb purchase in every way.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

TBH I phased through most of the content on this last page. I guess I'm feeling rather meh about a lot of that stuff.

There's so much to unpack. Is Dilbert going to do anything on a phone that particularly requires a step up from 4G? What's the coverage like in his area? How important is long-lasting battery life to him? How important is the money? Are there any swap-up deals to be had?

6G expected by maybe the turn of the decade, unless they decide to play with the sequencing and call it 5G 2.0 or just G. Availability will probably coincide with a new edition of Skyrim. People will be arguing over whether they need to replace 5G when they mostly look at pictures of cats.
uziq
+492|3448
okay, great move. buy a 4g phone now that 5g is available because, hey, 6g will be available in 2030. let's skip the 5g decade!

we are talking about a receiver bandwidth chip. just get the fucking latest one, it's really not a hill worth dying on. having super fast transfer speeds when in public is nice for any number of reasons. in 4 years time when everyone is uploading all that 4K/60fps video footage from their latest-gen phones to youtube, i'm sure it'll be great having to view everything on a 3g/4g receiver.

why would you commit yourself to a 'new' phone for the next 5/6 years that uses the last generation of technology? for the sake of, what, a $200 saving today by going out your way to buy the last generation of iphone? in which you'll also be committing to smaller hard-drive capacity ... a far worse battery ... a worse screen ... a worse camera ... a worse phone in every way.

a device you will use every day for the next 5 years. and you're going to buy the old version to save $200. lol ok. maketh perfect sense.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

buying an older iphone with an appreciably worse battery life and 4g rather than 5g is just a dumb purchase in every way.
Or it might just be fine for what I need or the next 4-5 years and save me half the price.

Bigger phones do have bigger batteries, but also bigger screens, more gizmos - do I really need 3-axis accelerometers, gyros, 6 cameras etc?

okay, great move. buy a 4g phone now that 5g is available because, hey, 6g will be available in 2030. let's skip the 5g decade!
But I thought skipping a product lifecycle was your policy?

It seems 4G is here for the next ten years, and as people migrate to 5G bandwidth will actually be freed up.

The higher the Gs the shorter the range typically. 3G was well covered in the outback, 4G only a fraction of phones were outback rated, 5G seems no iphones at all are country rated.
I'm sure its great for city folk to download their cat videos and upload their reactions 5ms faster but I need a phone with reasonable battery life for actually calling people and if there's no signal I can't.

Maybe I'll treat myself to a reasonable full size phone, turn off 5G and enjoy awesome battery longevity.
Its just annoying to have to pay double for that.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

@zeek - I don't know where you got the idea that I said buy 4G because 6G is coming out in 2030. I even mentioned it as the 5G successor, or in whatever marketing form all that stuff will take. Maybe step out of combat mode for half a second. Similar arguments (gen vs. +1 increment) have been made for/against tech here in the past, in terms of "what are you really going to do with this thing." The monetary difference should be chump change to an engineer. Whether or not Dilbert saves $200 is utterly inconsequential to me. Has this really taken up a whole page?

On a personal level, I feel disenchanted with gigantic smartphones. My work phone feels like a large, awkward slab of glass in my pocket when I don't have it on my belt, (also not an ideal solution). I would've been chuffed with a flip phone, but whatever. This thing can sit unplugged for the longest time without dropping below half charge (easily its nicest feature for me, when it isn't randomly buzzing or chirping every few days in spite of the cursory job I did of disabling system notifications).

Will probably use it until it gets bricked.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-12 00:22:30)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its basically annoying that I have to pay ~$500 extra for reasonable battery life, and be lumbered with a huge phone.
uziq
+492|3448
the mini has a 'reasonable' battery life, especially for your use-case. you even said yourself you're not a power user. why do you need a giant phablet-sized phone with a 30-hour battery life? are you going out deep into the australian bush for days at a time, where you'll be watching oodles of movies from your device? you don't need the big phone.

the 13 mini has drastically improved battery life over the 12 mini. it was everyone's main complaint with the previous small form-factor iphone: it was a return to previous 'small phone' battery lives. that's because there is a theoretical maximum limit to the battery life of the tiny batteries that go into the smaller phones. duh. by all accounts it seems trying to maximize the battery capacity of the new 13 was their main aim in revising the phone and releasing a new model; they went at it via the route of maximizing the efficiency of their latest apple processor, as there's not much more to be done with the constraints of the battery tech itself.

the current 13 mini gives a 12+ hour plus battery life under heavy use. that's already an order of magnitude better than any previous 'small' smartphone you may have used ... including the first, say, 7-8 generations of iphone. did you find use of them a daily challenge because of their battery lives? no. we have just become accustomed to giant battery charges now, that's all.

unfortunately, if you do want a return to the smaller phones of yore (as i indeed did and do), then you'll have to accept that the 30+ hour, multiple-day battery lives we have become accustomed to with the giant phones has to go, too. you have to compromise when the battery is being physically downsized by 30%. 'why couldn't they just engineer them to have the same battery life?' you ask. are you stupid?

it's pretty exasperating that an engineer needs to have phone tech specs basics explained to him.

on the plus side, unlike smartphone tech and accessories of, say, 10 years ago, where a short battery life really meant a short battery life, today we have a host of solutions to boost the phone's daily longevity. you can get power packs and battery extenders. the iphones even have case-sized ones that attach to the back of your phone or otherwise can be thrown in a backpack. we now have wireless charging, including a host of desktop-charging ports and accessories. it's not like a 12-20 hour battery is a life sentence anymore. if you're going to be sat at a desk for a few hours a day, or, say, in a car with a lighter port, or in a public place with a wireless charging area ... you can handily top-up your phone's daily juice without it inconveniencing you. very rarely are you going to need a full 12+ hours of heavy use without any access to a USB cable or wireless dock.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-12 00:36:51)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

What if you're like Chuck McGill from Better Call Saul?

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its exasperating that apple don't just make the phones a bit thicker so they can get more battery in and they don't bend when you sit on them.

Relevant
https://i.imgur.com/hV9x8nc.jpg

14% doesn't really fit my engineer definition of "drastically" but there's a clear benefit to turning off 5G which no doubt applies to the mini too.

Seems like 5G is fairly useless and likely to be for a while

https://i.imgur.com/7FdnC8Y.jpg

are you going out deep into the australian bush for days at a time, where you'll be watching oodles of movies from your device? you don't need the big phone
You don't know me.
uziq
+492|3448
if you're really interested in maximizing battery efficiencies, yes, you can turn off 5G if you're not using it ... but it's a nice option to have when you're in an urban centre, and it will undoubtedly be used more and more in the next 5/6 years. why does this have to be explained to you?

technically, the top-end iphones have a variable refresh rate on their screens, and turns down the display rate to much lower Hz depending on what you're doing. that gives you longer battery life too! so looks like you've got to buy the maxed-out 13 pro, because milking that extra 5% of battery life is such a priority to you.

Its exasperating that apple don't just make the phones a bit thicker so they can get more battery in and they don't bend when you sit on them.
they did. the current generation of phones are marginally thicker than the last ones. i'm pretty sure they know product design better than you, considering they've been industry leaders in the phone market for over a decade now.

the mini's main selling point is it packs top-end cameras/processors/functionality in the weight/size of a 1990s pre-smartphone. they are genuinely a huge design win, imo, and one of the best smartphones ever made. why make a phone heavy, bulky, big, etc, for battery headroom that you'll never use anyway? dumb. i'd rather have a lightweight, small phone every day and a battery that is actually perfectly suitable to my needs.

apple designed the mini understanding perfectly well, from oodles of customer data, that, actually, their average users aren't going for 20+ hours without recharging their phones. the sense of having a low battery is partly psychological, i'd wager. phablet users get used to seeing their battery at 50%+ all day and are alarmed when the mini phones' batteries actually get used on a daily basis. if you need the extra-extended battery, buy an extender pack for $100-150. it's stilll much cheaper than the giant phones and you won't be carrying around a heavy brick all the time for that rare occasion when you actually need a long battery life. win/win, no?

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-12 00:53:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why can't the world just be the way I want it?
uziq
+492|3448
it's tough leaving the maternal nest, i know. most human beings encounter this lesson in late adolescence.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

These points: what will dilbert mostly be using their phone for, and what coverage can he expect where he lives/works, I'd already made in my second post. Seems quite reasonable to take into consideration. If he can't regularly use 5G, then there's really no point in a buying decision hinging on that.

Regardless of my first posts dismissiveness of tech iterations, it might be worth waiting for some of the iphone 14 (2022?) rumors to be confirmed. The Snapdragon in particular appears to be a juicy potential upgrade.

From qualcomm's pdf blurb:

Leading power efficiency

Combines the power efficiency benefits of a 4 nm process with new Release 16 power-saving features and a tightly integrated1 modem-RF system, delivering superior power efficiency and all-day battery life.2

1 OEMs have flexibility to choose RF components.
2 Battery life varies significantly based on device, settings, usage, and other factors.
May be helpful for people looking to squeeze every last bit of life into their phone's power (keeping in mind that you probably don't want your battery at 100% all the time). As zeek points out, there are of course many ways to improve this outside of the phone. Wireless charging (as convenient as just leaving your phone on the desk), battery packs, vehicle adaptors all very convenient. IMO anyone toting around expensive mobile devices along on car trips should invest in a feature-rich inverter for their road kit. Dilbert could even take a solar panel out for camping with the redbacks and crocodiles.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-12 12:58:51)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America

Dilbert_X wrote:

Relevant
https://i.imgur.com/hV9x8nc.jpg
What is the basis for these numbers? I had to get an iPhone 12 for work, and while I don't use it nearly as much as my personal Samsung, I do only have to charge it 1-2 times a week.

I dunno if you're one of those people who is always streaming things to their phone or what, but this whole discussion seems a bit histrionic.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I think dilbert wants to download videos of cats and then stream his reactions.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
I hooked up a plasma T.V. to my PC through the HDMI port on the 3080. I can run the T.V. and my three monitors all at once.

https://i.imgur.com/QfwCrMK.png
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3448
TV’s are not hard to run off a GPU… i can daisy-chain 2-3 monitors off my macbook pro ffs.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DesertFox- wrote:

What is the basis for these numbers?
Some generic stress test equivalent to heavy continuous use.
uziq
+492|3448
as i said in my first post, unless you're going to be playing games and watching HD movies off your phone on a daily basis, you really have absolutely no reason to kvetch about battery life in 2022. all batteries are going to be decent. if you can plug your phone onto a charging dock once every few days, you will surely be fine.

they have low-battery modes in their iOS, the ability to shutdown nonessential processes, revert from 5G to 4G, etc. if you are really worried about battery life. most days when i'm out for a long hike or socializing, i.e. not looking at my phone constantly, i put it into low-power mode and don't worry about it. i don't exactly need all my apps checking for notifications 24/7 when i'm on a mountainside.

i have never had occasion to worry about the battery life of the 13 mini. i would much rather take a battery extender block with me on a long day out/weekend away than buy the fucking huge version of the same phone for the added battery capacity. that's dumb. almost as dumb as purposefully buying a 4G phone in 2022 so that you'll save $15 on the different chipset.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Great advice, I'll get a 12 or 13 mini and a battery pack - I have the double sided tape already

I wanted the 4G to save about $400 on the purchase price.
uziq
+492|3448
"great advice".

it's almost like product design experts ... have thought this through much better than you.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61FNBRcvnhL._AC_SS450_.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7HgyKKlAZ-k/maxresdefault.jpg

the wireless/magnetic apple one fits almost perfectly within the form of the 13 mini. for the rare occasions when you'll need it. it probably even increases your palm grip on the much smaller phone, if you want to be totally pedantic about it.

I wanted the 4G to save about $400 on the purchase price.
yeah ... you're also buying a MUCH worse battery, a worse screen, worse cameras, less hard-drive space, a slower and already 3-year-old processor ... amazing saving for a 5-year investment, chap. the reasons the two models are different prices isn't because of the 4G/5G aspect. the cost of these receivers is about as much as the cost of updating the wifi protocol in your laptop's onboard chip, i.e. marginal. $5-15 cost price, i'd imagine.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-13 01:36:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So how does the power go through the magnets?
uziq
+492|3448
bill nye the science guy told me how magnets work.

the more pertinent question is why are you being so obstinate over a simple purchasing decision? 'wah i want big battery life in a small phone ... but wow adding a battery pack to my tiny phone is so laborious ... why can't apple engineers magically make a tiny battery have as much life as the really big one?'

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard