uziq
+492|3451
well, pointing to gaming platforms/launch software as an appeal to how efficient anti-virus suites are seems to me uniquely misguided.

i don't keep steam or the EA launcher or whatever-the-fuck open when i'm not playing games. they are teh suck.

i'm willing to believe that there's a good software client buried somewhere deep in steam, say it's ca. 2007 iteration, when it was slate green/grey and focussed on doing its job properly. just as there's no doubt very good anti-virus/malware clients out there, which are similarly streamlined. that's why i use the aforementioned malwarebytes and drop all the 'passive', 24/7 'protection' shit.

norton, mcaffee, etc, brought with them so many problems with networking and driver/software compatibility. i remember any number of games would graphically shit the bed, or multiplayer clients not work, or systems flat-out BSOD'ing because of a dumb anti-virus client that was messing with IRQ calls or whatever. like anyone really needs that sort of headache to make sure that w32.trojan they picked up from that dodgy free downloads website won't scrape their facebook log-in password.

Last edited by uziq (2022-03-18 03:21:43)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Only very occasionally had trouble with Norton, and that was due to updates which were soon patched.

I need something which is better than nothing and will run unobtrusively on multiple machines and hopefully catch something unwanted if it ever happens.
Most of the annoying stuff is turned off.

McAfee by comparison has generally been horrible, came default with the build and uninstalled right away but still screwed something and locked various machines on its free expiry date.

Probably I should look at something else but I have plenty of other things to be doing.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-03-18 03:39:56)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Suggestions:
- make sure drivers are the most up-to-date, but more importantly correct ones. windows update seems to sometimes brick old rigs with an updated driver sourced from the sticky bottom of a dumpster, totally not the right thing. also be careful with driver updaters, although you can sometimes use them to fix damage caused by whatever garbage windows insists you need.
- memtest86 (some mobos I think have this bundled).
- in bios, make sure your timings and frequencies are set to spec.
- pop the sticks and make sure your motherboard's make/model lists the sticks' make/model on the ram mfg's qvl list (although if it's a new issue this is probably an unnecessary step). while you're at it, dust the innards of your PC, but don't blow any dust into the ram slots. don't tilt the can. if you use an air compressor, make sure you have a reliable way to trap the moisture.
- run windows in safe mode and try to replicate the crash if it's predictable.
- try unplugging non-critical hardware and see if you can replicate the crash.
- get a screenshot, photo, or dump of the crash and look it up on a help site.

Without more information it's hard to verify that Norton is what's causing issues. But if the crashes are predictable and easy to replicate, that should be easy to test. Sometimes one problem can masquerade as another.
Well its all default original Dell so I'm sure its all compatible, set to spec etc, prob just age or dust.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and seems to generally memory or driver.

Not really worth attempting to replicate as its very occasional.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

uziq wrote:

well, pointing to gaming platforms/launch software as an appeal to how efficient anti-virus suites are seems to me uniquely misguided.

i don't keep steam or the EA launcher or whatever-the-fuck open when i'm not playing games. they are teh suck.

i'm willing to believe that there's a good software client buried somewhere deep in steam, say it's ca. 2007 iteration, when it was slate green/grey and focussed on doing its job properly. just as there's no doubt very good anti-virus/malware clients out there, which are similarly streamlined. that's why i use the aforementioned malwarebytes and drop all the 'passive', 24/7 'protection' shit.

norton, mcaffee, etc, brought with them so many problems with networking and driver/software compatibility. i remember any number of games would graphically shit the bed, or multiplayer clients not work, or systems flat-out BSOD'ing because of a dumb anti-virus client that was messing with IRQ calls or whatever. like anyone really needs that sort of headache to make sure that w32.trojan they picked up from that dodgy free downloads website won't scrape their facebook log-in password.
Except, er, I didn't make an appeal to "how efficient they were" based on how inefficient other software is. It was more to point out that the bloat suites weren't alone in all this. Not taking up as much RAM as Steam or notorious Chrome with double digits of open tabs, not a very high bar.

Steam could be great, I agree. What's funny is a lot of the features run way better on a web browser than they do on the client. Try browsing screenshots and compare the two. It's hilarious.

EA's Origin feels way more streamlined than Steam. I don't have any problems with it, but I don't keep it open as often. My library there is not vast, and some of the games I have on Steam will just open it automatically.

The modern experience with an AV checking a downloaded file should just it be asking if you want to run anyway. Much like Microsoft does with some stuff. We've moved past a lot of the early BS. BS has modernized.

I'd like to once again point out that for most users, MSE as your first line of Windows defense is going to be perfectly fine. I am not trying to upsell all-in-wonder suites at all. Chortling at someone for running one in the age of computers with 16GB+ RAM and SSDs for days feels rather 2004. I can totally understand someone just wanting to install one thing for a year and not have to bother with monthly manual maintenances. For this, Norton is fine.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Page file number bsod, you'll want to check memory, drivers, and maybe run a chkdsk repair. Basically stuff I mentioned before. Try and reproduce (crash) in safe mode. If it doesn't occur, points to drivers as a likely cause. See what Dell has on their website for updated drivers for that PC model (if still the same relevant hardware). If they don't have them for your current OS, refer to hardware-specific mfg site as a backup source. Best worse-case scenario, run a repair installation for Windows.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-03-18 04:23:10)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Youtube now has YouTube shorts. Basically TikToks. Facebook/Instagram also has their version.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HMqeM8TJ36I[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HMqeM8TJ36I

Youtube is probably going to change a lot now. Not for the better. I have nothing against TikTok.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I noticed this, but didn't want to bring it up. A very pointless feature on desktop youtube viewing. Reduced controls that you can only get back by tweaking the url in the address bar. Lots of vertical video. Just what I want to spend time doing. Having to manually get back into normal youtube video view only to watching a tiny widescreen video placed in the middle of a blank vertical video, placed in the middle of another blank horizontal video.

It's probably nice on phone, but I don't do much with my phone.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I won't click any video with the Youtube Shorts symbol. I feel like that and TikTok is like watching the Infinite Jest
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

YouTube shorts have been a thing for at least a year...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I didn't really notice when they premiered. I've just been getting an increasing amount of links to it in social media, and feel rather meh about the content.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
How to do some tech support on a Windows 11 computer. I really don't like the icons, buttons, etc.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Fuck Google News slipping April Fool's jokes into my news feed.
uziq
+492|3451
april fool’s are just so pre-9/11. didn’t google get the RSS notification about the ~vibe change~? we don’t have to pretend that nerds can be funny or socially acceptable anymore. ‘lol a wi-fi service that is delivered via the toilet!’. go to Mars already and harvest rocks.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-01 14:50:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

They can't keep getting away with this.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Another April Fool's article Google dumped into my feed.

https://www.disneydining.com/disney-to- … tives-bb1/

"Disney to scrap all remakes beginning May 1, citing newly-discovered clause in Walt’s final directives"

Newbie wrote:

It should be obvious that it is fake news...
It shouldn't be coming across my desk period.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Just set a reminder to turn all your shit off on April 1. If I want that stuff I'll read The Onion.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which iphone should I buy?

Seems battery life is a linear function of price, which is annoying as you'd think the high performance versions would suck more power.
https://www.laptopmag.com/au/best-picks … ttery-life

I couldn't really give a crap about 5G and if 4G is working I'll probably turn 5G off.

Ideally should last 5-6 years without becoming incompatible with something, I guess it'll need 5G for that reason, I rarely upgrade the OS and its not caused a problem so far but I guess it shouldn't be out of date at the start.

Mini size would match my 6S and thats good enough for me.
uziq
+492|3451
Seems battery life is a linear function of price, which is annoying as you'd think the high performance versions would suck more power.
lmao, you're really some engineer.

the more expensive phones are bigger. they have bigger screens, more cameras, more storage space.

bigger batteries last longer.

apple have already guaranteed legacy software support to all of their devices to way past 5-6 years. it would be prudent to buy a 5g-ready phone now, yes. the current mini has a decent battery if you're an average phone user and not watching videos/playing games on it every day. it'll last all day/night without a charge. but, surprisingly, it's battery won't last as long as a phone with a battery that is physically 30% bigger.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-11 02:33:35)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You'd think they'd be engineered to have equal battery life.
uziq
+492|3451
how do you engineer equal battery life in vastly different-sized batteries, you absolute derpsicle?

it seems covid really has fatally affected your brain.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-11 02:49:27)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
12mini or 13mini? Both seem a bit expensive TBH, maybe an SE 3rd gen would get me by - except it doesn't have 4G so battery drain will be unnecessarily high. An SE would keep me going, it seems 4G has at least another 8 years to run.
uziq
+492|3451
dilbert: i just donated $200 to a charity to flex on an internet forum with 3 readers.
also dilbert: wahhhgh the $750 device that will last me the next 6 years is expensive.

let me guess: you're hesitant about 5G devices because wE dnT knOw the loNgtErm conSeQuenCes.

buying outdated technology for brand new prices is the height of stupidity, in computing as in mobile devices. 5G connectivity is a straight upgrade in every single way possible. and i'm pretty sure the actual 'cost' of 5g vs. 4g is about the cost of a $13 receiver chip.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

how do you engineer equal battery life in vastly different-sized batteries, you absolute derpsicle?

it seems covid really has fatally affected your brain.
Erm because they have different loads? Load is usually matched to energy storage.

Now you're comparing completely different products.
"Why does this minivan have a longer range than an F1 car? Makes no sense"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

dilbert: i just donated $200 to a charity to flex on an internet forum with 3 readers.
Chances are it'll get lost or broken - although I've been lucky with phones so far.
I'm not spending more than I need just so I can have a phone with 3D cameras and video-editing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard