uziq
+492|3412
also how am i hypocrite? you started down this path by posting full 3-paragraph domestic diatribes bitching about your sister's wasteful tech consumption. meanwhile you're out here literally replacing top-end GPUs so you can watch youtube better. you started the convo and were hoist by your own petard, my guy.

your wasteful expenditure is also just on a whole other level. ok, so i buy a 'premium'-priced apple gadget every 5 years instead of a windows equivalent.  how many GPUs have you bought in the last 12 months again?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

The biggest attraction for me right now is a way out of Windows for private use without having to run Linux or something. Microsoft has had decades to stop feeling hacky, clunky, and overall languid but they just can't do it. Even the MS Store is a joke. Have you ever tried to browse for stuff on there, mac?

Every time I set about putting together a list of parts for a PC update, that's like a weekend from my life of pouring over the latest QVLs and tests component ratings/reputations, double-checking price to MSRP to make sure I'm not going to be scalped, making sure I buy from manufacturers that will cross-ship for RMAs where I can, ugh. It's an ordeal, and it isn't even (technically) my job anymore.

As far as pre-builts go, I could do so much worse than Apple.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

uziq wrote:

also how am i hypocrite? you started down this path by posting full 3-paragraph domestic diatribes bitching about your sister's wasteful tech consumption. meanwhile you're out here literally replacing top-end GPUs so you can watch youtube better. you started the convo and were hoist by your own petard, my guy.

your wasteful expenditure is also just on a whole other level. ok, so i buy a 'premium'-priced apple gadget every 5 years instead of a windows equivalent.  how many GPUs have you bought in the last 12 months again?
Uh 1 GPU in the last 12 months. 1 set of monitors in a decade.

You waste money on your own set of pet tech purchases. How much have you wasted on audio equipment? Do you see me bitching about your expensive headphones?

You are being hypocritical and should apologize.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3412
i use my headphones every day for hours. about as good a $/hr investment as a lil EA DICE product called bf2, if you ask me ...

imagine buying 3x 4K monitors, barely knowing why you even need that many pixels, and then finding you can't watch videos without stuttering.

then you project your self-own onto your poor sister. for merely enjoying her higher salary.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Dilbert is right about you.
uziq
+492|3412
lmao
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

tech fwp, getting sick of my android buzzing every couple hours, 24 hours a day, because some update snuck a bunch of unwanted notification subscriptions onto it. I don't mind being woken up for amber/silver alerts but I'm not interested in random trivia on vibrate.

Half of the time I can't even figure out what caused the notification. 1/20 here, and the last thing I can find was from yesterday. Been buzzed at like 8 times today. Need to spend time going through it I guess, grumble grumble.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

tech fwp, getting sick of my android buzzing every couple hours, 24 hours a day, because some update snuck a bunch of unwanted notification subscriptions onto it. I don't mind being woken up for amber/silver alerts but I'm not interested in random trivia on vibrate.

Half of the time I can't even figure out what caused the notification. 1/20 here, and the last thing I can find was from yesterday. Been buzzed at like 8 times today. Need to spend time going through it I guess, grumble grumble.
I hate how Google News or whatever pushes news alerts based on recent things you Googled or something.

I keep getting alerts for articles about Betty White and Spiderman. I think I once Googled "Spider-Man girlfriend" and now it thinks I am into superhero films.

All I wanted to do was to look at pictures of Zendaya
https://preview.redd.it/xwjw8intcjf71.jpg?auto=webp&s=2425cf30a17691f8b851ee32083ad0803a052aa5
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

The phone buzzed once while I was making that post, and once again before I made this one.

I found and toggled personalized news on smartnews to off. Hopefully they don't abuse breaking news often.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Today in web design, accessibility:

https://i.imgur.com/SLmeQfg.png

My eyes.
uziq
+492|3412
good god. the interior décor.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

(@mac'd post) Cat looks like it's about 5 seconds from a squirm-roll. Sometimes though they get that expression but stay chill.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6251|Washington St.
Finally upgraded to Win11.

Like most upgrades these days, there's no HUGE difference, just some differently shaped app tiles. The biggest thing isn't the 4 clicks it takes to move the start menu back to the left corner, it's the fact that you can't group your pinned apps or change their sizes. I used to use my pinned section of my menu with 4-5 large tiles for my main programs (browser, music app, etc) then another 10 smaller tiles for my less frequently used programs. Now there's not only 0 customization with size, but you can't even group or order them, you just tell tell Windows which programs you want pinned and they all go into a bucket of pinned tiles that look like shit and have no rhyme or reason or organization. Fucking garbage design.

Last edited by pirana6 (2022-01-25 22:36:41)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX
Its amazing how microsoft can not fuck things up, and its always user accessibility.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Why did you go along with the upgrade?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6251|Washington St.
If your name is Google, Apple, or Microsoft, given enough time upgrades aren't optional. The sooner I just do it the sooner I get used to it.
All things considered it's not THAT huge of a deal, just so stupid that it's probably really minor to allow a little bit of customization in your start menu... Especially considering that was the entire shtick of Windows 8. They had a happy start menu medium between 8 and 11 with 10.
Oh well, I just felt like whining.

Last edited by pirana6 (2022-01-25 22:34:51)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

I just keep shortcuts I want in folders on my desktop. Start menu has been clunky since a start menu was a thing. I preferred TabWorks of all things.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Df_yyUuXkAE4CMh.jpg

Yeah yeah, Windows 3.1 colors but it was so convenient without having to click through and scroll all over the place.
uziq
+492|3412
god bless apple. the (disappearing) dock is a thing of simple beauty. position it where you want and scale it how you want. throw folders or app groups on it with expanding tiles/tree animations.

all apps just a single gesture/swipe away on the trackpad. don’t even have to click anything. as well, of course, as the actual ‘WIN+E’ style keyboard shortcut to open the regular finder/explorer window to your apps folder.

did i mention apps in OSX aren’t nested in thousands of fucking folders and subdirectories? each app ‘package’ can be expanded if you need to get into its files and nuts and bolts, but the applications window by default just shows you a list of beautiful app icons, effectively indexing the ‘.exe’s only. beautiful. simple.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Those were the days

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6c/b8/55/6cb8550369a596bc79d73ca16a02370f.gif

I spent a good amount of time bitmapping my own icons.
uziq
+492|3412
i’m pretty sure the australian ‘neighbours’ show in the 1990s had a few product-pluggingly well placed iMacs in someone’s home. the big CRT-style monitor ones with coloured plastic shells. highly desirable back then.

OSX hasn’t changed all that much in its fundamentals.

cross-device support is really nice. dock your ipad as a small second monitor/contiguous desk space. seamlessly elide between your internet browser on your iphone and your macbook (i.e. they’re sync’d).

you can copy/cut something on your iphone or ipad and hit paste on your mac, even hours later, and it’ll paste it … genius. i use this all the time for sharing links.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-26 00:24:45)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
An iMac? I spent my bricklaying earnings on an LC

https://apple-history.com/images/models/lcIII_with_mon.jpg

Then saved up for a whopping 1Gb external hard drive.
uziq
+492|3412
i don’t know if they were even called iMacs then. i just remember the sight of one on the television. odd the things that stick out.

didn’t get my first apple computer until university. didn’t need a laptop before then, really. not that they were even that mainstream or popular in my adolescent years. the tech wasn’t quite there yet for the non-professional consumer.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i don’t know if they were even called iMacs then. i just remember the sight of one on the television. odd the things that stick out.

didn’t get my first apple computer until university. didn’t need a laptop before then, really. not that they were even that mainstream or popular in my adolescent years. the tech wasn’t quite there yet for the non-professional consumer.
The original imac was 1998

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/IMac_G3_color_carousel.gif/440px-IMac_G3_color_carousel.gif

Couldn't really justify one of those when the Classic and LC were soldiering on.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-02-07 02:07:32)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Don't know if I accidentally clicked on it or something, but Edge just opened up to talk about its updates.

Shown a splash screen on the bing tab. "Bring your desktop to life." I just know some designer somewhere was pushing for "bing your desktop to life," and was probably rebuffed by the same unimaginative higherups who turn down every attempt to improve the MS Store UI and experience.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

PC parts vendor Newegg has a bit of a scandal on its hands
https://www.windowscentral.com/pc-parts … -its-hands

tl;dr wrote:

- PC retailer Newegg appears to have been caught red-handed knowingly selling broken products.
- PC YouTube team Gamers Nexus purchased and returned a motherboard without opening it. Newegg then claimed Gamers Nexus had broken the motherboard, and refused a refund.
- It was only after going public that Gamers Nexus received a refund and the "broken" motherboard. After receiving it back, it appeared that Newegg had sold it broken from the outset.
PC master race, etc.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard