unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Surround headphones if I need to pinpoint footsteps or whatever. I just don't often play games where that's called for, nor do I feel the need for my ears to be cored by the droning background noise. Try standing next to 100 refineries in Satisfactory.

But if I ever need to "smallen" my workspace, the desk mic is going in a box and I'm getting a headset for VOIP gaming.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

The pic above puts me in mind of:

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
I built a PC for my sister a few years ago. Great PC. The PSU died though, so she says (she lies a lot). She decided to build a whole new gaming PC after that despite the fact that (A) my parents are paying her rent because she wanted to work less and focus on school (B) she doesn't play video games (C) she has never built a PC before. She literally started her research from scratch and (D) she should be focusing on school.

She has serious problems regarding impulse buying things and having nice stuff. Going on vacations, running up her credit card. She wanted an all white pretty computer. The pink and white one I built wasn't pretty enough.

She got stumped when it came to putting in the PSU. I could have helped her but I was already annoyed she even started building this thing while my parents pay her rent. I decided to take her to Microcenter, buy whatever else she needed, and have them install Win 11, the SSD, and PSU. Total came up to $300+. I justified it to myself as me buying back the old gift computer in order to give it to my mom. It just, maybe, needs a new PSU. I have a spare. The PSU in that computer is an EVGA gold and might still be under warranty anyway.

Anyhow Microcenter text me about it. They wanted me to bring in the screws for the dual fan water color with LEDs she bought for it. She doesn't plan to overclock it but wanted something with LEDs. She used the wrong backplate and standoffs for the superfluous water cooler.

Anyhow this PC has a Ryzen 5700, and a AMD GPU that is listed on Amazon for $999. She will use it to write word docs and read PDFs. Very annoyed by the fact this thing exists.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Pointless upgrade, could have just put the old stuff in a new chassis for an updated look.
uziq
+492|3448
a portrait of middle-class american consumer society right there. get edward hopper or david hockney to paint the tableau.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Pointless upgrade, could have just put the old stuff in a new chassis for an updated look.
She wanted everything white with LEDs. The old GPU was a 1050ti in black. Whatever she got now is all white all LED'd. Motherboard is all white. Corsair PSU White. Water cooler white. Fans white with rainbow LEDs.

Uzique wrote:

a portrait of middle-class american consumer society right there. get edward hopper or david hockney to paint the tableau.
She is really bad with money. She also bought a new 2020 Subaru STI less than a year ago. Got a cat a few weeks ago. She says it was a shelter cat but the cat is also trained. So that's probably a lie. She stopped using the family's Amazon account and instead uses a friend's in order to hide purchases. She goes to Vegas yearly for an EDM concert. Traveled to Berlin. Going to Amsterdam next. She went to Vegas recently. I asked her "shouldn't you be saving money?" She was like "I paid for this before COVID".

We are like polar opposites. She is a popular, pretty, outgoing, spendthrift, who is very unreliable. Drives me nuts. I don't even bother asking her to do small favors since she is incredibly unreliable. But she is still my little sister so I have to help her anyway even though she will throw a fit if you question her lifestyle choices.

I am going to take her onto the Dr. Phil show.
uziq
+492|3448
got any pics? i'm doing a research.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

The cat point wavers a bit. Decades of experience with shelter cats. All of them trainable to some degree, or already trained.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX
Many shelter cats are fully trained, trained enough to train you.

The last cat was funny. The previous one just did whatever he wanted, if you told him off he looked at you and carried on. Then did it again.
This one actually tried to be well behaved, most things you only had to tell him once.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Mac is def not a cat person. Barely even a dog person (when it's not a taxidermy project with missing pets). It would be too generous to take a cat ownership point from him even with a grain of salt. I don't feel like I'm gatekeeping by pointing that out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Anyhow this PC has a Ryzen 5700, and a AMD GPU that is listed on Amazon for $999. She will use it to write word docs and read PDFs. Very annoyed by the fact this thing exists.
It's about in the same spirit as someone who buys a performance sports car without ever planning on racing, or an off-road vehicle without ever going mudding or driving on the sand regardless of necessity, or a pickup truck without ever using the bed or tow package. Problems in consumerism.
uziq
+492|3448
i am done buying high-performance custom PCs forever. i can never see a use-case in the future when i would want one. even the (much fabled) mainstream rollout of VR doesn't interest me. a $3000 device and a spare room to wave around some sticks and play minecraft with 15 year olds? i'll pass.

for the rest of my life i will float in the mediocre tides with my brethren, spending 1.5x the price for beautiful shiny apple gadgets. life is too short to follow all this bullshit about 12-core processors, directx15 GPUs and RGB-reeeeee so that one can play the latest halo reboot or suffer the latest unfinished, glitchy elder scrolls game.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-20 03:05:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

If nothing else, the video card "shortage" has been a wakeup call for a lot of people, reexamining exactly how much they game and how much horsepower they need for what they play. That doesn't mean that I'm fine with a $500 device being scalped for $1500+ though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
I am the 5% of people who genuinely needed a $1800 GPU. I also needed multiple monitors.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
I use VR on a $225 gpu. You play hoi4

Last edited by RTHKI (2022-01-20 06:02:21)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
I have three 4K monitors and spent a year hosting virtual classes.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
You don't need a $1500 card for that
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
4K video runs a lot better on the 3080 than it did on the 2060. Fact.
uziq
+492|3448
i love that you were bragging about buying an 'overclocked' motherboard with 'future CPU potential' and then complained that your computer couldn't even play 4K video. what the fuck did you build bro? most modern CPU's alone can decode 4K video without even needing a GPU. my macbook can watch 4K video at a high framerate without switching from the integrated internal GPU ...

lmao at dissing your sister for making insanely wasteful tech purchases and here you are buying a $1500 graphics card for, erm, video playback.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
The computer could play 4K. It just ran better on the 3080. Everything runs better with a better GPU. I have three monitors going at all times.

I don't yell at you for buying expensive Apple products for browsing Twitter and reading word docs.

"Why do you need an iphone when all you do is read Twitter? My Android phone can browse Twitter just fine"

"Why do you need a MacBook to read PDFs? My Chromebook can read PDFs just fine."

Why are you like this?
uziq
+492|3448
i use my macbook for a lot more than reading PDFs. and, besides, i bought the macbook with 6 cores rather than 8, precisely because i knew that, though my uses were moderately heavy, they weren't 'pro-sumer' and i wasn't rendering CGI movies or working on gigantic design projects. i bought the most appropriate devices for my uses.

ditto on the iphone. i've just been saying for the last month that i'm relieved to be buying their 'cheapest', bottom-end model. for that i get a refreshed battery, double the storage space as my (currently full) phone has, a brand new camera that's a 4+ years of tech upgrade on the last, etc. my last phone is at the end of its life-cycle.

it's just funny that you even bought 3x 4K monitors. for what? i understand needing multiple monitors to work effectively. but are you benefitting from 4K in a triple arrangement? you could have even got a 4K monitor and alternated with a high-refresh-rate monitor for gaming. i highly suspect that one of your monitors is probably just sat at the side all day with your email client open or a document. do you need 4K for that? you just gimped yourself to needing a GPU that can output like half a trillion pixels at any one time for basically zero reason.

you and your sister both make dumb consumer choices. why are your family like this?

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-20 07:07:49)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Blah blah blah, there's nothing an Apple product can do that a Windows/Android based system can't.

Let me go conjure up the ghost of users past to tell you you made poor consumer choices.
uziq
+492|3448
apple iphones aren't any more expensive than windows/android phones.

neither are most of their macbooks thesedays, either.

you pay more for apple because you're buying a premium-designed product, better materials, better finish, better aftercare, etc. and because you're buying into the apple ecosystem, OSX, cross-device support, etc-ra. you know all this already because you enjoy using yours and understand the qualitative factors baked into that extra cost.

every apple laptop i've owned has lasted 5 full years, anyway. i've had 3 macbooks since i was 17.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
You don't need an advanced phone for Twitter and texting. Plenty of people use cheap phones. Plenty of people do just fine on Chromebooks.

You are pretty much acting like the George Carlin quote about hypocrisy.

Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
uziq
+492|3448
who says i just use my phone for twitter and texting? i specifically wanted a current-gen phone to take nicer photos/videos. i'm out here making memories whilst you're there giving yourself cataracts with 3x 4K screens.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard