SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Would you like to talk about pinball machines?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Not particularly, though I probably will if there's something you want to bring up. I feel like video game pinball is a good enough simulation. I don't know of any pizza places in the area that still have an actual machine, unless I go to the bowling alley. Too many quarters anyway.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
I watched a video and it turns out they are actually really annoying to repair and maintain. So many metal moving parts hitting each other. A time crisis or those terminator machines with the long rifle guns are the things you should probably go for.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

New Year, New Fail As Y2K22 Bug Brings Down Microsoft Exchange Mail Servers Worldwide
https://amp.hothardware.com/news/micros … s-and-mail
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX
Some time into the new year my Epson printer went nuts and printed a bunch of test patterns and blank pages.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Heinz has an ad on imgur that bypasses my ublock. It reads: "enjoy an ad free day."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
That reminds me of the popup telling me to sign up for Twitter every time I try to navigate off of a link somebody sent. Fuck that. I am never ever opening a Twitter account.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

What's really obnoxious is when this sort of thing puts the x really close to the "sign in with google" etc. buttons. It's a trap!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
I assume every "sign in with Google" is a phishing attempt. Even trustworthy sites, I don't want to do the sign in. Could just use a burner account but still.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6698|Oxferd Ohire
Seems like every one of my drives is dying. Wonder if mobo or psu has an issue. Media drive crashed. Had to check disk to recover it. Then had to DL bits of half the games on it. Samsung software said its fine though.

And my backup is dead now apparently.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3413
could be your mobo controller, yeah.

in any case, storage is super cheap right now. if you don’t already have a 2 or 5tb external SSD sat in a drawer somewhere for this reason, id order one and get busy slapping an image/data dump on it.

external USB-driven bays for 2.5 SSD’s are so cheap. like from 10 to 50 bucks depending how fancy you want them. you could check all your drives that way using another device or a friend’s computer, etc. easy way to remove the mobo/PSU from the equation.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

^ this, but also cloud backup for important files in case something happens to the building your computer stuff is in.

I do have to say that I've been very lucky with hard drives in 30 some-odd years. Even Deathstars, back when they were called Deathstars, have mostly behaved while in service. Video cards, on the other hand: I had to RMA my 6800 Ultra three times I think, and the 5x0 series twice (2010 was a complicated build, had to RMA the memory sticks too iirc). Big picture though, I guess they've been fine too.

A buddy of mine got an Acer laptop years back that had amazing tech reviews, nothing but trouble with it. He's pretty unlucky with tech. I suspect a lot of that was due to weird power in his older building, but it's a helluva thing ordering something you are told is new and getting it with shredded packaging and fingerprints all over the item (this was a video card). Spent a lot of time answering tech questions. His newer system seems to behave, I'm told.
uziq
+492|3413
never had a drive fail, i don’t think. some old SATA magnetic drives would get distinctly scratchy sounding, and slow, and spin up forever when doing mundane tasks … but never lost data.

power supplies on the other hand. i am fucking sick of faulty PSUs. even better when they take the mobo out with it. it’s my least favourite part of PC building. 90% of the serious issues i have had have been pre-POST, nothing-on-display, flat out hardware failures. even the top-rated modular PSUs are built like shit.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-10 23:44:36)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Mechanical hardware issues do cause most failures with electronic products, solid-state failures are extremely rare.
uziq
+492|3413
it doesn’t help that all of the major manufacturers of PSUs essentially rely on the same 2 suppliers and they can be notoriously shit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Like aftermarket car parts no-one gives a fuck as long as 97% exceed the warranty threshold which is typically a year.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-01-11 00:30:21)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

PSUs are one of the things I don't skimp on to an admittedly superstitious level. Pay attention to the manufacturer (I'd curr. select seasonic or rebranded seasonic), and then the reputation of the component manufacturer(s). Then after checking out model reliabilities, buy mid-high tier or above with hopefully some of the higher graded parts, not spending under $100. 80+ (I elect for gold+ since so many models have it anyway) with enough wattage to power what you have at half-load, not just barely enough wattage to scrape by.

Maybe luck, but I haven't had a PSU blast brown smoke in the shape of a grill onto my wall ever since I got a bit ridiculous with it.
uziq
+492|3413
my last PSU was platinum rated and blew out, taking the mobo with it, with zero warning. a nice £250 present.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Sucks pretty hard. I'm pretty sure you had a decent UPS too, but nothing's 100%. Suffice it to say that 80+ ratings alone are insufficient to go by.
uziq
+492|3413
i should say my last PSU to blow-up, not my most recent one. i haven't used that lockdown PC in over a year.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Speaking of PCs, Very annoying hearing talk about the 4080 when the 3080 has been an endangered species on the market for so long. Might as well forget 30x0 ever existed at this point in anticipation of 40x0, which may be equally unavailable.

This whole video card mess has my upgrade plans in a bit of a pickle. Could:

1) Buy pre-built sans video (or build my own), use my old gen card, and count on speculation of ShOrTaGeS ending, then be unable to find either 30x0 (bleh) or 40x0, ever.
2) Buy pre-built with aging 30x0, less attractive with each passing quarter.
3) Buy pre-built with 40x0 in 2022/23.

There doesn't seem to be any good solutions apart from just sticking it out and buying a laptop if something goes catastrophically wrong with my old PC in the meanwhile.

4) Adopt the standpoint that bleeding edge PC gaming in terms of video is coming to an end, for me. Might not be worth keeping track of if a game I'm interested in only comes along every 6 years.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Heard a coworker say they were without a PC for 5 days thanks to the Win 11 update. They had to roll back to Win 10. I am super excited for Win 11 to decide that I can't play most of the games I want.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a laptop. Lots of proprietary drivers for that stuff that doesn't always get along with new operating systems.
uziq
+492|3413

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Heard a coworker say they were without a PC for 5 days thanks to the Win 11 update. They had to roll back to Win 10. I am super excited for Win 11 to decide that I can't play most of the games I want.
in the same boat, actually. latest OSX about 2 versions ago went hard 64-bit. now can only play 3/4s of the games i own (like most steam games) using a built-in Parallels OS environment. won't run any 32-bit games. had to happen at some point, i suppose ... but waddafuck.

glad i don't own one of the first-gen apple CPU-GPU-RAM M1 laptops. a bunch of creative software, music software, games, etc, just flat-out didn't work with those. kept it real with the intel core.
uziq
+492|3413
(4) Adopt the standpoint that bleeding edge PC gaming in terms of video is coming to an end, for me. Might not be worth keeping track of if a game I'm interested in only comes along every 6 years.
almost undoubtedly this. why in the fuck would anyone pay $1500-2000 for a super-rare scalped GPU thesedays? current-gen GPU-pushing games suck ass!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard