uziq
+492|3413
anyone on windows 11?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Even if I wanted to, this PC won't work for it. Windows Update just straight up tells ya.
uziq
+492|3413
looks like they copied OSX. pretty funny.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

https://betawiki.net/images/thumb/0/07/21990.co_release.210523-1300.png/1200px-21990.co_release.210523-1300.png
Still looks Windows 10 to me. I don't see what the point is of centering the taskbar. It's visually unbalanced with all the crud on the right side. Big empty space on the left. I imagine it can be adjusted back to windows normal, though.

I do like the "type here to search" box not being there. That took up a lot of space and was a bright eyesore. Easier to just press the start button and start typing than to mouse all the way to a search bar. Maybe there was a shortcut I overlooked.
uziq
+492|3413
centering the task bar? with large expanding sub-menus from the task bar? a more prominent section for widgets and notifications? a semi-transparent, glassy style? you haven’t used OSX, have you?

there is no way to move the task bar back to the classic style or right/left side of the screen by the way. it’s all part of windows 11’s new workspace organisation, with windows being more readily organised/accessible … which is an awful lot like how macs do it.

i also love that apple’s last few major OSX/iOS updates have made their facetime video calling and messenging apps much more central to the OS experience. you can have giant group calls and share everything between your computers now in an interactive manner: watch movies together, annotate docs together, schedule calendar plans together etc. what does the latest windows offer ? oh you can send messages to all your contacts now via Teams. not skype, that app which MS acquired for billions of dollars a few years ago … but Teams. That app designed for, er, teams of workers.

fairly baffling. the new OS looks better anyway.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-15 23:27:21)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

https://www.windowslatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Windows-11-widgets.jpg

I think you can, but knowing MS it's probably stuck into some obscure page.

Some of the stuff you mentioned can be done with Google. Don't get me wrong though, I still want a Mac more than a new PC, but I have a feeling that even if I get a Mac I'll still end up with a new PC somewhere along the line. Whatever.

MS could have certainly been doing a better job of making things more streamlined all these years. At the interface level at least, they're like the dad version of software companies, whose idea of cleaning and reorganizing the garage amounts to rearranging the same stacks of the same garbage into different corners.

e: Certainly wish there was an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" checkbox for Windows updates. Give me the security patches automatically. Leave my obscure drivers alone.

e2: here we are,

https://www.minitool.com/news/move-wind … -menu.html

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2021-12-16 00:14:05)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America
Ugh, I don't look forward to the day when they softly force us to update to that shit. Newbie you do know you can turn off that type to search box, right? It's always among the quality of life changes I've made when I got my new laptop this year and my work laptop.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Yeah but like, it's always a pita to dick around with Windows settings. It should just be a toggle when you right-click the taskbar, but apparently not.

Annoying feature, but not annoying enough for me to notice that it's annoying me more than once every few months.

I'd rather be on an art program, or a game, than customize Windows 10 to the nth degree, or hang around the awful MS store looking for the pErFeCt PlUgIn or whatever.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Side note, I don't think I bothered converting my old Minecraft account. It will be interesting to see what happens if I request it after the cutoff date. Might get a mild dressing down from tech support before they activate my MS copy of Minecraft, like Wargaming gave me when I asked to be given an expired +1 skill commander from my Twitch Prime that I redeemed but didn't assign.

If they don't, well, as good of a reason as a scolding to just never touch the game again (I played WoT for a few months later, then mostly quit because I was tired of the endless loop of grind/nerf/grind/nerf and increasingly difficult credit earnings).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

DesertFox- wrote:

Ugh, I don't look forward to the day when they softly force us to update to that shit.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6251|Washington St.
When will you guys learn that technology moves faster than you can get used to it? Stop sitting down with something and assuming this is its final form. Just as soon as you finally figure something out is when they'll change it for god knows what reason and you'll have to start all over. If you just figure out how to do the bare minimum to get by, you won't invest time figuring out the tiniest changes that won't even exist by the time you get around to actually changing them.
uziq
+492|3413
i actually like the new proposed windows 11. it's nice to see them cribbing so much from OSX.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
The thing about these updates is that they introduce more Windows rot. You can expect a downgrade of performance over time solely due to more and stuff being added and removed. It's like replacing parts on a sports car. The car is never really the same.
uziq
+492|3413
it actually comes with a major proposed upgrade in game performance as it finally lets the CPU offload some of its memory/streaming to the GPU cores. or something. but you'll need a directx 12 card and a shitload of hard-drive space on your NMI-whatever those tiny hard-drives are called.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX
Great so everything else is downgraded and battery life nerfed 'because gaming'
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

pirana6 wrote:

When will you guys learn that technology moves faster than you can get used to it? Stop sitting down with something and assuming this is its final form. Just as soon as you finally figure something out is when they'll change it for god knows what reason and you'll have to start all over. If you just figure out how to do the bare minimum to get by, you won't invest time figuring out the tiniest changes that won't even exist by the time you get around to actually changing them.
Not everything new is better. MS Store for instance, I don't think any of its facelifts made it any better of an experience. Also, people are roped into different stuff. Star Trek Online went to a different service and bungled more than a few account transfers (including mine). Minecraft went to Microsoft Store.
uziq
+492|3413

Dilbert_X wrote:

Great so everything else is downgraded and battery life nerfed 'because gaming'
what are you talking about? it's a performance upgrade for windows just like moving from dx9 to dx10 was an upgrade. new operating systems need to keep pace with, and facilitate, new gains in graphics and hardware.

storage is now so fast and at such high bandwidth that GPUs can stream stuff straight from the SSD. it relieves load on the CPU, which formerly had to unpack this stuff. it makes the whole thing more efficient, more effective, and makes use of current-gen technology.

but ... it's a 'bad thing' because using GPU affects battery? how is that even relevant? i think most gamers who use laptops use a power cable, dilbert. there is never an expectation that gaming on a laptop will tally with long battery life. what the fuck is your point here, like seriously, lmao.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6677

pirana6 wrote:

Literally became the peeps that can’t use any technology cos it’s “too new”
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think what MS really needs to do is completely change office to some new layout so everyone has to retrain and spend their day thinking "where the fuck did that menu item go to"
uziq
+492|3413
when was the last time office changed drastically? the ribbon toolbar?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

picking up from this,

uziq wrote:

[centering the task bar? with large expanding sub-menus from the task bar? a more prominent section for widgets and notifications? a semi-transparent, glassy style? you haven’t used OSX, have you?]

[there is no way to move the task bar back to the classic style or right/left side of the screen by the way. it’s all part of windows 11’s new workspace organisation, with windows being more readily organised/accessible … which is an awful lot like how macs do it. ]

i also love that apple’s last few major OSX/iOS updates have made their facetime video calling and messenging apps much more central to the OS experience. you can have giant group calls and share everything between your computers now in an interactive manner: watch movies together, annotate docs together, schedule calendar plans together etc. what does the latest windows offer ? oh you can send messages to all your contacts now via Teams. not skype, that app which MS acquired for billions of dollars a few years ago … but Teams. That app designed for, er, teams of workers.

fairly baffling. the new OS looks better anyway.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I think you can, but knowing MS it's probably stuck into some obscure page.

Some of the stuff you mentioned can be done with Google. Don't get me wrong though, I still want a Mac more than a new PC, but I have a feeling that even if I get a Mac I'll still end up with a new PC somewhere along the line. Whatever.

MS could have certainly been doing a better job of making things more streamlined all these years. At the interface level at least, they're like the dad version of software companies, whose idea of cleaning and reorganizing the garage amounts to rearranging the same stacks of the same garbage into different corners.

e: Certainly wish there was an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" checkbox for Windows updates. Give me the security patches automatically. Leave my obscure drivers alone.

e2: here we are,

https://www.minitool.com/news/move-wind … -menu.html
So yes, it seems you can move those icons left.

Oversized transparent menus are not new to Windows. With a mouse or keyboard shortcuts, I don't have a very big problem navigating them just because it has to pop a little over to the right.

At a glance, the desktop looks alright, but it does not look as good as OS (more along this ms track, w10 light mode vs dark mode for instance: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows- … -dark-mode). I also have my doubts about how good the customization features will ultimately be. 10's feels a little underwhelming. Mostly though, my own desktop is for the taskbar, recycle bin, a couple of important shortcuts to folders, and the occasional dragged internet shortcut that I don't want to bookmark but I want to get back to later.

I will be upgrading to Windows 11 eventually not because it looks a little better, but because of some technical features and that I'd rather get ahead of the Windows 10 end of life, and from a work perspective keep that attitude rolling for the company. Sick of working on operating systems from the 2000s.

I'll probably be back with my estimation of improvements and annoyances once I've played around with W11. Any step towards Apple's cleaner style probably can't be bemoaned too much, but behind all that I am expecting MS's usual mess of menus and things that should be in one place but are spread out across 5 different submenus.

From digitaltrends:

If you have a compatible device, you should upgrade to Windows 11 to give it a try. There’s a catch, though. After you upgrade, you’ll only have 10 days to revert back to Windows 10. Microsoft is supporting Windows 10 through 2025, but you’ll need to do a clean install (erase all your data) after that 10-day downgrade window. If you’re the technical type, you also can try to dual boot both Windows 10 and Windows 11, t00 with little risk.
Time-locking the downgrade feature seems really arbitrary. "We'll let you upgrade via Windows Update but you have 10 days to debug Windows 11 with your current hardware, after which you'll be locked out of the downgrade feature."

Not all new things are beneficial, among those drivers that Windows Thinks You Should Have.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe one day it will occur to MS to do something original.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Microsoft has and is involved with a decent pile of innovations across a wide array of fields though. It isn't all IE memes.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Windows has been asking me for a restart to install an update for like a week. I refuse to do it. I am at the point where I refuse all updates to anything.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

[ ] update to apply security patches
[ ] update to install faulty drivers

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard