pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6286|Washington St.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So about this Apple vs FBI thing...

Uh does anyone think Apple really doesn't have a backdoor into their own devices? It is hard to believe a $235 billion dollar a year company doesn't have a way to get into their own devices. I'm not sure why Apple thinks this is a hill to die on. The people who really care about security don't use apple phones, they use android. Seems ridiculous to combat the FBI. Especially by a so called American company.
I'm not 100% positive they have a back door (though I'm 99% sure). But apple has a direct connection to basically every machine they've put out in the past decade+. Hell, at one point a ways back they wanted to literally own every song you downloaded from iTunes, you just payed them to play it whenever you want (the court shot that down).
The way their business is setup, they have a tight grip on anything out in the wild they've produced. A 'backdoor' in the old sense doesn't really apply like it used to.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

The FBI guys want a back door, but the TSA guys are the ones who have to jam their fingers into it.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6704|England. Stoke
Don't worry John McAffee has offered to do it, completely sane individual that he is.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

hey guys, remember this?

I'm looking into building a new PC.  Here's what I have tentatively planned:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ThktVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ThktVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.87 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($217.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($98.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($325.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($145.44 @ Mac Mall)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($133.95 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($86.95 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($248.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1738.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-24 21:48 EDT-0400

thoughts?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5353|London, England
Why?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

why am i building a new PC?  Because I want to and I like playing video games on a desktop.  I already have a laptop, phone and tablet for mobile.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

hey guys, remember this?

I'm looking into building a new PC.  Here's what I have tentatively planned:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ThktVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ThktVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.87 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($217.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($98.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($325.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($145.44 @ Mac Mall)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($133.95 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($86.95 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($248.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1738.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-24 21:48 EDT-0400

thoughts?
get a case with fans built into it that has lights.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6811129100

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2016-03-24 18:52:34)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

i don't like those.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6286|Washington St.
Get a better vid card. Those 970 GTXs are some years old and have been plagued with problems. People were forging because despite the issues they still came out in benchmarks, but that was a year and a half ago
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6712|Riva, MD
They haven't released anything newer than the GTX 9xx series yet, nVidia is supposed to release the Pascal GPUs at some point this summer if everything goes as planned, I might go for one of those if the benchmarks look good and the price is right.  The new Intel Kaby Lake processors were also supposed to come out in the summer but they've been pushed back to November or December now, and nobody anticipates much of a performance improvement over Skylake anyway.

I have exactly that same ASUS Strix GTX 970 and it's kept up extremely well for the most part.  The only game I'm really struggling to play at high-max settings now is Rise of the Tomb Raider and you're not trying to push 1440p like I am so you should be fine.  The whole 3.5GB/500MB split VRAM issue was overblown, it was messed up for nVidia to lie about it but the 970 is still a great deal for the money when you consider that the next step up is ~$200 more and if you're only using a 1080p monitor, then you won't need much more than a GTX 970 for now.  It's also the minimum required for both VR headsets if you're at all interested in that.

Everything else looks good too.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6286|Washington St.

_j5689_ wrote:

you should be fine

_j5689_ wrote:

and if you're only using

_j5689_ wrote:

for now.
This is my concern. If he were buying a budget computer that would be one thing. Or if he were considering upgrading a single component that would be one thing. But he's dropping the ducats for a whole new setup, so buying something where a part goes obsolete in a year is not the smart route. Buying just before the new series comes out when prices are still high is the least optimal time.

MSI GTX 980 or wait is my opinion. I built everything else from my comp but left out the video card and played with my old one until the new video cards came out. It was a bit of a pain but a few months didn't kill me. Plus its like getting a whole new computer all over again when you put the video card in there.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

i have an old 670 i can use in the meantime.  I could just do that.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6286|Washington St.
Would be wise imo.
Jnumbers aint dumb though so take his advice in equal stride. I'm just thinking longer term.

One last thing, are you sure you need a full tower case? I use to have one and they are huge. With my recent computer I could fit everything into a mid-tower and it didn't look an obscene box on my desk.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

I have a mid-tower and it bugs the shit out of me haha.  I feel like with a full tower I have enough room to throw whatever i want in there.  My mid tower was packed, especially with the vid card.  I had to remove some of the HDD bay back panels to fit it in.  I think using a mid tower on my last build was something i regret the most.

I think i'll just keep the 670 for now.  I'd rather wait and see what the new tech specs are that come out than buy the 970 now and regret it in 6 months.  Really the only game i'm building this for right now is the Division.  My current build plays everything fine, but it's like 6 years old now, and the only thing that's been upgraded is the gfx card.
CC-Marley
+407|6824
I got a EVGA GTX970 in Dec. Much better than my 560Ti was.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6712|Riva, MD
Using the old video card and storage is what I did with both of my builds in order to save a bit on them and wait/save up for better graphics cards around the corner.  The cool thing is that when you have a really old rig with a nice graphics card and then get a new rig, the graphics card is still complemented by everything else in the new rig and you can bump the settings up way more than before, it won't limit you as much as you would think.  Going from a 670 to whatever nVidia comes out with in the summer will also be a massive improvement after that.

The Kaby Lake is so far ahead in the year I wouldn't even bother to wait on it for a new build, although there's speculation of significant performance improvements over Skylake, but your Z170 motherboard will more than likely support Kaby Lake with just a firmware update from ASUS if you decide it's necessary down the road.  DirectX 12 is also finally starting to appear in new game releases such as Rise of the Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Gears Ultimate Edition, and it can actually take advantage of the extra threads that an i7 has from hyperthreading so it couldn't hurt to go all the way for future-proofing.  I've seen some people on other forums say they're still using Ivy Bridge(2012) i5 processors and not struggling with processor performance in current gaming but I think processors are about to be a whole lot more taxed than they have been in recent years because of DirectX 12's true multi-threaded nature and the rise of VR which needs all the power it can get to render two different perspectives in 1080p and still spit frames out at a minimum of 90 FPS to prevent nausea.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2016-03-26 08:16:08)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

CC-Marley wrote:

I got a EVGA GTX970 in Dec. Much better than my 560Ti was.
I went from a GTX 570 to a 760 to a 980, doubling my RAM to 16GB about halfway in between. Noticeable improvements each time.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

anyone have one of those ring doorbells?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Never heard of it. Had to look it up.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

anyone have one of those ring doorbells?
My parents set up cameras around and inside their house. 4 outside and 2 inside. They stream it over the internet to their Apple and droid phones with an app that came with the recorder set up.

Anyway, the thing that I can tell you about the service is that even with modern internet and cellphone service you aren't going to get video as fast as they show onto your phone. It will always be a little choppy and hard to hear no matter how expensive your video and recorder are.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

did the get the zmodo set up? Arlo?  Are you talking about a live stream directly from the ip cameras or are they watching recorded footage from the DVR?

I think if you are on a wireless network the connection will be better. LTE is usually choppy, yeah.  Are the cameras 1080p or 720?

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Never heard of it. Had to look it up.
thank you for letting me know.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6712|Riva, MD
That Ring thing does look pretty cool, I would totally get one if I had my own place.  Nothing like being able to tell Jehovah's Witnesses to fuck off without even opening the door

I remember looking at the Amazon reviews and they were mostly good, but the overall consensus was not to bother with the proximity sensor because it's completely backwards: Missing people actually at your door but catching every car that goes by in the street, only catching people's backs as they walk away, etc.

This seems like a good quick video review:

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

_j5689_ wrote:

That Ring thing does look pretty cool, I would totally get one if I had my own place.  Nothing like being able to tell Jehovah's Witnesses to fuck off without even opening the door

I remember looking at the Amazon reviews and they were mostly good, but the overall consensus was not to bother with the proximity sensor because it's completely backwards: Missing people actually at your door but catching every car that goes by in the street, only catching people's backs as they walk away, etc.

This seems like a good quick video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A8JG8m877Q
yeah that's exactly the same complaint i've read in reviews.  I've also heard the voice control is a little wonky.  It's interesting, but not being able to toggle on/off the camera on your own (only event-based) unless you have a wired doorbell to take over is kind of throwing me off.  If the motion sensor itself doesn't work, i should be able to manually turn the camera on from the app itself.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6712|Riva, MD
I didn't even know about that, I guess it's probably a privacy thing because people could put one anywhere and use it to spy on people.  That's the only reason I could think of as to why you can't just switch to the camera whenever you want
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

i think it's because of the battery life, actually.  If you don't have a wired doorbell to tap into, you can only use the li-ion battery, and constant 24/7 or even the option to toggle on would drain the battery too quickly.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard