uziq
+492|3422

mtb0minime wrote:

Who even buys CDs or records anymore when you can just pirate them or buy a digital version. Why even shell out a ton of money for a nice sound system or headphones when science has proven that anything above an MP3 at 96kbps sounds just the same as a FLAC.
that is a really terrible analogy especially from a STEM grad
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

OMG and don't forget Fallout 4 you guyz! I'm going to forget about all of their previous releases and how buggy and malfunctioning they were because I don't care it's a new Fallout OMG I'm so excite.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

uziq wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Who even buys CDs or records anymore when you can just pirate them or buy a digital version. Why even shell out a ton of money for a nice sound system or headphones when science has proven that anything above an MP3 at 96kbps sounds just the same as a FLAC.
that is a really terrible analogy especially from a STEM grad
STEM means English as a second language.
uziq
+492|3422
i really don't understand why people are getting so butthurt when i ask questions about their gaming hobby. we're all in our mid-late 20's now and by your own admission none of you are that thrilled with these games. there is no need to be upset etc. i was just asking why everyone is investing in these monster new machines – where's the excitement that drives these enthusiast level tech purchases. GTA V is a pretty good answer. but my own perpetually disappointed inner gaming geek somehow wants there to be more. i used to keep an eye on hardware stores all the time but there hasn't been a single thing to make me want to drop hardware cash in about 5 years. i can play all the popular games already. time was when major hardware cycles would be driven by 'next-gen' titles, ushering everyone along. when's the last time that genuinely happened? it's like the design philosophy has changed. now all the biggest games are retrograde and downscaled so cashiers in asia can play them on their win 95 machines.

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-20 11:31:13)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Really though, you can put on an album and listen to it with some earbuds at a low bitrate and get through it and get the gist of it. Or you can put on a record on a nice sound system and have an experience. One that's a higher fidelity thanks to more expensive/upgraded technology.

Same thing with the guys who geek out over home theater systems.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3340
Fair, very fair. And I would say, from my limited perspective playing really only 2 games, that the reason you might want to drop $1000 today is mostly to push your frames per second as high as you can in games like CS:GO. It's a massive advantage to not be playing Powerpoint everytime you walk by a smoke. To drive FPS figures as high as possible, I know guys on $1500 rigs playing with 4:3 blackbars. They don't even waste money on GFX cards; a 960 at best.

But, of course, that's if competitive CS:GO or otherwise is really your thing. For the casual gamer, yeah, you're right, there is very little to pull cash out of your wallet.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

I'm not butthurt or upset. All I'm saying is we all have our hobbies and interests that we spend a bit of money on for whatever experience we want, and I can see why some people want to go all out. I'm right there with you. As I've said, there hasn't been anything making me want to blow savings on upgrades for.
uziq
+492|3422
but my whole point is that all the best and most popular games are not technically demanding. all the hardcore titles now run on markedly mid-range pc's. who the hell buys one of those nvidia titan cards now. it's not even like they unlock some god-tier of performance or function. there is no new directx or graphics technology that wows consumers. for the last 5 years it seems like the only arms-race has been in spending $500 extra to go from 8x to 16x anti-aliasing. sorry for just finding it uninspiring.
uziq
+492|3422

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Fair, very fair. And I would say, from my limited perspective playing really only 2 games, that the reason you might want to drop $1000 today is mostly to push your frames per second as high as you can in games like CS:GO. It's a massive advantage to not be playing Powerpoint everytime you walk by a smoke. To drive FPS figures as high as possible, I know guys on $1500 rigs playing with 4:3 blackbars. They don't even waste money on GFX cards; a 960 at best.

But, of course, that's if competitive CS:GO or otherwise is really your thing. For the casual gamer, yeah, you're right, there is very little to pull cash out of your wallet.
i get this appeal and i agree it is super niche. i've been down that wormhole of looking at antique CRT monitors and trying to find long out of manufacture microsoft intellimice in order to play quake on 800x600 with the sickest refresh-rate and best mouse tracking. i understand that sort of fanaticism. but in a way it's kind of like an antique or willingly retro obsession. i'm more puzzled as to what drives the industry-by-and-large forward now. is CS:GO really so terribly optimised? tf2 is a weird example. the game gradually acquired so much bulk and obsolete bullshite that you had to upgrade a pc that could once play it flawlessly. i remember tf2 running fine on a q6600 machine. you almost had to step-up a graphics card in that game to keep up with the particle effects dragged into frame by new hats. lol.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3340

uziq wrote:

but my whole point is that all the best and most popular games are not technically demanding. all the hardcore titles now run on markedly mid-range pc's. who the hell buys one of those nvidia titan cards now. it's not even like they unlock some god-tier of performance or function. there is no new directx or graphics technology that wows consumers. for the last 5 years it seems like the only arms-race has been in spending $500 extra to go from 8x to 16x anti-aliasing. sorry for just finding it uninspiring.
And I think you've hit on the trend: gaming has gained more mass appeal. The market has expanded to include more low-income gamers as the industry gains traction, and the titles they're releasing are designed to run on little more than an i3 with 4GB of RAM as a result.

Maybe it's a good thing that you no longer need to blow 500$ every year on new parts. Now you get to play for the game quality and not the graphics quality (although 4K gaming in things like racing games is still very much a trend).
uziq
+492|3422
i would actually love to spend $1000 on a new man-cave toy like a desktop pc now. all of my posts are just bitterness and disappointment. i think i'd even do it if there was something like a decent and operable version of dayz out there. something that has that spark and seems to justify the hardware demand. building a whole new pc so i can set the shadow settings to 'very high' in my source games does not give me the same hard-on. i want to be transported to my simple teenage consumerism again.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3340
I think your last hope will be a really solid 4K gaming title in that case. I haven't paid much attention to what's being planned, but look into that trend if you want the full graphics-gameplay experience. With any luck a title will come out that meets your fancy and brings back the teenage consumerism.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

144 Hz > 4K
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
na
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

ya
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Go play console games then, 1080p @ 30fps. Because resolution is so much more important right.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
well it is when i wanna edit pictures and play games on the same monitor.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
gaming ips monitors are expensive.

well the first one on google was anyway

Last edited by RTHKI (2015-08-20 12:42:36)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

I wanna be a cool guy and have a 4K tv and a 144 Hz monitor, then just pick whatever I want for when I game
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3929|SL,UT

mtb0minime wrote:

I wanna be a cool guy and have a 4K tv and a 144 Hz monitor, then just pick whatever I want for when I game
you'll be a cool guy when you have that set-up. post pics, the women on this forum will flock to you . . .
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Decided to buy a new video card today. AMD R9 380. Bull shit that I had to pay taxes on it. Almost didn't do it once I saw NJ state wanted a $14 cut. The $14 isn't a lot of money. But it still angers me I have to pay the state that much to facilitate this transaction.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6686|Riva, MD
Was it an online purchase?

Last edited by _j5689_ (2015-08-25 08:52:37)

Pocshy2.0
+23|3340

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Decided to buy a new video card today. AMD R9 380. Bull shit that I had to pay taxes on it. Almost didn't do it once I saw NJ state wanted a $14 cut. The $14 isn't a lot of money. But it still angers me I have to pay the state that much to facilitate this transaction.
Sounds like you're fixing to write a sternly worded letter to your representative. Do post a copy.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3929|SL,UT

anyone using MintOS with a Cinnamon desktop?
uziq
+492|3422
sounds delicious

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard