Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

there's already holes in the window frame for cables from previous tenants so thats not an issue.  we have a dual N as well, but i feel like using it with 3 other students downloading/playing video games/watching youtube in the house is making it impossible to keep up with
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

Winston_Churchill wrote:

there's already holes in the window frame for cables from previous tenants so thats not an issue.  we have a dual N as well, but i feel like using it with 3 other students downloading/playing video games/watching youtube in the house is making it impossible to keep up with
Well, yeah, under those circumstances..  Wire them up.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

would getting ~30m of cat6 with around 10 of it exposed to outside and possibly wrapping it in pvc work? google says that the biggest dangers are lightning strikes but its going to be basically touching the house all the way along and in between rows of houses so i dont see that being an issue
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6692|Devon, England
Use insulation in the pipe if needed, maybe?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

this is going to be so tricky to do theres no way i have a ladder that tall so ill have to guess where to insulate it and then swing it through the window below
Tdog2007
Giggity Giggity
+25|6714|US
Rent a ladder?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

where on earth would i rent a ladder? :S and i dont want to be precariously up on a ladder 3 storeys up anyway
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Which one of these should I get? Feel free to recommend me something better from this same site if you think these aren't good.

Frys Electronics - Lenovo U410

Frys Electronics - Lenovo Z585

One of the major issues I have with laptops is overheating. I've dealt with this problem by taking off the bottom cover and using compressed air cans to remove the dust from the fan every few months. So an important factor in the next laptop I pick is how easy it is to remove the bottom protective cover.

I haven't been in the loop with PCs for two years now and I don't think I will be again anytime soon. What's better these days, ATI or NVIDIA, Intel or AMD?

Another important thing is that I'd like long battery life and a good sized screen of ~15.5''
Can anybody tell me which of these two is better? Once I pick one I'll go check it out at the store but it's kind of a long drive so I want to make it count. How is Lenovo's rep? Do they build quality laptops?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Lenovo's reputation is pretty good, though more for their Thinkpad line. I have a Y480 and its a pretty fantastic powerhorse so I'm sure either of those will work fine. cba to check their website for better laptops at 2am though
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6325|Graz, Austria
Winston_Churchill, why don't you just drill a hole straight down from one room to the other?
You can rent an electrical rotary hammer in most hardware stores (at least around here).
Might want to rent one of those wall metal detectors too, if it's reinforced concrete.
(My ISP's technicians do that regularly, when laying coax cables for TV and internet.)

Alternatively, have you thought about powerline ethernet?
Some of those should be fast enough for streaming 1080p.

Depending on how expensive your outdoor CAT cable will be, these two methods might be the same price range.
Even if not, they save you from the hassle of installing it up there and from the potential risks outside.
FFLink
There is.
TBH, it took me and my dad 10 minutes to drill a whole from down here to upstairs. All you need is a drill, the right bit and a wire coat-hanger.

Get some cable pins and it'll look tidy, too.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

cant drill holes through floors, we rent the place
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

Here's some cable tubing that may be useful. It's only rated to -20C but at least it will protect from rain, snow and ice.

Edit: It looks like the tubing may be split down the middle...guess it won't work against the elements

Last edited by bugz (2012-10-10 06:28:22)

jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

globefish23 wrote:

Winston_Churchill, why don't you just drill a hole straight down from one room to the other?
You can rent an electrical rotary hammer in most hardware stores (at least around here).
Might want to rent one of those wall metal detectors too, if it's reinforced concrete.
(My ISP's technicians do that regularly, when laying coax cables for TV and internet.)

Alternatively, have you thought about powerline ethernet?
Some of those should be fast enough for streaming 1080p.

Depending on how expensive your outdoor CAT cable will be, these two methods might be the same price range.
Even if not, they save you from the hassle of installing it up there and from the potential risks outside.
moca
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4969|Dundee, Scotland.
What about some for of trunking to protect it when it's outside? Should be able to fix that to the wall easily.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Which one of these should I get? Feel free to recommend me something better from this same site if you think these aren't good.

Frys Electronics - Lenovo U410

Frys Electronics - Lenovo Z585

One of the major issues I have with laptops is overheating. I've dealt with this problem by taking off the bottom cover and using compressed air cans to remove the dust from the fan every few months. So an important factor in the next laptop I pick is how easy it is to remove the bottom protective cover.

I haven't been in the loop with PCs for two years now and I don't think I will be again anytime soon. What's better these days, ATI or NVIDIA, Intel or AMD?

Another important thing is that I'd like long battery life and a good sized screen of ~15.5''
Can anybody tell me which of these two is better? Once I pick one I'll go check it out at the store but it's kind of a long drive so I want to make it count. How is Lenovo's rep? Do they build quality laptops?
I like the 2nd one better. That screen is surprisingly small on the first one.
FFLink
There is.
Cleaned my keyboard...

Half the keys don't work any more... At first it was just shift being held constantly, but then it switched to P, then CTRL, now a specific section of the board.

I'm pretty certain it was dry, but... Fuck. I can't even buy this keyboard any more and it was the best fucking board in the world.

Can't seem to find a new one that I like... Sad times.

This is my replacement:

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41lWsbH8csL.jpg

So fucking leet.

Last edited by FFLink (2012-10-14 18:24:20)

FFLink
There is.
Works!
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5982|Toronto

Winston_Churchill wrote:

cant drill holes through floors, we rent the place
The cable itself will be fine outside, I suggest going to Home Depot and getting some armoured wrap (basically a flexible metal tube) for it. Make sure you attach it to wall, and presto.
I like pie.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5789|Catherine Black

FFLink wrote:

Cleaned my keyboard...

Half the keys don't work any more... At first it was just shift being held constantly, but then it switched to P, then CTRL, now a specific section of the board.

I'm pretty certain it was dry, but... Fuck. I can't even buy this keyboard any more and it was the best fucking board in the world.

This is my replacement:

So fucking leet.
lol we sell exactly those keyboards in my work
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Finray wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Cleaned my keyboard...

This is my replacement:

So fucking leet.
lol we sell exactly those keyboards in my work
those exactly? No way
Benzin
+576|6000
Not sure if sarcasm...
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.

FFLink wrote:

Cleaned my keyboard...

This is my replacement:

So fucking leet.
Not that it matters but, I think you've got your up and down arrows switched, no joke. Usually the arrow symbol is on the left side of the key.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

CapnNismo wrote:

Not sure if sarcasm...
he spelled it wrong.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

Looks like I may get a small server rack (no idea what size it is...maybe 36") by the end of the week. My friend's work was just throwing it out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard