Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6835|Moscow, Russia

_j5689_ wrote:

Camm wrote:

Another thing about 7 being better than XP is supporting it. I used XP For a number of years. Certainly longer than I've used 7 for, yet I struggle to support users who are still on XP. I can't remember where certain things in XP are, whereas I can guide them easily in 7.
That's essentially saying that 7's better just because you use it and you forgot how to use XP, so therefore 7 is a better operating system.  I know exactly what you're talking about and I've had my rustiness with XP show through recently when working on somebody's computer but it's not a valid reason that 7 is better, lol

Anybody that properly supports their stuff on both of them will figure out how to do things and test things on both of them and possibly even configure guides for both
exactly. personally, i have no problem guiding my users whether they are on xp or on seven. if anything, the fact that so many settings and stuff have been moved to new places and given different names is just another fault on microsoft part, but that has nothing to do with which system is "better".

Last edited by Shahter (2012-09-26 10:40:04)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6727

April 8, 2014.  So, you've got some time to consider options.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6776|Riva, MD
Wow, that's only a year and a half away, time moves fast, lol
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5848|Catherine Black
I like Win8. Thinking about a getting a tablet and installing Win8 on it in the future.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6776|Riva, MD
Make sure you get one that's regular touchscreen, the pen on my ThinkPad X61 Tablet just can't close Metro apps for some reason.  It's a shame but there's other things I like about Windows 8 on that computer anyway and the pen is still perfectly usable on the desktop although the keyboard doesn't show up automatically on the screen anymore when I tap a typing area for some dumbass reason like it did in 7.  Probably a way to enable that somewhere though
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6692|949

I consider myself a pretty average computer user and couldn't get win7 homegroup set up at my place. I think it had to do with naming conventions but I have set up 2 or 3 home networks in the past with XP. I wouldn't say one is easier than the other.
Benzin
+576|6058

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I consider myself a pretty average computer user and couldn't get win7 homegroup set up at my place. I think it had to do with naming conventions but I have set up 2 or 3 home networks in the past with XP. I wouldn't say one is easier than the other.
If your router does not support IPv6, it won't work. I had a really old WRT54GL up until recently and was never able to use Homegroups. Got a Cisco E3200 and it was up and running in minutes.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6692|949

router supports ipv6.  it's definitely not the router
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6776|Riva, MD
I don't see why it would have to support IPv6 of all things, UPnP makes more sense
Benzin
+576|6058

_j5689_ wrote:

I don't see why it would have to support IPv6 of all things, UPnP makes more sense
It doesn't make sense to me at all, but that's what Homegroup requires.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6776|Riva, MD
Have you read somewhere that it specifically requires that or you found it out yourself?
Benzin
+576|6058

_j5689_ wrote:

Have you read somewhere that it specifically requires that or you found it out yourself?
https://www.google.at/webhp?sourceid=ch … mp;bih=979

Read it. I was troubleshooting it when I had my old router and stumbled upon a number of these articles and forum postings with different search strings.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6835|Moscow, Russia
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/4275/facepalm.gif

so this is the awesome advantage of the seven... but you need to upgrade your router so it supports ipv6.

lol.
Benzin
+576|6058
If you have an n-standard router, your router supports IPv6. Considering that n-standard has been around for a while now, I think it's safe to say most people will not have any issues. And if you do, a decent-enough new router is only €40.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6835|Moscow, Russia
of course. "only $40 more". for a gimmicky crap which doesn't really add anything. and that in addition for a full price of "new" microsoft os.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/4275/facepalm.gif

keep riding microsoft' dick.
Benzin
+576|6058
Yes, because the massive speed upgrades from g to n-standard are absolutely worthless. If you've bought a wifi-enabled device in the past 2-3 years, it's almost guaranteed to have n-standard. I certainly noticed the speed increase in my home network when transferring files between computers after going from g to n.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|5028|Dundee, Scotland.

Shahter wrote:

of course. "only $40 more". for a gimmicky crap which doesn't really add anything. and that in addition for a full price of "new" microsoft os.

keep riding microsoft' dick.
Hahahahahah '[ipv6] is gimmicky crap.' Good one chief.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6835|Moscow, Russia
look, i know you have no argument. i understand why you resort to taking stuff out of context. gtfo already why don't you. using ipv6 to build your home network around? using stuff like that retarded "homegroup" when deciding which os is better? are you drunk or are you fucking nuts?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6692|949

to date ipv6 has minimal footprint, which means right now you don't really need it.

I don't know what exactly shahter was referring to with the 'gimmicky crap' comment but it's safe to say no one needs ipv6 compatibility at this time.  However, there are advantages to having wireless 'n' as opposed to 'g' (and even 'ac' as opposed to 'n', but we are getting ahead of ourselves).

But shahter has a point re: xp vs. 7 - if you upgrade to 7 and upgrade your router to 'n' standard (or other router that is ipv6 ready), then you can create a home group.  It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make win7 networking backwards compatible with ipv4, but the way it is means you'd have to upgrade your router to take advantage of it.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6776|Riva, MD
Requiring IPv6 for Homegroups means almost any FiOS customer who uses their default MI424WR router won't be able to set one up, none of them have IPv6 support in the software yet except the Revision G which is given to business customers and people who buy them off eBay like me

I was surprised to finally see it enabled in the firmware when I Googled to see if they'd made any progress yet.  As far as I know IPv6 still isn't enabled on the customer servers yet though so it's useless for anything more than local networking if it can even be configured that way
Benzin
+576|6058
Shahter is just against anything new, point and simple. He sees no reason to upgrade for himself and fails to understand that there are functions in newer releases that others consider very valuable. That's fine. If he can't understand it, it's his problem. This is the exact reason that innovation doesn't happen in certain companies: the people in those companies do not understand that not everyone thinks the same way they do. It's also why so many Android fanbois can't understand Apple's rise. The same with Apple vs Android. It's the same with any fanboi - none of them can see beyond their own walls and refuse to do so and they will suffer for it at the end of the day. Just let Shahter be closed-minded and stop having discussions like this with him - he thinks he knows everything but he clearly does not. Just drop it and stop debating this with him - I'm done with the asshole.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6692|949

"innovation" in companies (that's really a bad way to describe it) is far more affected by cost/benefit than anyone's myopic view of technology.

Regardless, he does have a vaild point about the cost/benefit of upgrading a system to win7.  It's definitely not as simple as new technology -> new features -> upgrade.
Benzin
+576|6058
You have to have the ideas to be able to make that cost/benefit analysis first. Without ideas, there is no analysis and eventually the company will become irrelevant as Microsoft was starting to become.

Look at it this way: if you're still running XP-era hardware, it's time for an upgrade. Point and simple. The vast majority of the world's population will not build their own system and their machine will come with Windows 7 pre-installed. Assuming you're still on hardware that is that old, you should also upgrade your router. Streaming media within the home has become so easy via DLNA, Netflix, etc. and I would be willing to bet that people aren't running ethernet cables through their homes - they're using wifi and your old and clunky router might not be up to the task. Sure, it will work but will it be the best and still be able to handle traffic elsewhere in the home?

Think of a family of four: dad's streaming a movie on Netflix, wife is surfing the internet on her laptop, kid #1 is surfing the net on his/her iPad and kid #2 is playing BF3. Your internet connection coming into the house is going to need to be sufficiently quick to keep up with all that and in the USA that's not a real issue. But once the connection is being sent through the rest of the house, if the router can't handle that much data at once, your home LAN is going to suck, pure and simple. Routers are cheap, too. You can get a decent n-standard for €40-50 and the prices are similar in the US - just stick a USD $ in front of those numbers and you're done.

Certainly, if you have a license and you've built the system yourself and you see no reason to upgrade to Windows 7, fine. Save the money and spend it on something else. But the fact of the matter is that we are a very small minority in the computing industry and the rest of the population buys a new laptop or PC on a regular basis and the license is already there, there's no reason to upgrade.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6835|Moscow, Russia
what a clown!

you know, kiddie, had you been speaking about new programming api's, plug and play database, improved windows update service, search functions, new features enabled in win 7 via active directory since win 2008 server for enterprise management, new task manager, firewall rules, command line utilities - then you'd have a fraction of a point. a tiny fraction, mind you, because none of the above makes any real difference - just flashy stuff, none of which is especially crucial or "innovative". but you have been talking about home group, about - non-existent - security. about, you know, total crap.

as i said, keep riding microsoft' dick. just stop embarrassing yourself and do it quietly.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|5028|Dundee, Scotland.
XP is ugly.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard