Benzin
+576|5996

mtb0minime wrote:

Gaming friend recently got an NZXT Phantom as well and really likes it. I only saw the white one so far, and I'm a little put off by the look (a simple rectangular box is preferable, not all those weird funky things on the front), but that's just nitpicking. I'll look into that one a bit more.
I've got the black one and it looks really nice. The large top-mounted fan has blue LEDs mounted on it but there's a button on the back of the case to turn it on and off. The fan controller along the top is also really nice. Like I said, it's easy to work with and there is all kinds of room inside the case and behind (for wire tucking).
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya
Personally I prefer more "plain" looking cases. Hence my Corsair 650D and I'll be buying a 550D for my new HTPC (using my current gaming PC components so I need a proper ATX case).
Benzin
+576|5996

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Personally I prefer more "plain" looking cases. Hence my Corsair 650D and I'll be buying a 550D for my new HTPC (using my current gaming PC components so I need a proper ATX case).
There are very few "plain" looking full-tower ATX cases, unfortunately. Corsair has pretty much a monopoly on them with the Obsidian and that thing is crazy expensive.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4966|Dundee, Scotland.
I like my mid tower NZXT Source. Really want to get some rubber grommet thingies to put in the cable management holes though. Anyone know where you can buy them?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Brasso
+1,549|6628

CapnNismo wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

There are very few "plain" looking full-tower ATX cases, unfortunately. Corsair has pretty much a monopoly on them with the Obsidian and that thing is crazy expensive.
yeah, those, or the billion dollar lian-lis

i dont understand how such a simple looking case can cost so much money

Last edited by Brasso (2012-09-02 09:08:32)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Benzin
+576|5996
Manufacturing costs and brand name. I've no doubt that Lian-Li uses extremely high quality materials (from what I've heard, those cases weigh a ton) and has great quality control. That adds to the cost. Plus, the brand. Why do you think a Harley costs so much?
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya

CapnNismo wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Although, the 650D is such a big mid tower it pretty much borders on full tower. I've done builds in the 932 before, and despite the fact it's a "full tower" it really doesn't feel any roomier on the inside than something like a 650D and the exterior dimensions are actually fairly close (within 1-5% on each measurement).
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Although, the 650D is such a big mid tower it pretty much borders on full tower. I've done builds in the 932 before, and despite the fact it's a "full tower" it really doesn't feel any roomier on the inside than something like a 650D and the exterior dimensions are actually fairly close (within 1-5% on each measurement).
@capn: Don't rule out Li Li, Silverstone, or Fractal for simple cases, all good options, fractal being the cheapest. The Corsair 550D looks great to me. Lots of cases are copying the Coolermaster 690, thats a great case, with a great price.
Benzin
+576|5996

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Sorry, I fucked up - I meant the 800D.

@Whiteroom: I had to ignore anything from Lian Li when I bought my Phantom because they were all simply too expensive. I looked at Silverstone's stuff with their rotated motherboard setup and it turned out that they didn't actually cool things very well, but those cases were in the running. Never heard of Fractal, though.
i broke this verizon HTC Rhyme phone over the weekend,
droid , 3.7" screen(perfect size) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,23 … ?tab=Specs

what's the next best thing for replacement?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

mtb0minime wrote:

Budget is around $150~$200 I guess. Will probably get this. 2400+ positive reviews can't go wrong. I definitely prefer the simple looking stuff and will just turn any lights/LEDs off. Big fans and open space are a must. I don't mind sticking with Cooler Master at all. The one I have now is doing just fine, aside from it being a mid tower.

I remember Antecs being real popular back in the day but they weren't in my budget. Good to know I'm not missing anything
Let me throw in my own thumbs up for the HAF series. When routing the wires, don't knock out the big rubber grommets because they're a BITCH to reinsert. Your biggest issue with it over the next year will be keeping it dusted, especially if you keep it on the floor like I do. Once or twice every couple of months or so does it for me.

Camm wrote:

I like my mid tower NZXT Source. Really want to get some rubber grommet thingies to put in the cable management holes though. Anyone know where you can buy them?
You could try rubber cement TROLLOLOL

e: ok seriously, hop onto google and look up "how to make rubber grommets." there's a few PC-related links that should help out.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Oh, yeah I went with the Phantom. Ordered it a few days ago. Had gotten the thumbs up from a few other people as well.

Dust is definitely an issue, even now. I should probably air mine out once a week. Way too much dust and dirt around here.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6737|Toronto | Canada

I want to build a HTPC for our new living room. We have a nice 50" plasma, 5.1 speakers and a networked 12TB server of movies/TV shows.  I need something powerful enough to wirelessly stream 1080p and also have a 5.1 sound card, but also be pretty cheap.  I'd use one of the pre-made solutions like WDTV but none of them I've seen have 5.1 outputs.  Anyone have a cheap build in mind?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I want to build a HTPC for our new living room. We have a nice 50" plasma, 5.1 speakers and a networked 12TB server of movies/TV shows.  I need something powerful enough to wirelessly stream 1080p and also have a 5.1 sound card, but also be pretty cheap.  I'd use one of the pre-made solutions like WDTV but none of them I've seen have 5.1 outputs.  Anyone have a cheap build in mind?
"Cheap build in mind"

Are you wanting it to be custom or premade?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
Budget?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

well i couldnt find any all in one solutions that fit (popcorn hour, wdtv, patriot box office, roku, boxee, etc) so itll have to be custom.  budget is probably $300 CAD
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

well i couldnt find any all in one solutions that fit (popcorn hour, wdtv, patriot box office, roku, boxee, etc) so itll have to be custom.  budget is probably $300 CAD
ok dok. I'll have a look.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
Holy tits. £190 for absolutely everything...
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
https://i.imgur.com/JsaXu.png

Probably something like that.

Also noticed Newegg have some awesome Combo deals that would be up your street... http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundl … bo.1017103

Last edited by Camm (2012-09-05 12:01:13)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

That looks pretty good, I'll definitely look into it.  Though now I'm considering getting a WDTV Live or HD and finding a used receiver on craigslist or something.  Might be cheaper and would certainly be sleeker
Benzin
+576|5996

Winston_Churchill wrote:

That looks pretty good, I'll definitely look into it.  Though now I'm considering getting a WDTV Live or HD and finding a used receiver on craigslist or something.  Might be cheaper and would certainly be sleeker
Here's my solution to the whole HTPC thing: get a Bluray player that has a wifi radio built in and supports DLNA (I'm getting a Sony in a month or two). So long as your main PC that has all the videos and stuff is turned on and you have Windows 7 Homegroups activated and running on the network, you can easily stream everything to the Bluray player.

Sony's players also can be controlled over the network via their Android app. Bad. Ass.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Ok what the fuck. Got my Phantom today and it's cool and spacious and I like it. But the top panel LEDs (power/hdd activity/fan control) are blindingly bright. I've got this distracting blue laser beam pointing into the corners of my eyes. Any easy way to turn them off? Some quick Googling has yielded nothing so far.

This thing is so quiet and I love it. But it's ruined by the lights. I want stealth mode.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2012-09-05 23:39:43)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6740|FUCK UBISOFT

put band aids over them
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

They'd melt, shit's so bright. My old one had black electrical tape over the LEDs. Trying to avoid that here since it's all sticky.

Life sucks I want to kill myself.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Also I'm an idiot and forgot to hook up power to my dvd rom

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard