Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6161|'straya

Zimmer wrote:

Finray wrote:

I don't know, the market is pretty damn even right now. Whichever way you go, you won't be disappointed, but, yes, I think nVidia may just have the edge.

PS, don't believe the trolls, there's nothing wrong with ATi drivers and hasn't been since about 2009.
That's wrong, very wrong. I keep up to date with the Catalyst driver creator on Twitter and there's been many problems over the years (and there are currently problems with The Witcher 2 and the Catalyst drivers).

After looking at lots of benchmarks, the GTX570 Overclocked has the edge over the 6970HD.
Certainly there are problems with AMD drivers, there are problems with plenty of companies drivers. Nvidia isn't immune to this either, they've had their share and particularly nasty ones where the cards ends up overheating itself etc.

Also, the HD6970 is better for high-res and has better multi-card scaling. They are pretty much dead even.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad … 18-12.html

tomshardware has 2560x1600 benchmarks, the HD6970 generally as the edge over the GTX570 at that resolution.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Finray wrote:

I don't know, the market is pretty damn even right now. Whichever way you go, you won't be disappointed, but, yes, I think nVidia may just have the edge.

PS, don't believe the trolls, there's nothing wrong with ATi drivers and hasn't been since about 2009.
That's wrong, very wrong. I keep up to date with the Catalyst driver creator on Twitter and there's been many problems over the years (and there are currently problems with The Witcher 2 and the Catalyst drivers).

After looking at lots of benchmarks, the GTX570 Overclocked has the edge over the 6970HD.
Certainly there are problems with AMD drivers, there are problems with plenty of companies drivers. Nvidia isn't immune to this either, they've had their share and particularly nasty ones where the cards ends up overheating itself etc.

Also, the HD6970 is better for high-res and has better multi-card scaling. They are pretty much dead even.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad … 18-12.html

tomshardware has 2560x1600 benchmarks, the HD6970 generally as the edge over the GTX570 at that resolution.
^this looks about right. personally, i still prefer nvidia - always had better experience with it.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

Damn you! I was about to click buy on the 570!

Bear in mind though that the 570 I'm buying is the 570OC, which is not benchmarked there and is a good bit faster than the stock 570.

Now I'm in a strut
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia
yep. this sucks, doesn't it? flip a coin or something.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5800|Catherine Black
I'd say get the 6950 and flash it. Free power!
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

Shahter wrote:

I'm far too calculating to do that.

This is driving me nuts. All the benchmarked 570's there though are "800MHz GDDR5, Core: 735Mhz, Shader Clock: 1464MHz", whereas the OC'ed one is: " 4000MHz GDDR5, Core: 770MHz, Shader Clock: 1540MHz"

Quite a noticeable difference. Which should, theoretically, make up for the 3-5FPS difference at 2560x1600 comparing the 6970 and the 570.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

Finray wrote:

That was the plan all along. But if I got the 6970... I can overclock that even more, can't I?
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6161|'straya

Zimmer wrote:

Finray wrote:

That was the plan all along. But if I got the 6970... I can overclock that even more, can't I?
Yep (although you obviously can't unlock any shaders). I've done some overclocking on my HD6970 on they overclock very well. The temperatures are pretty good, but it's a bit of luck whether or not you get a good overclocking card.

If you can afford it I would still recommend going for the GTX570 or HD6970. Flashing the BIOS and that sort of stuff is great, but it's not a certainty. It's like the people that bought those AMD CPU's thinking they could unlock the cores and then realising they couldn't.

If you can't afford it and want to save some money then that's great, you might get a bit of extra bang for your buck.

But that's just my opinion.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia

Zimmer wrote:

Shahter wrote:

I'm far too calculating to do that.

This is driving me nuts.
that's my problem each and every time as well. lol

LBJ gives a good advice in the above post again. in your place, i'd probably let money be the deciding factor.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

HD6970 it is. I can overclock it and after reading more about both cards it's definitely the choice for monitors of 2560x1600 due to the more RAM. If it had been any other monitor I was putting this on then I would have gotten the 570, but they're identical in price and the 6970 does edge it a bit.

Oh shit though... I only have a 520W Modular PSU from Corsair. Is that enough?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4980|Dundee, Scotland.

Zimmer wrote:

HD6970 it is. I can overclock it and after reading more about both cards it's definitely the choice for monitors of 2560x1600 due to the more RAM. If it had been any other monitor I was putting this on then I would have gotten the 570, but they're identical in price and the 6970 does edge it a bit.

Oh shit though... I only have a 520W Modular PSU from Corsair. Is that enough?
depends what else you have
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

I just checked, minimum is 550W and recommended is 650W. I have an i7, P6T and DDR3. Well, now I need to get a PSU as well.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4980|Dundee, Scotland.

Zimmer wrote:

I just checked, minimum is 550W and recommended is 650W. I have an i7, P6T and DDR3. Well, now I need to get a PSU as well.
yes. yes you do.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6426|Finland

How bout ASUS GTX 570 Direct CU II? If you do get a HD 6970 I recommend DCII model from Asus too. The reference cooler is noisy and hot.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS … ect_Cu_II/

e: and if you have Corsair HX 520W, that definately should be enough. Don't let those manufacturer bs recommendations fool you, they are for bad quality PSUs.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2011-06-02 05:03:23)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6161|'straya

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

How bout ASUS GTX 570 Direct CU II? If you do get a HD 6970 I recommend DCII model from Asus too. The reference cooler is noisy and hot.

I can verify that it is noisy if the fan goes above 30%, but I wouldn't really call it hot. Mine doesn't go over 65C which isn't too bad for a big, powerful card.

That ASUS card is nice, I just can't justify spending an extra ~$50 for a better cooler (that's how much more it costs in Aus, don't know about other places)
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

e: and if you have Corsair HX 520W, that definately should be enough. Don't let those manufacturer bs recommendations fool you, they are for bad quality PSUs.
You sure about the PSU? All I'm reading on forums is that you should get something above 600W. I want to overclock the GFX as well, Panzer... so that might change your opinion?

Yeah, I saw that... Unfortunately I don't think that shit will fit in my Antec 900.

And regarding noise, I have music on and a pretty large soundsystem so the noise of the computer will never bother me. My Antec 900 runs with all the fans on high at all times.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6426|Finland

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

That ASUS card is nice, I just can't justify spending an extra ~$50 for a better cooler (that's how much more it costs in Aus, don't know about other places)
Here it actually costs the same as reference models. You got a good card if it runs at 65c highest, I know more than 5 with card going +85c in BC2.

Zimmer wrote:

You sure about the PSU? All I'm reading on forums is that you should get something above 600W. I want to overclock the GFX as well, Panzer... so that might change your opinion?
Depends of how much you are going to overclock. Then you'd be safer getting a new +600w PSU, just to be sure. The 520w isn't exactly brand new anymore...

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2011-06-02 05:14:02)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia
i'd not save on psu if i were you, especially if you plan to overclock - starting currents may get really nasty as you do it, and psu is affected the most. those things, you know, have a bad tendency of taking a lot of other shit with them when they die.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Here it actually costs the same as reference models. You got a good card if it runs at 65c highest, I know more than 5 with card going +85c in BC2.

Zimmer wrote:

Depends of how much you are going to overclock. Then you'd be safer getting a new +600w PSU, just to be sure. The 520w isn't exactly brand new anymore...
Would that extra large one fit in my Antec 900? I have a feeling it might not.

Yeah, so I'm gonna need a PSU.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

Which PSU would you recommend?
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6426|Finland

Zimmer wrote:

Corsair AX750 too expensive? It is pretty much best you can get atm.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6671|BC, Canada

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Corsair AX750 too expensive? It is pretty much best you can get atm.
They are putting out a AX650 at the moment too. Don't know if it is in stores yet, but will be soon.
Also while the 570 dcII is a nice card, keep in mind that the cooler on 570s and 580s is makes it a 3 slot card.

Last edited by Nic (2011-06-02 05:56:49)

GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6426|Finland

Here is relevant thread about fitting the DCII card in Antec 900. You need to remove a drive bay. But since noise isn't a problem, might aswell get the reference model.

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55345

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2011-06-02 05:55:34)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Here is relevant thread about fitting the DCII card in Antec 900. You need to remove a drive bay. But since noise isn't a problem, might aswell get the reference model.

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55345
Would you go for anything other than Corsair for the PSU? The AX750 is a beautiful PSU but it is a pretty premium price for a 750W Modular PSU.

I know that the PSU is incredibly important, so I'm not interested in going down the cheap line, but alternatives are always a good thing to look at.

The AX650 isn't out for a bit, so that's out of the question (need this setup now).

Cheers for the link, but as you said, I don't mind about the noise
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6426|Finland

I think a Corsair HX650 would do well too. It should go for a lot cheaper.

Seasonic X-650 better but might get close to AX750 price.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2011-06-02 06:06:29)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard