Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6766|UK

Zimmer wrote:

Vilham wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

I'd be getting Home Premium unless you need any of the extra bits Pro/Ultimate gives you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind … ts/compare

I can't imagine you'd need Ultimate and Pro really only adds Domain network functionality from what I can see.
So are all versions locked to one motherboard and i remember XP had some "upgrade" version which required an old version of windows, which I don't have, I notice all these versions are labelled as upgrades so does the same apply here?

Just to make this clear. I have a brand new build with no OS. I need an OS and don't really want one that is locked to one motherboard.
OEM is bound to a motherboard, retail is not.

I got Pro, but I guess home premium does the trick as well. If you're a student Pro is the same price as HP.
So wait they have 9 versions of windows 7. Its like they are asking me not to buy it.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
don't buy it, download ultimate, be done with it
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Benzin
+576|5999
The only three versions relevant to the Western world are Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate. Get HP for most of your needs unless there's a feature of Pro that you actually need. I have Pro, but that's only because it's the only version my uni offers. If they'd had HP, I would be happy with it. I've yet to use any of the Pro features...
mikkel
+383|6601

Vilham wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Vilham wrote:

So are all versions locked to one motherboard and i remember XP had some "upgrade" version which required an old version of windows, which I don't have, I notice all these versions are labelled as upgrades so does the same apply here?

Just to make this clear. I have a brand new build with no OS. I need an OS and don't really want one that is locked to one motherboard.

I got Pro, but I guess home premium does the trick as well. If you're a student Pro is the same price as HP.
So wait they have 9 versions of windows 7. Its like they are asking me not to buy it.
There are three versions of Windows 7 marketed to end-users in the technologically developed world, and all three have significant and well-documented feature separation. How are they 'asking you not to buy it' by presenting you with three different options?

Last edited by mikkel (2011-04-18 12:34:27)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Vilham wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

What?

No, there are 3 version you need to worry about, and that's that. You want motherboard bound you buy the cheap OEM disk from Overclockers, you want the full edition you buy the shebang either as a student for £40 or you pay out £125 for the retail edition of Home Premium.

It's not hard to understand the features that each come with/lack are incredibly clear. I honestly do not see what the fuss is about.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6766|UK

Zimmer wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

What?

No, there are 3 version you need to worry about, and that's that. You want motherboard bound you buy the cheap OEM disk from Overclockers, you want the full edition you buy the shebang either as a student for £40 or you pay out £125 for the retail edition of Home Premium.

It's not hard to understand the features that each come with/lack are incredibly clear. I honestly do not see what the fuss is about.
Theres:

Home Premium Full OEM
Home Premium Full Retail
Home Premium Upgrade Retail
Home Premium Upgrade OEM

etc etc no?

Their own website basically fails to actually tell you about the full version on the buy page unless you scroll right down the bottom and then scroll down within a pane to select it.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6414|Finland

Nooooo!

Seagate bought Samsung HDD division.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/19/sams … 5-billion/

I can never trust their drives under Seagate management in future. Only WD left...

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2011-04-19 03:02:30)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

Yay, maybe Samsung drives won't die all the time now
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya

max wrote:

Yay, maybe Samsung drives won't die all the time now
Really? I've got 7 Samsung drives (had some of them for ~3 years) and I've never had a single one fail...
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

I've had like 7 of them fail.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
Meh I've had good experiences with them so I'll probably keep buying them. In the past 3 years I have had 2 out of 3 WD drives fail but 0 out of 7 Samsung drives fail.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6691|Devon, England
All hard drives will fail eventually. Everyone has good things to say about some brand, while others have bad things to say about the same.

I've been using Hitachi Deskstars for years and have never had a fail. Loads of people hate them for, in my opinion, no reason.

Just go for performance/price.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Ordered 2x2GB DDR2 667 for an oldish mobo that, as it turned out, is only able to read 2GB max. CBA to read the manual then, so I'm happy with a single DIMM over two 512MB DDR400's. Coulda saved 50% if I went with one, though.

(e: didn't "buy today")
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6741|OctoLand
Tech guys help me :

Have an ipad, have 720p movies on the ipad, what's the best way to be able to display those on an hdtv, what do I need to buy?
I know fucking karate
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

justice wrote:

Tech guys help me :

Have an ipad, have 720p movies on the ipad, what's the best way to be able to display those on an hdtv, what do I need to buy?
http://myappworld.com/how-to-play-ipad- … -products/

First Google search :
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6741|OctoLand
Gracias
I know fucking karate
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4968|Dundee, Scotland.
After my girlfriend said that she would like to turn the closet into a walk in wardrobe, I was sitting reading Custom PC and showed her the logitech G27 and said I would love to get a car seat from a scrapyard and a few screens and have a shit hot racing set up, then joked about instead of her getting a walk in wardrobe we could put the set-up in the closet. She said that would be an awesome idea.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6439|King Of The Islands

FFLink wrote:

All hard drives will fail eventually. Everyone has good things to say about some brand, while others have bad things to say about the same.

I've been using Hitachi Deskstars for years and have never had a fail. Loads of people hate them for, in my opinion, no reason.

Just go for performance/price.
Sense. This guy makes it.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Benzin
+576|5999

Camm wrote:

After my girlfriend said that she would like to turn the closet into a walk in wardrobe, I was sitting reading Custom PC and showed her the logitech G27 and said I would love to get a car seat from a scrapyard and a few screens and have a shit hot racing set up, then joked about instead of her getting a walk in wardrobe we could put the set-up in the closet. She said that would be an awesome idea.
marry her or I will
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

quick, what's a good, easy-to-acquire gif editor?
i just want to hold a frame for 3 or 4 seconds, quickly flash another frame, then go back.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

photoshop
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

I should dick around in photoshop more. I've already got it installed. /mefail
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

Found this old thing i made like 3 years ago for you...

https://tazz.me/static/photobucket/Untitled-2-3.gif
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

Holy seizure gif tutorial batman
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6742|London

i got 100% on batman

8)

https://i56.tinypic.com/2dvivc9.png
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png

Board footer