SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6661|The darkside of Denver

SonderKommando wrote:

TSI wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

i need a new receiver... My Onkyo TXSR606 is dying after only two years... Having issues detecting HD inputs... Thinking Yamaha or Denon.... suggestions? $600.00 pretty low to mid grade AV receiver?
How many channels do you need?
prefer 7.1 and biamp on front (lol guess it'd have to be 7.1 for this).  100-135w per channel

ebug9 wrote:

How did the VelociRaptor RAID turn out Sonder?
drive gets in today.  I need to back some shit up and create a system image disk.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5982|Toronto

SonderKommando wrote:

TSI wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

i need a new receiver... My Onkyo TXSR606 is dying after only two years... Having issues detecting HD inputs... Thinking Yamaha or Denon.... suggestions? $600.00 pretty low to mid grade AV receiver?
prefer 7.1 and biamp on front.  100-135w per channel
Although I love Onkyo, I can see why you'd be turned off.

Try the Sony STRDN1010. I have the STRDG-something at home and I'm very happy with the quality. It's got 110 watts per, so within your range. It's also on sale for 450 now, so well within your budget.

Else, I don't think there's a Denon matching your specs and price. The cheapest one above 100 watts per is 800 bucks or so. Yamaha I have little experience with, but I think you'd be looking at the 650-700 range with the RX v765, except it's 95 watts per.

Another couple of choices would be thePioneer VSX-1020K. I've always liked Pioneer, even though their audio fidelity allegedly leaves some to be desired in some cases. Never used one of their AV amps, but it looks good. Either that, or some of the Yamaha HDR line, except they're all less powerful.
I like pie.
SonderKommando

TSI wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

TSI wrote:

Although I love Onkyo, I can see why you'd be turned off.

Try the Sony STRDN1010. I have the STRDG-something at home and I'm very happy with the quality. It's got 110 watts per, so within your range. It's also on sale for 450 now, so well within your budget.

Else, I don't think there's a Denon matching your specs and price. The cheapest one above 100 watts per is 800 bucks or so. Yamaha I have little experience with, but I think you'd be looking at the 650-700 range with the RX v765, except it's 95 watts per.

Another couple of choices would be thePioneer VSX-1020K. I've always liked Pioneer, even though their audio fidelity allegedly leaves some to be desired in some cases. Never used one of their AV amps, but it looks good. Either that, or some of the Yamaha HDR line, except they're all less powerful.
Yea man, I cant believe my Onkyo is failing already, warranty expried 28/10/10 too.. how whack?  I like that Sony.... hmmmmmm
alexb
<3
+590|5941|Kentucky, USA

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California

presidentsheep wrote:

Go on one of the student software sites and buy it cheap, got mine for £40 or so ages back
Ok I'll try that. Thanks
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6723|Sydney, Australia

SonderKommando wrote:

TSI wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Why the desire to bi-amp (you mean bi-wire?... as you are only using one amp...?) the front speakers? What'cha got speaker wise?
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten

mcminty wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

TSI wrote:

Why the desire to bi-amp (you mean bi-wire?... as you are only using one amp...?) the front speakers? What'cha got speaker wise?
Yea....
I was wondering that too... Unless your receiver is set up to bi-amp, it would be pointless, as there would be no way to set the cross-over....
And Minty, you can 'bi-amp' as long as it's a multi-channel amp.
EE (hats
mcminty

Morpheus wrote:

My Cambridge 650A has two channels, but it doesn't mean I'd bother with bi-wiring even if my speakers supported it. :p
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten

mcminty wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

My Cambridge 650A has two channels, but it doesn't mean I'd bother with bi-wiring even if my speakers supported it. :p
I said you can bi-amp, not that you should
Unless your cambridge 650a also has a crossover, it'd be pretty stupid.
EE (hats
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Finally going to attempt setting up XBMC tonight.  Gonna use this skin.  Its going to take overnight or longer to sync my media so I'll update how it goes tomorrow.
So far:
- beautiful interface
- didnt take near as long as I thought it would to scan, overnight for 4TB of stuff
- some great features (ie little checkmark after youve watched something, really useful for TV shows
- posters of every movie worked automatically, didnt need any configuration
- VERY slow interface
- can be laggy at times, usually menus are pretty quick though
- exiting a movie in progress usually takes about a full minute for it to respond (VERY irritating)

I'm not sure if I'll keep using it, its really convenient but incredibly slow at times.  I guess I'll see if I can speed it up in any way.

Also, this is with that skin applied.  With the default skin it was nice looking but not nearly as good as this one and much faster.
SonderKommando
My understanding is biamping allows for sperate power for the high and low channels for the speakers, right?

My system is compromised of Klipsch Reference series speakers.
RF62's and and RC52 center with reference bookshelves as rears, sub is Definitive Technologies Supercube III.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten

SonderKommando wrote:

My understanding is biamping allows for sperate power for the high and low channels for the speakers, right?
That's bi-amping in a nutshell, but when considering why bi-amping, you should never go under "more power = better".
Each driver in a speaker (woofer or tweeter) is designed to accept a different range of the audio spectrum - 'highs' or 'lows' in this case. On (most) passive speakers (i.e., un-powered) there is internal wiring to filter the frequency for each driver. 'Bi-amp' mode, however, lets you directly connect the drivers to the amp, bypassing the internal filter. Without going into technicals, this can be good or bad - you will not want to hook up a full-spectrum feed to each driver. it might not hurt the speaker, but it certainly won't sound as good, unless you have proper system tuning and processing... which I doubt most home A/V receivers have.
EE (hats
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada
Quick question, for a video/photo editing computer:
Use pretty much the same build style as gaming except memory is more important and  a mid range video card?

Was thinking something like this:
Phenom 1090
Radeon 6850
8GB ddr3
2TB wd cav black
corsair hx 650
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6692|Devon, England
Looks good. Would also benefit with an SSD for the OS drive.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada

FFLink wrote:

Looks good. Would also benefit with an SSD for the OS drive.
That may not be feasible on the budget. I'll see if I can shuffle some stuff around and do some price matching to save cash. Maybe with a new sale starting Wednesday I could work it in.

Right now with what I have picked out, with a 27" monitor it sits at 1440 CAD.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6692|Devon, England
Not necessary, but it will give a great boost to general speed all around. Probably best to hold off on SSDs for now, though, if he's intending to buy soon. New ones are coming out soon, pushing down prices of older ones.
mcminty
Morpheus pretty much said all that needed to be said I doubt there would be any audible difference with regards to bi-wiring when done with a home cinema setup. The only difference would be to your wallet at the end of the day

Also,

Morpheus wrote:

you should never go under "more power = better".
Indeed. My 650A is rated at 75w per channel, yet while my speakers can take from 30-180w I never need to turn my amp past 10 o'clock on the volume dial to fill the room with sound. Realistically I'm never using anything near 75 watts for most listening..
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten

mcminty wrote:

Morpheus pretty much said all that needed to be said I doubt there would be any audible difference with regards to bi-wiring when done with a home cinema setup. The only difference would be to your wallet at the end of the day

Also,

Morpheus wrote:

you should never go under "more power = better".
Indeed. My 650A is rated at 75w per channel, yet while my speakers can take from 30-180w I never need to turn my amp past 10 o'clock on the volume dial to fill the room with sound. Realistically I'm never using anything near 75 watts for most listening..
Dealing with watts and speakers is a really interesting read - if you're interested: http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/mana … dspeakers/ (warning: it may get tech-heavy )
A more relevant extrapolation of loudspeaker power capability might list even more power levels, but at the lower end of the scale. A driver capable of 100 watts when driven to its limits with the AES specification is potentially only able to handle 50 watts when driven with a sine wave, which only has 3 dB crest factor.

Apply a DC current (0 dB crest factor) and it will likely handle less than 25 watts. No manufacturer in their right mind is going to list a loudspeaker with a power handling of “25 watts DC” when the same driver can be said to handle “400 watts peak,” so we are all left to do a little math on our own.
EE (hats
mcminty
Nice article I understood most of it..
Bevo
Nah
+718|6522|Austin, Texas
Sennheiser 595s worth the extra $50 over 555s?

ed: would be using out of my E-MU 0404 External Card.
ed: would I need an amp? fffffffffff

Last edited by Bevo (2010-12-07 16:59:50)

bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

555s then do this

Bevo
Nah
+718|6522|Austin, Texas
Would I need an amp if I got the 555s?

ed: I'm guessing the amp-ing by my external sound card will cover that.

Last edited by Bevo (2010-12-07 17:19:17)

mcminty
err.. you have this yeah? http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Professi … B000IXNE3E

It's got a headphone output, and the 555's only have 50 ohm impedance. Should be fine...

hmm, I'm looking around at different headphone amps myself. I've had mine for a while.. I want a small tube headphone amp.

edit:

Bevo wrote:

go 598's. they look epic.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6522|Austin, Texas

mcminty wrote:

err.. you have this yeah? http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Professi … B000IXNE3E

It's got a headphone output, and the 555's only have 50 ohm impedance. Should be fine...

hmm, I'm looking around at different headphone amps myself. I've had mine for a while.. I want a small tube headphone amp.

edit:

Bevo wrote:

go 598's. they look epic.
those look comfy as fuck

bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

Fleece ear pads. Now there's a good idea. Something comfortable that doesn't absorb sweat and fairly easy to clean. Unlike the velvet ear pads on my headset which are nasty after a year of use.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard