­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6291|Carnoustie MASSIF

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Uzique wrote:

15" MBP's are gay...

get the 17" or go home!
I love how the 17" Macbook doesn't have a numpad. That's the one reason I'm going 17" with my next laptop.
Even my 15.6" has a numpad
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
i cant tell whether you're being sincere or sarcastic because you dont have a clue how macs work
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
CammRobb
Banned

Uzique wrote:

i cant tell whether you're being sincere or sarcastic because you dont have a clue how macs work
who are you talking to?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
anyone criticizing mbp's for not having a numpad...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
CammRobb
Banned

Uzique wrote:

anyone criticizing mbp's for not having a numpad...
So Freezer then?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6728|NYC / Hamburg

Numpads are just as useful on OSX as Windows. Quickest way of entering numbers. If you moved the speakers, there'd be plenty of room for a numpad.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6447|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

CammRobb wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Uzique wrote:

15" MBP's are gay...

get the 17" or go home!
I love how the 17" Macbook doesn't have a numpad. That's the one reason I'm going 17" with my next laptop.
Yeah most widescreen 15" have a numpad these days
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
have you heard the speakers on a MBP? i'd rather have those speakers than a numpad... period.
max
Vela Incident

I have. No reason they can't sound decent if you move them above the keyboard or into the front of the lappy.

Personally I have no need for good speakers in my laptop. If I'm at home I'll play everything through my stereo or headphones and if I'm on the go I'll use earbuds. On the other hand I need to quickly enter numbers all the time.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6358|Winland

CammRobb wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Uzique wrote:

15" MBP's are gay...

get the 17" or go home!
15" numpads are never full-size. I can't touch type on them.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FloppY_
­

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

15" numpads are never full-size. I can't touch type on them.
My 15.6" Sony Vaio with numpad is fullsize and I can go from my media keyboard elite to the vaio keyboard with no problems whatsoever...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-07-25 09:55:30)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
erm well duh on that logic everybody using a macbook pro for desk-heavy tasks, i.e. number punching... will have an external keyboard... same as any business/administrative person does. take the 15-17" laptop into work, use external, bigger monitor / keyboard. it's not hard. i'd say for the average user a better-placed set of speakers is more of an asset than a numpad taking up square-inches of space that will seldom be used.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6820|BC, Canada
And anybody who wants great sound will probably have a great headset or set of speakers to plug into it.... If the speakers could be moved to the top like max said, and accommodate a numpad, there is no reason not to.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
im pretty sure there's a defined reason why the speakers are where they are, and why there is no numpad. a device with the tight design aesthetic and superb finish of a macbook doesn't strike me as a device particularly lacking in thought and consideration. they're tailored for a purpose - perhaps, admittedly, that purpose isn't heavy number punching. perhaps there are several other uses that they are not the 'best' device for. but they serve a very valid purpose for many people, e.g. journalists and designers, that do just fine without a numpad.

personally i cannot imagine an accountant relying on a 15 inch tiny-ass laptop keyboard for all his number-work. an external dell/IBM keyboard would surely be the logical choice-- or even a standalone numpad.
max
Vela Incident

If you're gonna use an external screen and mouse/kb, you might as well get the cheaper 15'' variant.

Fitting a keyboard + numpad + decent speakers is possible. Those 17'' HP media lappys have good sound.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6575|Finland

max wrote:

Those 17'' HP media lappys have good sound.
But suck in every other aspect
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6820|BC, Canada
I'm trying to find a good laptop for when the desktop is sold, if that even happens. Want a 17" for sure.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
... Mbp
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6820|BC, Canada
When I could get a lappy, headset, GoPro HD, and prob external mouse/keyboard for the same price, probably not. All of those things are far more useful to me than OSX could ever be. But yeah i know, jokes.
FloppY_
­
Why do you people like 17" laptops?

The humongous size is laughable, you might aswell get a desktop and save yourself some money...
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

Uzique wrote:

a device with the tight design aesthetic and superb finish of a macbook doesn't strike me as a device particularly lacking in thought and consideration.
There is a lot of thought and consideration put into it. Into how it looks.

FloppY_ wrote:

The humongous size is laughable, you might aswell get a desktop and save yourself some money...
When I got my 17" lappy (courtesy of max, the sexy bastard), I thought the same. But once I've gotten used to it, I really can't see myself with anything else. It's big-enough to have everything full-size, and also has space for proper, quite silent cooling.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FloppY_
­

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Uzique wrote:

a device with the tight design aesthetic and superb finish of a macbook doesn't strike me as a device particularly lacking in thought and consideration.

FloppY_ wrote:

When I got my 17" lappy (courtesy of max, the sexy bastard), I thought the same. But once I've gotten used to it, I really can't see myself with anything else. It's big-enough to have everything full-size, and also has space for proper, quite silent cooling.
I will never buy one for my own money... much rather get a much better desktop for less and a 15" laptop you can actually carry around without needing a forklift...
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Uzique wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

I will never buy one for my own money... much rather get a much better desktop for less and a 15" laptop you can actually carry around without needing a forklift...
Girly man, why don't you buy a skirt while you're at it?
FloppY_
­

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Girly man, why don't you buy a skirt while you're at it?
pfft...

The whole point of a laptop is to be portable... If you get a 17" you might aswell carry around a desktop

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard