Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6485|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Oy vey. The drive is not visible in Windows. BIOS shows it no problem. Tried to run Photorec and Testdisk but they don't see the drive either.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..... D:
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6298|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Oy vey. The drive is not visible in Windows. BIOS shows it no problem. Tried to run Photorec and Testdisk but they don't see the drive either.

Control panel -> computer administration -> disk management -> is it there?
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
FloppY_
­
https://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3441/i3mediapc.jpg
mITX platform with onboard HDMI-out

Monitor will be a television and this will be for watching DVDs & Downloaded movies, browsing web etc. (possibly upgraded to bluray player when slim drives become available..

Suggestions? Must be as cheap as possible
(It's not for me, I'm building it for someone if they want it)

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-06-11 04:17:29)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5800|Catherine Black
i3 for a movie rig? Wtf? You don't need anything more than an E5200 for that.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
FloppY_
­

Finray wrote:

i3 for a movie rig? Wtf? You don't need anything more than an E5200 for that.
protip: LGA775 platform is the same price as a LGA1156
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6579|NYC / Hamburg

do you have those zotac mitx boards with the onboard nvidida 9300/9400? GPU offloading really is a blessing for movie playback. How are you going to cool the CPU? The stock fan is too noisy for a HTPC imo. I just use a Lian Li PC-Q07 case for a mitx project. You can fit a full sized PSU in there. Airflow from the PSU can be used to passively cool the CPU. Thought about a dual core atom + ion config?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6485|6 6 4 oh, I forget

FloppY_ wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Control panel -> computer administration -> disk management -> is it there?
No disk.
FloppY_
­

max wrote:

do you have those zotac mitx boards with the onboard nvidida 9300/9400? GPU offloading really is a blessing for movie playback. How are you going to cool the CPU? The stock fan is too noisy for a HTPC imo. I just use a Lian Li PC-Q07 case for a mitx project. You can fit a full sized PSU in there. Airflow from the PSU can be used to passively cool the CPU. Thought about a dual core atom + ion config?
The Lian Li is too big, I chose the Ace case exactly because it uses a laptop style external powersupply and therefor is no bigger than a DVD/VHS recorder... and if I did choose the Lian li, I'd have to add the 30% extra cost AND the cost of a PSU...

Those onboard GPU zotacs are more expensive, and wouldn't exactly help the cooling (I like built in wifi though)...

The Ace case comes with two small fans to provide airflow, between them and a stock i3 cooler I don't think temps will be a problem, noise can't get much less though since there is little room for a CPU heatsink and afaik there are no i3 small profile heatsinks...
Besides, the people I would be doing this for will sit 3-4 metres away with speakers turned up...

EDIT: oh and the Zotac mobo's are ION platform or socket 775

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-06-11 06:09:27)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6532|Austin, Texas
Is there some sort of shortcut to take me to display --> screen resoultion within the control panel? I constantly switch between my two monitors as my main display, mostly due to my "main" display being a TV.

Or even a shortcut to change them instantly would be awesome.

<3
FloppY_
­

Bevo wrote:

Is there some sort of shortcut to take me to display --> screen resoultion within the control panel? I constantly switch between my two monitors as my main display, mostly due to my "main" display being a TV.

<3
Do some googling, I'm sure you can create a .bat file to do that for you if you know the system commands for the settings...

Doesn't windows do that by itself when you plug in the monitor,, I thought it did?

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-06-11 11:59:03)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6593|SE London

Bevo wrote:

<3
If you use Windows 7 the projector settings thingys are very nice for that.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6532|Austin, Texas

Bertster7 wrote:

Bevo wrote:

<3
Yeah, win7. Explain?

@floppy: still... useless.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6593|SE London

Bevo wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Bevo wrote:

<3
Yeah, win7. Explain?

@floppy: still... useless.
displayswitch.exe

That's what I use.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6324

This Creative Fatal1ty headset sucks balls. Every time I pick it up, the joints feel like they're gonna fall apart.

My old shitty Logitech one felt more durable
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6458|Amsterdam‫
protip, dont instal a new mobo without reinstalling windows.  i've had every bsod that exists.

it even bsod during chkdsk
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6666

How do you disable the on-screen keyboard from starting up every time? I've checked the settings for that and couldn't find anything, I checked the startup registries on CCleaner and couldn't find an entry for on-screen keyboard, I've checked the accessibility settings and couldn't find anything, I checked the startup folder in the start menu and the keyboard wasn't listed there either... I'm so lost
alexb
<3
+590|5951|Kentucky, USA

mtb0minime wrote:

How do you disable the on-screen keyboard from starting up every time? I've checked the settings for that and couldn't find anything, I checked the startup registries on CCleaner and couldn't find an entry for on-screen keyboard, I've checked the accessibility settings and couldn't find anything, I checked the startup folder in the start menu and the keyboard wasn't listed there either... I'm so lost
Press the Win + U keys together to launch the Ease of Access Center.

Then click on "Use the Computer without a mouse or keyboard" (most probably the 3rd option in the list).

Then on next page uncheck the box which says "Use On-Screen Keyboard".

Last edited by alexb (2010-06-11 15:05:16)

Wallpaper
+303|6005|The pool

ebug9 wrote:

This Creative Fatal1ty headset sucks balls. Every time I pick it up, the joints feel like they're gonna fall apart.

Next time, Sennheiser.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Wallpaper wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Next time, Sennheiser.
My HD 555s are sexy.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6324

Wallpaper wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Next time, Sennheiser.
I would, except the cheapest ones I've seen near me (555s) are around $179
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6186|Sydney | ♥

i heart my g35.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Wallpaper
+303|6005|The pool

ebug9 wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Next time, Sennheiser.
Thats what happens when you live upside down

Spoiler (highlight to read):
<3
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6324

Wallpaper wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

Next time, Sennheiser.
Thats what happens when you live upside down

Spoiler (highlight to read):
<3
I ain't from Aussieland I'm from Canadia eh?
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6186|Sydney | ♥

yeah. here they cost a grand.

nah but srsly, the 555s are ~ $210 here.

178.22700 U.S. dollars
147.587777 Euros
122.813534 British pounds

Edit:

184.857084 Canadian dollars

Last edited by tazz. (2010-06-12 03:56:58)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Got mine for £80 and £10 postage. And I thought I lived far away from civilization.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard