lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestof … mbkidz.cnn

HS kids failing a basic citizenship quiz........... example: Who is the first president of the US?

Nothing more needs to be said, except, ya really want this same govt. responsible for your health?

Last edited by lowing (2009-09-21 04:40:39)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Who said the government would be responsible for people's health?

The government would be responsible for providing healthCARE to those who want it. An important difference...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that the people who set the school cirriculum know what they're doing, and are not the incompetent fools you are making them out to be...

Last edited by Spark (2009-09-21 04:41:03)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Spark wrote:

Who said the government would be responsible for people's health?

The government would be responsible for providing healthCARE to those who want it. An important difference...
Nope, not when you go where the govt. says. and see who the govt. says. and the govt. deciding what procedures you will have and when. this my friend is control

Yet the kids don't know shit. gotcha

Last edited by lowing (2009-09-21 04:42:33)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Kids fail test -> Govt should not provide healthcare.
Wow.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wow.
Govt. not responsible enough togovern education effectively = govt not responsible enough to govern medical decisions effectively
nlsme1
+32|5388
Lowing, did you attend school in a public setting?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

nlsme1 wrote:

Yup
nlsme1
+32|5388

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wow.
Govt. not responsible enough togovern education effectively = govt not responsible enough to govern medical decisions effectively
You would rather have a for-profit company making the decision for your doctor?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

nlsme1 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wow.
You would rather have a for-profit company making the decision for your doctor?
Nope, I would rather have a for profit doctor making the decisions. Never said reform was not needed, I say the govt. is not the answer
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6611|Your moms bedroom
for god sakes man, they put george washington on the back of every dollar bill, what more do you want from them???

its poor parenting not poor governing

the government makes sure the kids get the proper books

the parents and teachers need to make sure the kids read those  books

Last edited by Locoloki (2009-09-21 04:56:27)

nlsme1
+32|5388

lowing wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

Yup
Well you have done allright, no?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

nlsme1 wrote:

lowing wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

Yup
Yup I have, I knew who the first president was back in first grade I think.

The issue here is, why are these kids allowed to progress to HS and graduation without know this shit? Everyone shares an equal stake in a students education, first the parents, then the students then the teachers.

Last edited by lowing (2009-09-21 04:58:36)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Locoloki wrote:

for god sakes man, they put george washington on the back of every dollar bill, what more do you want from them???

its poor parenting not poor governing

the government makes sure the kids get the proper books

the parents and teachers need to make sure the kids read those  books
read up
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yup

The issue here is, why are these kids allowed to progress to HS and graduation without know this shit? Everyone shares an equal stake in a students education, first the parents, then the students then the teachers.
I think if you gave them a test on what they were actually told they would need to know like how to do maths and what not they would be mostly fine...

Again, your "governments are utterly incomptent at every level" argument holds little water.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
nlsme1
+32|5388
I would say, by high school age, most of the responsability lies with the student.
Healthcare to education is apples to oranges.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

I think if you gave them a test on what they were actually told they would need to know like how to do maths and what not they would be mostly fine...

Again, your "governments are utterly incompetent at every level" argument holds little water.
So in your mind a person who has no idea who the first president was, can probably do geometry? See, to me, if you do not care enough to learn who the first president was, even by fuckin accident, you ain't gunna give a shit about much of anything else.

and yes govt. is incompetent.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6738

lowing wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

Yup
If Lowing is the type of people that government education is producing then I say take it away from the them. Let the private sector do it.
PureFodder
+225|6256
"Who wrote the declaration of independence?"
Michael Jackson - 2%
Barak Obama - 5%

"What are the two Major Political Parties in the US?"
Communist and Republican - 11%

"What do we call the forst 10 Amendmants of the Constitution?"
The Ten Commandments - 3%

I'm thinking that lots of kids weren't taking this crap too seriously. Plus it's history and civics, it really isn't very important to know who the First President is, you can be anything from engineer to CEO of a multinational without knowing the stuff that's on a citizenship test.

To apply this to the healthcare debate is crazy. If government education is so incompitent, then as a product of this incompitence shouldn't you disregard your own opinion Lowing?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Again, your "governments are utterly incompetent at every level" argument holds little water.
So in your mind a person who has no idea who the first president was, can probably do geometry? See, to me, if you do not care enough to learn who the first president was, even by fuckin accident, you ain't gunna give a shit about much of anything else.

and yes govt. is incompetent.
I had no idea who the first PM on Australia was until high school, and I really didn't care. I now know, but I still don't care, it's irrelevant information which doesn't effect me one little bit.

Ohh btw... I have a degree in economics.

Knowing pointless trivia =/= intelligence.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Have to go with PureFodder views here. Things like those were a joke in HS and just an excuse to get out of class and maybe free pens.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

I see, so according to your logic if a kid fails a test then the govt shouldn't have armed forces since obviously they won't be able to organise or control them?
Ei Em
+7|5460

lowing wrote:

See, to me, if you do not care enough to learn who the first president was, even by fuckin accident, you ain't gunna give a shit about much of anything else.
Everyone should determine on their own what is irrelevant/useless for them to know.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

School needs to be reformed, how do you expect a kid that grows up today to to learn something that is so god damn boring compared to fast paced videogames?

Education have to be reinvented tbh ... teaching from behind a desk haven't changed much the last 200 years ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6611|Your moms bedroom
Take this test NOW

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13442226/

I failed 50%, we didnt have to take civics in college lol
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Many countries have citizenship tests which the average adult citizen would fail.
Its no big deal.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard