Benzin
+576|5990
Looking for people that have a 64 bit OS. I am thinking of making the switch and getting 64-bit Windows 7, but I am somewhat worried that much of my peripherals and anti-virus stuff and such won't work. If I have to buy a new anti-virus license, fine, I can suck it up.

But what about drivers? I really can't afford a new printer if I get 64bit Windows. The printer is going to be 4 years old by the time I get the OS installed (doing all this in spring, but I want to get my ducks in a row), but will the drivers work? What about my webcam, will I need a new webcam? Same goes for sound. Will the sound drivers that are built into the ASUS motherboard I want (P5Q Pro Turbo) support a 64 bit OS, or will I need to buy a sound card that has 64 bit drivers available?

Help me to please answer some of these questions. I would love to hear that Windows 7 will be able to get around all of this since it's the next-gen OS, but I really don't know. BTW - I will be getting Windows 7 Professional (that has some kind of Windows XP emulator, yes?) if that makes any difference in regards to Windows 7 Home Premium in this case. Again, I would love to get 64 bit to take advantage of the fact that there really isn't any restriction on RAM and the fact that a 64 bit CPU will run better on it, but will the day to day hassle be worth the upgrade?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707
It will all work unless your printer is really really old. You can still install 32 it software you know... Anything that is made in the past 2 years should work 64 bit.

Check your printers comparability imo. Coz I'm not too sure around printer drivers...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6640

When Vista first came out 64bit drivers were an issue, but I can't say I've ever had an issue that was 64bit related.
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

ghettoperson wrote:

When Vista first came out 64bit drivers were an issue, but I can't say I've ever had an issue that was 64bit related.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
no issues with 64 bit here.
alexb
<3
+590|5931|Kentucky, USA

CapnNismo wrote:

Looking for people that have a 64 bit OS. I am thinking of making the switch and getting 64-bit Windows 7, but I am somewhat worried that much of my peripherals and anti-virus stuff and such won't work. If I have to buy a new anti-virus license, fine, I can suck it up.

But what about drivers? I really can't afford a new printer if I get 64bit Windows. The printer is going to be 4 years old by the time I get the OS installed (doing all this in spring, but I want to get my ducks in a row), but will the drivers work? What about my webcam, will I need a new webcam? Same goes for sound. Will the sound drivers that are built into the ASUS motherboard I want (P5Q Pro Turbo) support a 64 bit OS, or will I need to buy a sound card that has 64 bit drivers available?

Help me to please answer some of these questions. I would love to hear that Windows 7 will be able to get around all of this since it's the next-gen OS, but I really don't know. BTW - I will be getting Windows 7 Professional (that has some kind of Windows XP emulator, yes?) if that makes any difference in regards to Windows 7 Home Premium in this case. Again, I would love to get 64 bit to take advantage of the fact that there really isn't any restriction on RAM and the fact that a 64 bit CPU will run better on it, but will the day to day hassle be worth the upgrade?
Can you please post your system specs so I have a better idea of your system?
Benzin
+576|5990
I haven't built it yet ...

The printer is an HP Deskjet 5550. The rest of the computer will be built in March. It will have a Q9400, HD 5000 (maybe a 4890, though) and the rest is run of the mill. LG DVD drive, Western Digital HDD, etc.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6834|Reykjavík, Iceland.
64 bit issues are so 2005.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6437|Amsterdam‫

jamiet757 wrote:

Nic wrote:

no issues with 64 bit here.
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Defiance
+438|6662

Started with Vista 64bit about a year ago, now on to 7 64bit, no software problems (besides the video driver that constantly crashes, but hey, that happens to everyone!)

(To whoever karma'd this with "no, not really:" Hyperbole, yes, but TDR driver crashes are far more common than acceptable.)

Last edited by Defiance (2009-09-20 14:57:49)

nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5602|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
I am also looking to go to x64 Windows with my next computer. I have a relatively ld HP 1410v printer, which is supposedly Vista x64 compatible, it should work with 7, right?
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6166|Sydney | ♥

If you have issues installing any drivers, like (This driver was built for Vista) or someshit, just run the installer under compatibility mode for vista, and it will all work sexy like.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Benzin
+576|5990

Defiance wrote:

Started with Vista 64bit about a year ago, now on to 7 64bit, no software problems (besides the video driver that constantly crashes, but hey, that happens to everyone!)

(To whoever karma'd this with "no, not really:" Hyperbole, yes, but TDR driver crashes are far more common than acceptable.)
video drivers? ATi drivers?

Thanks for all the help, guys. Karma for every1.
Benzin
+576|5990
Another quick question, actually: What security software do you 64-bitters use?
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6712|Ireland | Monaghan

I'm using Vista home, works great!
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
acdc
+37|6567|SEATTLE, WA
Last time I tried to install drivers for my G15 / MX518 drivers were non existent for Windows 7 x64.

fml
Sydney
2λчиэλ

acdc wrote:

Last time I tried to install drivers for my G15 / MX518 drivers were non existent for Windows 7 x64.

fml
Vista drivers, run in compatibility mode for Vista.

Works for my G15, LCD screen, macro keys and the whole shizzle work perfectly.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6105|SC | USA |
Lol, I'm loving that now everyone thinks all of their shit won't work when they go to a new OS. Too bad no one remembers the switch from Windows 2000 -> XP. Microsoft switched code bases, causing the incompatibility fiasco. They kept with NT with 7, don't expect many problems.

I use malware bytes and NOD32 (64-bit version)
Sydney
2λчиэλ

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Lol, I'm loving that now everyone thinks all of their shit won't work when they go to a new OS. Too bad no one remembers the switch from Windows 2000 -> XP. Microsoft switched code bases, causing the incompatibility fiasco. They kept with NT with 7, don't expect many problems.

I remember the switch. There is a reason I was using Win2000 up until early 2005.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5475|Bolingbrook, Illinois
lol who uses anti-viruses these days
Sydney
2λчиэλ

HaiBai wrote:

lol who uses anti-viruses these days
AV is for people who can't use the internet properly.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

Had two and only two driver issues with 64-bit XP. One of them was easily fixed after some Google'ing.
Have not had any driver issues at all with 64-bit Vista.
Benzin
+576|5990

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

I'm not so much worried about switching to a new OS. I know about much of the compatibility mode stuff. I just didn't know about the difference between 32 and 64 bit. I read a short article somewhere that said that many drivers and stuff hook into the kernel and if they're written for 32 bit, they won't run on 64 bit. The article WAS from 2005, though, thus the reason I wanted to ask here.

Thanks for all the helpful responses, you guys have been great. Definitely will be buying 64 bit Windows 7.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard