razz
+7|6705|Australia

XxUNDEROATHxX wrote:

3rd. Dont get naything with the word "Value" in it. Espiscally your RAM. Get good stuff...
Why? Whats wrong with value RAM? Because it does have shiney heatspreaders on it? There is nothing wrong with value RAM, like Corsair or TEAM Xtreem.
uber73
+188|6775|Brisbane
u think corsair is value?

lol.
psychotoxic187
+11|6732

uber73 wrote:

lol.
Yes, corsair has value RAM. I bought some kingston value RAM, and I am satisfied with it, but it never runs at listed specs. I am getting a 2 GB set from either Mushkin, their extreme performance line, or OCZ.
razz
+7|6705|Australia

uber73 wrote:

lol.
Do you have any idea what I said?
Ryan
+1,230|6866|Alberta, Canada

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

go get new system ryan... ur looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too old
i wish...

we are 3600$ in debt, and thats only 6 weeks into the new year.
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6735
lots of value rams now got heatsinks.. and since i think of heatsinks as some important feature, it's very nice

that mushkin 2 gig ram looks very nice

it's like $130 with the cas latancy of 2.5... has heatsinks and all too
psychotoxic187
+11|6732
I think I am going to go with this set.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a … 6820146397
dink[emu]
+0|6681
Hey i'm in this guys same boat, right now using moms Dell, 3.2ghz P4 with 1gig slow RAM and ATI RADEON X300SE -- man this thing sucks.

I have a couple of questions, I'm going to get the Premium one from newegg I think because from what you said and it looks like the Deluxe version is out.  But the first guy recommended the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, is there something special about the ASUS A8N32 v. the ASUS A8N regular models?  Also I liked the idea of the optimized memory for the system, if it runs at a higher clock rate than what the motherboard supports however can I still use it?

Thanks for the help in advance.
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6719|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
well you cant get that mbo coz you have a pentium, getting that mobo would mean you would have to get an amd soket 939 processor, the difference in the mobos is that the sli deluxe has 2x x16 pcie slots instead of sharing the slots meaning the cards would only get x8 not x16
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739
u have to get a new case as well since ur dell case is too small for that mobo
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
dink[emu]
+0|6681
well I was planning on just building myself a new system, I need to get a big enough case clearly, I think i'm going to grab a Lian, they look nice and sturdy.  As for the CPU I think i'm going to get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Lt.Maverick|Lw|
youve now just been Pwned by the Mavster
+-1|6747
Id swear by the an8 sli deluxe mobo-thats what i have now...i just need a better to afford to get a 7800 and a dual core chip
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739

Lt.Maverick|Lw| wrote:

Id swear by the an8 sli deluxe mobo-thats what i have now...i just need a better to afford to get a 7800 and a dual core chip
rofl... this years the best year to upgrade, coz vista's comming out, dx10 etc etc
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6751|Australia
Value ram, Performance ram, it doesnt matter, its whats on the actual ram boards themselfs that matter, the ram CHIPS! See, OCZ has some Value Ram that has BH-5 on it, its value, but its better than the Best Corsair has to offer

ow yea, and do you need ur old pc anymore? can i have it for free?

Last edited by -_{MoW}_-Assasin (2006-02-12 02:39:10)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

Value ram, Performance ram, it doesnt matter, its whats on the actual ram boards themselfs that matter, the ram CHIPS! See, OCZ has some Value Ram that has BH-5 on it, its value, but its better than the Best Corsair has to offer

ow yea, and do you need ur old pc anymore? can i have it for free?
why? u wanna super over clock it and show ur best 3dmark scores? lol...
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6679|Chandler, AZ
I said dont get value because Ive had too many bad expirences with "Value" RAM. Im not saying that just because it says value means its bad....Its just a good indicator that you should do some research...Ive used the GIEL value and the Corsair VALUESelect in builds, and theyve only given me headaches. The timings werent bad, but I actually had to turn them up to 3-4-4-8 to run them at full DDR400 speeds when I was overclocking a 3500 venice....As opposed to my new 2GB of corsair XMS3200, which run at full 200MHZ with the timings 2.5-3-3-6...

my advice would be to go with good, solid RAM if your going to be using a high-end processor like the x2 series. I like Corsair XMS 3500 series as well as most of the OCZ lineup....

And yes, it is called the AM2 socket. It was believed to be called the M2, but the final release will not carry that name....

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh … spx?i=2688
Andre2kX
+0|6684
no real life
Badvock
Squishing Your Head
+1|6700|Bolton UK

washow wrote:

lots of value rams now got heatsinks.. and since i think of heatsinks as some important feature, it's very nice

that mushkin 2 gig ram looks very nice

it's like $130 with the cas latancy of 2.5... has heatsinks and all too
M8 Sorry to burst your bubble but Believe me heatsinks on RAM make NO difference whatsoever. It is a myth...a lie...a misnomer, call it what you will but Ram does not generate enough heat (at present) to be affected at all in any way shape or form....Heatsinks just look pretty, other than that they justa take up space and give your system another heap of metal to absorb and retain heat.

Last edited by Badvock (2006-02-14 17:08:56)

Maj.Do
+85|6775|good old CA
u sure? what about a oced ram?  has to be hotter
Badvock
Squishing Your Head
+1|6700|Bolton UK
Doesn't matter MAJ.Do the heat will not affect the ram. Even one of the heads of OCZ admitted that this was the case but they look cool so they sell better. With the heatsinks on there was something like 1fps difference in Benchmarks, I will try and find the review and post it here.
monkeyboy
+8|6688
The heatsinks depend on the overclock. The general consensus amongst overclockers is that heat is really only an issue if you're feeding the ram more than 3.0v (for tccd or bh-5) dunno about other ram-chips.

I've gotten my corsair 3200xl to run at ddr650 using just 2.9v, (instead of ddr400) so really the heatsinks are only nessesary for uber-crazy tweakers. Basically they're just there so the maunfactures can paint them a pretty colour so they stand out from the crowd. When all the manufacturer's are using the same parts, they need some way to make them look different.

As far as VALUE ram goes, It all depends on what you want to do with your system. If you've got even the slightest inclination for overclocking, then DO NOT GET VALUE RAM. If you're happy to run your cpu at stock speed, then value ram should be alright.

If you want to overclock effectively, you have to increase the speed the ram runs at, and VALUE ram almost always has zero headroom for this.   

Value ram has its uses, but any overclocker or serious gamer should avoid it like the plague.

Last edited by monkeyboy (2006-02-16 14:52:38)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard