FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6584|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Just depends on if you are a literalist when it comes to the Bible...which the majority of Christians aren't.
So we're going with the bible is wrong - or not meant to be taken literally.

Pretty sure the astrophysicist didn't from instability to garden of eden in six days.
Not sure which key word is missing, but the astrophysicist's explanation involved the theory of relativity and the difference in perception of time from the point of the Big Bang and from Earth today. The math worked out to roughly 15B years = 6 days.

So, not necessarily wrong if this guy's analysis is even close to accurate.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

PureFodder wrote:

Apparently the UK isn't far off in terms of not believing evolution.

The only person I have met that I know doesn't believe in evolution was a medical student, who I believe did well and is now a doctor.

As far as athiests being cosed minded with regard to a supreme being. It's based on their being no evidence for one. The closest anyone can get is lack of current understanding (ie. 'I don't understand how X works therefore God did it' type reasoning). If sensible evidence comes along then I'm sure most athiest will covert (and most religious people will have to as well). If I categorically state that goblins, the tooth fairy and Santa Clause don't exist just because there's no evidence that they exist am I being closed minded?
How is that even possible? The majority of the UK aren't even religious. Maybe it just means the majority of Brits are fucking stupid, and have never heard of evolution.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6673|so randum

ghettoperson wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

The only person I have met that I know doesn't believe in evolution was a medical student, who I believe did well and is now a doctor.

As far as athiests being cosed minded with regard to a supreme being. It's based on their being no evidence for one. The closest anyone can get is lack of current understanding (ie. 'I don't understand how X works therefore God did it' type reasoning). If sensible evidence comes along then I'm sure most athiest will covert (and most religious people will have to as well). If I categorically state that goblins, the tooth fairy and Santa Clause don't exist just because there's no evidence that they exist am I being closed minded?
How is that even possible? The majority of the UK aren't even religious. Maybe it just means the majority of Brits are fucking stupid, and have never heard of evolution.
More likely.

My sister doesn't know who Winston Churchill is, so go figure
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5759

FatherTed wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

More likely.

You're sister that got pregnant or do you have another sister?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

Punch your sister in the ovaries for me. Then, providing she's over the age of 16, under 120lbs and reasonably attractive, send me nekkid pix of her. thx
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6673|so randum

Macbeth wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

More likely.

You're sister that got pregnant or do you have another sister?
I have one sister.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6715|Texas - Bigger than France
Sounds like the movie sucks, which is why they don't want to show it.

Seriously....

...raise your hand if you want to see a movie about Charles Darwin.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

Pug wrote:

Seriously....

This man makes a convincing argument. Unless Darwin had to defend Earth from aliens, or Nazi's or something like that. Preferably with a hot female sidekick.
Pug

ghettoperson wrote:

Pug wrote:

Seriously....

This man makes a convincing argument. Unless Darwin had to defend Earth from aliens, or Nazi's or something like that. Preferably with a hot female sidekick.
Thats right.

Secondly, name a movie that's been spectacular in the box office with Paul Bettany as lead.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

Maybe if Bill Maher played the role of Darwin.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6855|Disaster Free Zone

ghettoperson wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

I think you'll find the majority are religious.

Christian     42,079,000     71.6%
Not stated     4,289,000     7.3%
No religion     9,104,000     15.5%
Total religious     45,163,000     76.8%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography … ed_Kingdom

EDIT: lol.. "the Census 2001 also recorded 390,000 Jedi Knights, making Jedi the fourth-largest "religion" in the UK"

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-09-14 11:54:54)

Pug
Darwin led an interesting life.  But it's not movie-worthy.
PureFodder
+225|6459

DrunkFace wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

The UK has a vast proportion of People who when asked will say that they are religious but don't regularly go to church, pray, read Holy books or do anything to indicate that they actually believe in God in any real way.

It's likely what Dan Dennett refers to as 'the belief in the belief in God'
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

Yeah, I'd guess the same thing. The only other way they'd get such a result would be if they held the poll in a church...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

PureFodder wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

The UK has a vast proportion of People who when asked will say that they are religious but don't regularly go to church, pray, read Holy books or do anything to indicate that they actually believe in God in any real way.
The same here, from my point of view. I know exactly three people who go to Church and read scripture regularly.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6855|Disaster Free Zone

PureFodder wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

It's likely what Dan Dennett refers to as 'the belief in the belief in God'
Probably because a large majority are protestant (Anglican) which doesn't put any enforces on going to church, reading holy books, praying or doing anything to indicate you believe in god.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6578|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Just depends on if you are a literalist when it comes to the Bible...which the majority of Christians aren't.
So we're going with the bible is wrong - or not meant to be taken literally.

Pretty sure the astrophysicist didn't from instability to garden of eden in six days.
Not sure which key word is missing, but the astrophysicist's explanation involved the theory of relativity and the difference in perception of time from the point of the Big Bang and from Earth today. The math worked out to roughly 15B years = 6 days.

So, not necessarily wrong if this guy's analysis is even close to accurate.
So basically, it was only 6 days from the perspective of God, which means that the passage should be taken metaphorically from a human perspective.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6279|eXtreme to the maX
IIRC Its down to compression of space time towards the singularity.
'Inside' the universe it seems to take billions of years.
'Outside' it could be over in six days.

A question is whether there is an 'outside' for god to sit in.

My point is by the time you get sufficiently decompressed for planets to form then 'inside' and 'outside' time are probably flowing at the ~ the same rate, so planet formation -> garden of eden is not going to fit the six day thing.
Singularity -> Formation of Hydrogen maybe.
Fuck Israel
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6895|Sydney, Australia

Dilbert_X wrote:

My point is by the time you get sufficiently decompressed for planets to form then 'inside' and 'outside' time are probably flowing at the ~ the same rate, so planet formation -> garden of eden is not going to fit the six day thing.

PureFodder
+225|6459

Dilbert_X wrote:

If God is omnipresent, he has to experience all frames of reference by definition. This means that God will have experienced our frame of reference too, so he will know all too well exactly how long it took from that reference frame.

Even if you thought that from some reference point it could take 6 days, obviously God made stuff in the wrong order, ie. he made the Earth before the Sun and the stars which is obviously wrong as Earth is made out of the remenants of an exploded star. He also made vegetation before making the living creatures of the sea. Vegetation has to pre-date the existance of the stars which clearly makes them at least 12.8 billion years old, compaired to the age of the planet, 4.5 billion years old?

Even with the wildest attempts at using dodgy extrapolations of relativity, the creation story is clearly not even approaching a sensible scientific theory.
darwin is pretty cool, worth watching
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6983|Nårvei

PureFodder wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

If God is omnipresent, he has to experience all frames of reference by definition. This means that God will have experienced our frame of reference too, so he will know all too well exactly how long it took from that reference frame.

Even if you thought that from some reference point it could take 6 days, obviously God made stuff in the wrong order, ie. he made the Earth before the Sun and the stars which is obviously wrong as Earth is made out of the remenants of an exploded star. He also made vegetation before making the living creatures of the sea. Vegetation has to pre-date the existance of the stars which clearly makes them at least 12.8 billion years old, compaired to the age of the planet, 4.5 billion years old?

Even with the wildest attempts at using dodgy extrapolations of relativity, the creation story is clearly not even approaching a sensible scientific theory.
But then again if God is truly all mighty he can make plants that are older than the stars without even breaking a sweat ... and that point alone totally crushes the pagan Darwinists and condemns them to suffering the eternal fires of hell ...

So there ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Purefodder wrote:

Yeah we know, just trying to put some meat on the bones for FEOS, while knocking down his argument.
Fuck Israel
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6848|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

Eehhhhhhh

The fact that we even need to talk about a singularity is a sign that something is quite seriously up with our model of the universe. Think about it - an infinitely small space with infinite temperature? You must be joking.

That's what happens when you try to mix quantum mechanics and general relativity. Funny things start happening.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its not MY model of the universe
Fuck Israel

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard