Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5759

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Actually, it is. Pretty much defines close-mindedness, as those who take that position refuse to even consider the possibility of a supreme being(s).
Either that or considered, looked at facts, lold, then took the stance of religion is a crutch.
That's a convenience to justify one's close-mindedness. Nothing more.
You can look at something and come to a conclusion, calling a person close minded because they didn't come to the same conclusion that you did even when you looked at the same set of facts just comes off as you not having anyway to argue or prove your stance.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

Nothing in evolution excludes the existence of a creator. Even an evolutionist takes a leap of faith at some point.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6578|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

You should visit rural, Southern Oregon.  I cound introduce you to countless examples of ignorant white trash.  Probably 90% of the people I interact with are either too stupid to understand the most basic concepts of evolution and, therefor, revert to christian mythology or believe evolution is the temptation of the devil.  I work with people who firmly believe that the world is between six and ten thousand years old and that  dinosaur bones are the work of satan.
Sadly, the same is true of where I live, and it's one of the many reasons I'm slowly making my way up to Toronto, where people are definitely more cultured and educated.
I honestly loled. America is very diverse in it's culture and education. It appears you live in an ass backwards uneducated shit hole. (By your own account)
My comment wasn't meant to imply that all of America is the way that my city is.  Thanks for putting words in my mouth though.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

I understood that when you said where I live. I loled at the slowly making my way up to Canada remark. I imagined a slow migration of sorts for you. .. trying out new states along the way.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
Ah...  I see.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6848|Canberra, AUS
Wow, that's impressive in a bad way.

I've yet to meet a person in person who believes in young-earth creationism. I'm thankful for it.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

If you believe the producer that is.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6326|what

Spark wrote:

I've yet to meet a person in person who believes in young-earth creationism.
I have. They refuse to accept any evidence, whatsoever. Especially geographical, when you mention tectonic plates, pangea, flora and fauna fossil evidence they still don't accept it. You ask where the evidence is of a great flood though, and they make up something ridiculous like the Grand Canyon has sedimentary layers as proof their was a flood.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6983|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

I don't buy that. The Davinci Code was more controversial than this. The distributors probably declined for other reasons and the producer isn't willing to face it.
Not the same exactly as the Davinci Code was not based on actual events as the author have pointed out on several occasions ... Evolution is a much bigger threat to the "believers" that don't trust their faith enough ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
PureFodder
+225|6459
Apparently the UK isn't far off in terms of not believing evolution.

The only person I have met that I know doesn't believe in evolution was a medical student, who I believe did well and is now a doctor.

As far as athiests being cosed minded with regard to a supreme being. It's based on their being no evidence for one. The closest anyone can get is lack of current understanding (ie. 'I don't understand how X works therefore God did it' type reasoning). If sensible evidence comes along then I'm sure most athiest will covert (and most religious people will have to as well). If I categorically state that goblins, the tooth fairy and Santa Clause don't exist just because there's no evidence that they exist am I being closed minded?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I don't buy that. The Davinci Code was more controversial than this. The distributors probably declined for other reasons and the producer isn't willing to face it.
Not the same exactly as the Davinci Code was not based on actual events as the author have pointed out on several occasions ... Evolution is a much bigger threat to the "believers" that don't trust their faith enough ...
I understand it's not exactly the same. But religiously controversial none the less. Distributors care about one thing.. money. The producers claim is bogus. What about Religulous?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I understand it's not exactly the same. But religiously controversial none the less. Distributors care about one thing.. money. The producers claim is bogus. What about Religulous?
Good points...  I'm pretty sure this movie will eventually make it here under some distributor, especially when you consider the success of Religulous.

What Fodder posted about the U.K. is pretty scary though.  In Canada, the story is a bit different.

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/16178

"Many adults in Canada believe the theory of evolution is correct, according to a poll by Angus Reid Strategies. 59 per cent of respondents think human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years.

Conversely, 22 per cent of respondents believe God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years, while 19 per cent are not sure."

The percentage isn't quite as high as I would've liked, but it's still an improvement.

Fodder's post does contradict another survey done in the U.K. and many other countries, however.  According to the source below, the percentage for Britain is 73.4%

http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=507

Of course, if the poll is being technical, Britain only accounts for part of the U.K., so technically, this poll might not have gotten results from Northern Ireland.

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-09-14 00:53:55)

Reciprocity
+721|6754|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I had no idea christian simpletons are so rare.  The born-again i work with thinks harry potter is satan's effort to indoctrinate children in the ways of witchcraft.  All part of living in the small town heartland of america.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6983|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Some people love to misunderstand tbh and some have great problems separating fiction from facts ... Evolution allthough based on certain facts will also still be a movie aka fiction, the people that rely on movies to confirm their believes have problems ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Spark
+874|6848|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

Spark wrote:

I've yet to meet a person in person who believes in young-earth creationism.
I have. They refuse to accept any evidence, whatsoever. Especially geographical, when you mention tectonic plates, pangea, flora and fauna fossil evidence they still don't accept it. You ask where the evidence is of a great flood though, and they make up something ridiculous like the Grand Canyon has sedimentary layers as proof their was a flood.
But that's evidence of a long-term series of deposits (layerS) not a short-term flood which would just leave a single thick single deposit and nothing after... hang on, never mind. Probably doesn't know what 'sedimentary' means.

PS. Try mentioning radiological dating. 99% probability that they talk about C14 dating and 99.999% that they go silent after you say "yes and so what? C14 is useless for these sort of timescales"
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6279|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Actually, it is. Pretty much defines close-mindedness, as those who take that position refuse to even consider the possibility of a supreme being(s).
I've considered it, reckon its improbable, will review the situation come the second coming.

Kmarion wrote:

Nothing in evolution excludes the existence of a creator. Even an evolutionist takes a leap of faith at some point.
This is also true.  The existence of the universe itself is so improbable it practically defies explanation.

It is funny that people in the US take creationism seriously though, either there are lot of them or they wield undue influence for it to be a national talking point.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-09-14 02:50:10)

Fuck Israel
Spark
+874|6848|Canberra, AUS

Kmarion wrote:

Hence the distinction between old and young-earth creationism. The former is just people making a point about their religious beliefs but still maintiaining a modicum of scientific common sense... the latter is just baloney.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6584|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Either that or considered, looked at facts, lold, then took the stance of religion is a crutch.
That's a convenience to justify one's close-mindedness. Nothing more.
You can look at something and come to a conclusion, calling a person close minded because they didn't come to the same conclusion that you did even when you looked at the same set of facts just comes off as you not having anyway to argue or prove your stance.
Coming to a conclusion is one thing.

Rejecting the possibility that your conclusion may be incorrect is something completely different.

The former is not close-minded.

The latter is.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6584|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

This is also true.  The existence of the universe itself is so improbable it practically defies explanation.

It is funny that people in the US take creationism seriously though, either there are lot of them or they wield undue influence for it to be a national talking point.
Replace "creationism" with any other discussion point. It's a vocal minority (at least the young-earth creationists), at best.

What gets press is what is controversial, not what is popular.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
madmax
+12|6435|perth, w.a.
science [evolution] nether confirms nor denies the existence of god
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

madmax wrote:

Either it denies the existence of god or it suggests the bible is wrong.
Creationism, as laid out in the bible, and evolution can't both be right.
Fuck Israel
FEOS
+1,182|6584|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

madmax wrote:

Yes, they can.

Just depends on if you are a literalist when it comes to the Bible...which the majority of Christians aren't.

There's even been an astrophysicist who did the calculations to show that the Big Bang theory isn't in contradiction with the six days put forward in the Bible. Quite interesting, tbh.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Just depends on if you are a literalist when it comes to the Bible...which the majority of Christians aren't.
So we're going with the bible is wrong - or not meant to be taken literally.

Pretty sure the astrophysicist didn't from instability to garden of eden in six days.
Fuck Israel
PureFodder
+225|6459

madmax wrote:

It does not, but as there is no evidence for a God, then the scientific assumption has to be that no God exists unless in the future sufficient evidence for a God existing is discovered.

It's the same as with dragons, Leprechauns and ghosts. There's no scientific evidence that they do exist so we assume they don't until some evidence shows up.

Religion on the other hand doesn't require a strict evidence based methodology into what it has faith in allowing religious folk to believe/have faith in whatever they want, just as long as they accept that science doesn't agree and doesn't have to agree.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

madmax wrote:

The bible was understood to be allegorical back around Galileo's time. Some of the worlds greatest scientist were Christian (Isaac Newton, Johannes Kepler, Nicolaus Copernicus, ..). The idea that the bible is a book of historical fact is only assumed by literalist.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard