Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

He was known for his outspoken anti-abortion protests all around Owosso.

"When I went into town, you'd often see him on his corner," says friend Ron Ackals.

And as he was picketing Friday morning outside Owosso High School, prosecutors say 63-year-old James Pouillon was gunned down-- shot up to 10 times-- by a drive-by shooter targeting the man for his message.

When 33-year-old suspect Harlan Drake was apprehended at his home, police learned more.

"Upon his arrest, he made statements he'd been involved in another homicide that day," says Owosso Police Chief Michael Compeau
http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/59066347.html
So what are the bets that this story will go overlooked as opposed to Dr. Tiller getting gunned down and it causing an antireligious, proabortion shitstorm?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

Macbeth wrote:

He was known for his outspoken anti-abortion protests all around Owosso.

"When I went into town, you'd often see him on his corner," says friend Ron Ackals.

And as he was picketing Friday morning outside Owosso High School, prosecutors say 63-year-old James Pouillon was gunned down-- shot up to 10 times-- by a drive-by shooter targeting the man for his message.

When 33-year-old suspect Harlan Drake was apprehended at his home, police learned more.

"Upon his arrest, he made statements he'd been involved in another homicide that day," says Owosso Police Chief Michael Compeau
http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/59066347.html
So what are the bets that this story will go overlooked as opposed to Dr. Tiller getting gunned down and it causing an antireligious, proabortion shitstorm?
CNN already did a story on this.  It's not being ignored.

The question is whether or not Obama will make an official statement regarding it like he did for Tiller.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6443|The Land of Scott Walker
Perhaps Attorney General Holder will direct federal marshals to "offer protection to other appropriate people and facilities around the nation" as he did in response to Dr. Tiller being shot.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2009-09-11 16:13:34)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

You Americans take your politics way too far.
Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

You Americans take your politics way too far.
No kidding.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

The question is whether or not Obama will make an official statement regarding it like he did for Tiller.

Stingray24 wrote:

Perhaps Attorney General Holder will direct federal marshals to "offer protection to other appropriate people and facilities around the nation" as he did in response to Dr. Tiller being shot.
The answer to both is the same: No.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Has the defendent said that he specifically targeted the victim for his beliefs, or is that all conjecture at this point?  I've read a few articles on this and it's all assumptions at this point.

Nonetheless, another victim of wanton violence.  I feel for the people that both victims left behind.

Edit: who cares if Obama addresses this act or not?  Give me a break.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Has the defendent said that he specifically targeted the victim for his beliefs, or is that all conjecture at this point?  I've read a few articles on this and it's all assumptions at this point.

Nonetheless, another victim of wanton violence.  I feel for the people that both victims left behind.
Are you implying that the media is basing a story on assumption and speculation?

That never happens.

KJ wrote:

who cares if Obama addresses this act or not?  Give me a break.
Only those who want to see if he's truly non-partisan when it comes to this stuff.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Stingray24

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

A member of the administration must address this as forcefully as they did the killing of someone who shares their point of view on abortion or their bias is clear.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

Whilst I believe in the right to get an abortion, this seems much more illogical than the other killing. After all, in the eyes of anti-abortion nutters, Dr.Tiller was a murderer, so killing him is justified. This guy was presumably just some douchebag that shouted a lot at political speeches.
Stingray24

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Has the defendent said that he specifically targeted the victim for his beliefs ...
Yes ...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/11/mic … index.html

Authorities say the suspect, Harlan James Drake, was offended by anti-abortion material that the activist had displayed across from the school all week.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Stingray24 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Has the defendent said that he specifically targeted the victim for his beliefs ...
Yes ...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/11/mic … index.html

Authorities say the suspect, Harlan James Drake, was offended by anti-abortion material that the activist had displayed across from the school all week.
That's actually the first I've read that.  I read this from another article:

Although authorities didn't specifically say that Pouillon was targeted for his anti-abortion views, his death was the latest high-profile shooting of a person involved in the abortion debate. On May 31, abortion provider George Tiller was shot to death in his Kansas church.
If you are too dense to realize that politics in the US are decidedly biased, well there's probably no hope for you.  Might as well keep mindlessly pulling that lever every 4 years.  That is, if you are waiting with bated breath to call out Obama's bias regarding abortion.
Stingray24
Of course there is bias.  The response (and lack thereof) of the administration to the deaths of individuals on opposite sides of the debate speaks volumes.  You'll notice it is the response of Attorney General Holder, not Obama, that I am waiting for.
Wreckognize
+294|6482
Wait, politicians are biased???  Who'dve thunk it...?
Stingray24
Bias in and of itself is not the point, it's the subject of the bias.  When an abortion doctor was shot and killed the attorney general mobilized federal marshals to protect abortion clinics.  No such response has been mobilized to protect pro-life facilities in response to this shooting.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6566|Mountains of NC

eye for an eye
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York

Stingray24 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

A member of the administration must address this as forcefully as they did the killing of someone who shares their point of view on abortion or their bias is clear.
Oh, so suddenly now you want these people brought to justice. Only if someone on the other side does the killing is it bad, right? Looking back at the Tiller topic, the only thing you said is you "hope he repented".

Give me a fucking break.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England

Stingray24 wrote:

Bias in and of itself is not the point, it's the subject of the bias.  When an abortion doctor was shot and killed the attorney general mobilized federal marshals to protect abortion clinics.  No such response has been mobilized to protect pro-life facilities in response to this shooting.
Probably because generally speaking there is a more violent attitude towards pro-abortion than there is towards pro-life, from what I've read there's usually bombings and shootings etc.. towards abortion clinics but this killing of an anti-abortion activist seems much more rare

The most ironic thing is that you'd expect it to be the other way round. You'd expect the pro-lifers to be much less violent and the pro-abortion activists to be more violent seeing as one cares so much about life and the other so little, relatively speaking.

And how pro-life people are usually pro life for religious reasons, yet they're the more violent ones. And how pro-abortion are usually non-religious yet tend to be less violent. It all just fits in with the general consensus about the correlation between religion and violence and the sheer hypocrisy of it all.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-09-12 09:16:38)

Turquoise
O Canada

Stingray24 wrote:

Even though I'm pro-choice, I agree.  I think someone like an Attorney General should not be biased.  Unfortunately, in practice, that's rarely the case.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6546|San Diego, CA, USA
Pretty sad really that this happened. 

http://catholicfire.blogspot.com/2009/0 … owner.html

BTW, I don't think this or any other crime should be adjudicated as a "hate" crime...its a murder, doesn't mater the motive.

Last edited by Harmor (2009-09-12 19:34:44)

Stingray24

Poseidon wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Oh, so suddenly now you want these people brought to justice. Only if someone on the other side does the killing is it bad, right? Looking back at the Tiller topic, the only thing you said is you "hope he repented".

Give me a fucking break.
I want every murderer brought to justice and I did not say it wasn't a bad thing that the doctor was murdered.  But nice try.  I focused on Dr Tiller's repentance in my previous post because he killed far more than one innocent human being and made a living doing it.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5992|Truthistan
So the guy killed two people and planned to kill a third and the police can't find the connection between the three people marked for death.

The connection could just as easily be that the murderer was a crazy from the same church or something else not related to this guys anti-choice activities. Apparently the murderer had a grudge against the three men. So I will reserve judgment on whether this was an attack on the first amendment until the facts some out.

BTW I guess this guy just learned first hand if harrassing emotionally distraught women and holding graphic signs in front of school children bought him a seat beside god or lucifer.
Stingray24
Notice post 11 for motive ...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard