Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6564|San Diego, CA, USA
https://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6987/solarroadways.jpg

Engadget wrote:

Solar roadways? Yeah, we've seen 'em before, but we've yet to see America's own Department of Energy give any one development company such a notable vouch of confidence. Just recently, the DoE handed over a $100,000 contract to Solar Roadways, which is just enough to build a prototype of the "first ever Solar Road panel." The 12- x 12-foot panels could theoretically be embedded into roads, and when shined upon, could pipe good, clean electricity straight into the grid. Heck, they could even boast LEDs in order to alert drivers to upcoming accidents or changes in road conditions. Reportedly, each panel would cost around $7,000 (at least initially), and if these were used on the entire US Interstate system, we could pretty much forget about using non-renewable energy sources to power our homes and businesses. Of course, our government is simultaneously wasting money on repaving perfectly good roadways with antiquated asphalt, so there's a tremendously great chance that this won't amount to anything.
Now if they could get induction under the road you could recharge while driving.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum
Wow.

Any studies out on durability, ecological impacts in the manufacture or anything?

Looks gooood though
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6015|The Mitten

Harmor wrote:

Now if they could get induction under the road you could recharge while driving.
But that makes too much sense...

Actually, i saw it posted here (I think), but i'm not sure of the feasibility: Artificial photosynthesis using solar energy, to make hydrogen fuel... use that to power generators, or cars, etc. etc...
EE (hats
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6732|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
That would be awsome, especially in places like west Texas and Arizona where there's lots of sun most of the year.  This could be a viable solution, at least in part, to some of our current energy prices assuming the cost comes down quite a bit.  Even if the cost is cut in half, that's still more than 1.5 million per mile, and considering how much road surface would need to be replaced for this to have a significant impact...
Laika
+75|5959
I dunno, but this strikes me as seriously cost prohibitive. How does it compare, cost wise, per area of roadway, to normal pavement? I'm also wondering how well cars will be able to handle on the panels.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

Lego's

Too bad the dmv/doe didn't have this idea decades ago.

Once a prototype is complete, Solar Roadways still has a long ways to go before its technology is commercialized. But if and when it is, Brusaw estimates that covering the entire U.S. interstate highway system with his 12′ by 12′ panels could fulfill the country’s energy needs (based on each panel producing 7.6 kilowatt hours of power each day).

It’s an expensive plan–each panel costs approximately $6,900–but a single four-lane, one-mile road plastered with Solar Road Panels could provide enough power to take 500 homes off-grid. And potentially, the panels could even create an “intelligent highway that will double as a secure, intelligent, decentralized, self-healing power grid which will enable a gradual weaning from fossil fuels.” A lofty goal, to be sure, but one that is worth keeping in mind–especially now that the government has given Solar Roadways the go-ahead.
I wonder how they would handle with a hazmat spill on them. .. or a fire. I can just imagine a chain reaction of explosions lighting up the interstate .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6427|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
That is a sweet idea o.o

I wonder how they'll handle the traffic pressure though, what with heavy braking, skidding, general commuting and such. Another sweet fact is that it operates at night via headlights Lemme find facts on $ per mile for regular pave.

I'm showing something between 900,000$ to 1,000,000$ per mile for 2 lanes of highway. Those panels aren't that much pricier

Last edited by SplinterStrike (2009-09-07 20:59:07)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

The orginal source http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/08/27/sol … oad-panel/ .. a little more info, but not much.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6121|eXtreme to the maX
$100,000 is peanuts for this kind of development.
Doesn't seem necessary or a good idea to try to dual-function something like a solar panel.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

I think the interesting note was that they were willing to actually commit money to the idea.. albeit very little.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6825|Nårvei

So you can soon drive on an inducted road and get a free x-ray at the same time ... nice
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6737|Sydney, Australia

Ataronchronon wrote:

I'm also wondering how well cars will be able to handle on the panels.
Also, while cars aren't actually factored into the calculations for road life cycle, damage, etc. (they just aren't heavy enough), trucks on the other hand... And that's where I don't see this working. There is no way that solar panels would have the structural properties required for bearing heavy vehicles.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

https://i27.tinypic.com/287ezoo.jpg

Well that's not exactly helpful info.. but that is the point of these developmental studies. To investigate the feasibility of such an idea.

Check it out: http://www.solarroadways.com/

http://www.solarroadways.com/FAQ.htm
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6690|Canberra, AUS

mcminty wrote:

Ataronchronon wrote:

Also, while cars aren't actually factored into the calculations for road life cycle, damage, etc. (they just aren't heavy enough), trucks on the other hand... And that's where I don't see this working. There is no way that solar panels would have the structural properties required for bearing heavy vehicles.
The current solar panels are fairly strong.

I want to see how this works.

I am concerned though that they seem overly reliant on wikipedia rather than peer reviewed articles... that just might be the layman's FAQ though.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BVC
+325|6711
The cost of the iraq war could fund about 400,000 miles of that stuff...
Barrakuda777
+86|6752|Somewhere near a shrub or rock
Dont know if any of you have ever seen the wave power generators?

This reminds me of an idea I had about using the pressure of cars passing over a road to simulate waves in a land based application of wave power, basically at the roadside (or down the middle of dual carridgeways) there are buried these wave generators, connected to cross bars embedded in the road, as a car passes over the section of road it depresses (only slightly) and transmits the energy into the wave generator.

Theoretically, you could have whole farms of these things running in parallel, and while I dont see it generating the same sort of energy as solar and powerving the vehicles, I sure can see it feeding into the grid.

Meh,
ghettoperson
+1,943|6665

Kmarion wrote:

I wonder how they would handle with a hazmat spill on them. .. or a fire. I can just imagine a chain reaction of explosions lighting up the interstate .
Die Hard 5 anyone?
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6737|Sydney, Australia

Spark wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Ataronchronon wrote:

The current solar panels are fairly strong.

I want to see how this works.

I am concerned though that they seem overly reliant on wikipedia rather than peer reviewed articles... that just might be the layman's FAQ though.
Not as strong as concrete or asphalt
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6461|The Land of Scott Walker
Guess they won't be building those in the midwest.  Rather difficult to get traction on them in winter and they'll be covered with snow.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6427|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

Stingray24 wrote:

Guess they won't be building those in the midwest.  Rather difficult to get traction on them in winter and they'll be covered with snow.
I see Texas getting it, or somewhere close by.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6635|Mhz

Stingray24 wrote:

Nothing to stop them being slightly heated too just enough to stop any snow settling.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6461|The Land of Scott Walker
I'll fully support that as long as it's warm enough to keep from freezing a film of ice over it.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6690|Canberra, AUS

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Nothing to stop them being slightly heated too just enough to stop any snow settling.
That might mean a lot of power usage. Heating ain't easy.

As awesome as this sounds something just tells me that some details haven't really been worked out yet.

'Course not, but then again, people have only needed to make them strong enough to survive a hailstorm, amirite?

---

I still would like more details. What kind of panels? Are we talking your average semiconductor panels? Or some of the more fancy technologies emerging?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6635|Mhz

Spark wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

That might mean a lot of power usage. Heating ain't easy.

As awesome as this sounds something just tells me that some details haven't really been worked out yet.

'Course not, but then again, people have only needed to make them strong enough to survive a hailstorm, amirite?

---

I still would like more details. What kind of panels? Are we talking your average semiconductor panels? Or some of the more fancy technologies emerging?
These things should generate far more power than they need, just means less power would be piped back into the grid when it's colder.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6121|eXtreme to the maX
Just off the top of my head these things won't generate enough power to warm themselves in winter.

Black asphalt absorbs practically all the thermal energy from sunlight and freezes over readily.
These things might be able to convert 10% of sunlight to electrical energy -> no chance of providing any real heat.

Its a dumb idea really, leave solar panels on the roof, protected, clean and out of the way, and use asphalt for roads.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard